"Horses for courses"......a flawed argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Alfred

Striker
IF Colin Wanker is genuinely under consideration as a replacement for Moyes it shows the club really can't think outside of the box and just want a quck fix to get back in the PL without addressing any of the issues that put us in the Championship with £120m of debt in the first place.

The only way anyone in his 60's should be coming into the club should be as a "mentor" to a younger manager taking his first steps in management......ie Hodgson and Neville.

No-one should be taken out of an environment where they've done well without having the same set up imported here and assistants who may have been crucial to the set up brought in too.....ie Pearson without Shakespeare.....

Probably the most important managerial appointment we've made since Roy Keane.....and imo THAT'S the type we need to make now.

Bob's just told us man, it's looking like McInnes

Of the ones linked I'd be happy enough with that.....AS LONG AS we've looked long and hard at what has made him successful (relatively) at Aberdeen and make sure he's operating in the same conditions here....no skimping on hiring assistants and being told to work with Bracewell and Stockdale.....sometimes it can take years for the absolute trust to develop between staff.

IF Colin Wanker is genuinely under consideration as a replacement for Moyes it shows the club really can't think outside of the box and just want a quck fix to get back in the PL without addressing any of the issues that put us in the Championship with £120m of debt in the first place.

The only way anyone in his 60's should be coming into the club should be as a "mentor" to a younger manager taking his first steps in management......ie Hodgson and Neville.

No-one should be taken out of an environment where they've done well without having the same set up imported here and assistants who may have been crucial to the set up brought in too.....ie Pearson without Shakespeare.....

Probably the most important managerial appointment we've made since Roy Keane.....and imo THAT'S the type we need to make now.
Now we've had a chance to look at who's been linked and what's available, who would your choice be mate? I would like a Jokanovic, Stam or maybe Wagner, but that seems very unlikely. Mentioned in another thread, but when you see names like Lambert and Warnock linked, then with what's available and what we can attract, then if we get Mcinnes or Monk then I'd be happy with that. Probably Monk being my preferred choice.

agree totally. Although aside from my preference of Monk, i dont really know of any other up and coming manager.

There are some really high profile ex-players currently not in management who on the face of it have a lot of attributes and fall into the "Keane category"......Gerrard, Terry, Lampard, Neville.

Now we've had a chance to look at who's been linked and what's available, who would your choice be mate? I would like a Jokanovic, Stam or maybe Wagner, but that seems very unlikely. Mentioned in another thread, but when you see names like Lambert and Warnock linked, then with what's available and what we can attract, then if we get Mcinnes or Monk then I'd be happy with that. Probably Monk being my preferred choice.

Personally I'd go down the ex-player route. I think one of the names I've mentioned could give us an immediate lift, would change overnight the negativity among fans and the media, would give us fresh ideas from someone straight out of a successful team used to working with successful managers and probably give us good access to the best youngsters on loan.

Last edited:
There are some really high profile ex-players currently not in management who on the face of it have a lot of attributes and fall into the "Keane category"......Gerrard, Terry, Lampard, Neville.

Personally I'd go down the ex-player route. I think one of the names I've mentioned could give us an immediate lift, would change overnight the negativity among fans and the media, would give us fresh ideas from someone straight out of a successful team used to working with successful managers and probably give us good access to the best youngsters on loan.
Interesting spin and i agree we need a more youthful manager with fresh ideas. Can't see any of them jumping straight into a job here mind, but I agree with the main point of it.

It's a PR ply man. Opinion was mixed on Mcinnes, until it was him or Colin. Now he's backed by everyone due to the alternative!
It's a conspiracy :lol:

Interesting spin and i agree we need a more youthful manager with fresh ideas. Can't see any of them jumping straight into a job here mind, but I agree with the main point of it.

On the face of it you'd think we wouldn't be able to attract that type but we aren't signing them as players and realistically none of them would get a more high profile club than Sunderland as their first gig.......all the tools are there and what an achievement it would be to have "successful at Sunderland" on your CV.....it got Allardyce his dream job.

We need to stop firefighting, thinking short term and demeaning our status and make a bold appointment imo.

Though I know I'm probably wrong, I still like the idea of Neville and think he could do a good job. Under the mentorship of a Hosgson would be even better for me but would be far too expensive for us for it ever to be reality.

Wagner would probably be my number one choice, even though he would still be a risk (no option available to us wouldn't be mind). If they fail to go up today then surely we'd be a tempting proposition for him even with the budgetary restrictions he'll be under and the shit state we're in? I don't think any of the teams in the Prem likely to be looking for a new manager this summer (Watford, Palace, Southampton, West Ham) will consider him just yet. I can't imagine that his salary at Huddersfield is astronomical so the compensation shouldn't be unmanageable. Maybe he wouldn't be tempted, maybe he feels loyal to Huddersfield and that he's just building something there but I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least test the water and sound him (and the likes of Jokanovic) out as well as exploring the likes of McInness too.

I was thinking Neville out of those he mentioned. Plenty will think he's shit though because of what happened at Valencia.
Aye, I thought that. Would be harsh to completely write him off based on that though. There were loads of extenuating circumstances there - too big of a first job, the language barrier, them being a bit of a basket case at the time. I'm not sure if the experience has put him off managing altogether mind.

Last edited:
Of the ones linked I'd be happy enough with that.....AS LONG AS we've looked long and hard at what has made him successful (relatively) at Aberdeen and make sure he's operating in the same conditions here....no skimping on hiring assistants and being told to work with Bracewell and Stockdale.....sometimes it can take years for the absolute trust to develop between staff.
I agree completely. The manager needs to bring in coaches who will set the tone that he wants to apply throughout the club. He needs to be confident that his message has gotten through to them and that they are able to accurately convey that to the players.

The manager can't afford to have any 'attitudes' hanging over from previous seasons, or people who are pursuing their own agendas.

Whilst obviously it will be the playing abilities on the pitch of the squad of players he assembles that will determine the fortunes of the club, in terms of promotion (you don't get points for good management and coaching if the team gets beat), the coaching regime must be such that it organises and encourages teamwork, so that 'on-the-field' success is a reasonable expectation in every game played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back