Hong kong airport riots.

Last time I went through Delhi airport it took more than 2 hours just to get through the transit gate as they were searching everything and only had one bloke on. I had hoped for a few pints as I had 3 hours between flights but I only just made the f***ing connection.
I was in delhi last year,similar story to yours,they aren't the most efficient.
We should of gave the people of HK the option of a independence vote long before handing it back to the Chinese when the lease ran out, China just use HK as a cash cow, the multinational corporations don't help they'll just continue with business whatever China enforces on the HK population.
We couldn't give them an independence vote,its like asking a tenant would they like to own the house when their tenancy is about to expire,it wasn't ours,we leased it,i was there during the hand-over,lived there for four and a half years,incredible place,but it was always china's.

We should of gave the people of HK the option of a independence vote long before handing it back to the Chinese when the lease ran out, China just use HK as a cash cow, the multinational corporations don't help they'll just continue with business whatever China enforces on the HK population.
It wouldn’t have made any difference. The Chinese wouldn’t have paid any attention whatsoever to a referendum result. Maybe we should try that approach...

I was in delhi last year,similar story to yours,they aren't the most efficient.

We couldn't give them an independence vote,its like asking a tenant would they like to own the house when their tenancy is about to expire,it wasn't ours,we leased it,i was there during the hand-over,lived there for four and a half years,incredible place,but it was always china's.
Can't think of anywhere else we gained during a war that we got a 99 year lease on, didn't happen with the Falklands or Gibraltar, HK is a bizarre one off situation, hope it ends well for the people of HK but somehow I can't see it.

I’m going in November. Luckily we haven’t booked the flights yet, they’re about half the price they were when we booked this time last year! Of course there’s always the chance that flight won’t land in Hong Kong 😂

They’re playing right into the Chinese governments hands.
They will go in and unfortunately it’ll never be the same again.

Think you might be right. Human rights in HK are gooing to get a lot worse from now on.
I can see the airport now becoming like Indian airports, security cordon at the front doors and you need to show your passport and a valid itinerary to even get through the door.
  • Amazes me more airports aren't like this as they are still a vulnerable target
[/QUOTE]

You can't get into Manila airport unless you're actually flying, and you need to show your ID plus boarding pass/itinery.

No chance we could have reneged on it, there would have been a war over it I think.

Last edited:
You can't get into Manila airport unless you're actually flying, and you need to show your ID plus boarding pass/itinery.
NAIA1 the old terminal used to be hell on earth flying into or out of NAIA3 was a marked improvement,nowadays if I have to fly in I bypass manila and transit through Singapore to Davao which is fantastic.

NAIA1 the old terminal used to be hell on earth flying into or out of NAIA3 was a marked improvement,nowadays if I have to fly in I bypass manila and transit through Singapore to Davao which is fantastic.

The old NAIA Terminal 1 was actually voted the worst Terminal in the world, and with good reason. In the 5 years I've been here it has improved to "bad" from "hell on earth".

At the same time, over these 5 years, most of the airlines I fly with to Manila such as Emirates, Qatar, Cathay, Quantas have all moved from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 (the only proper international standard terminal at NAIA). So thankfully I rarely use Terminal 1 now. Yeah Terminal 3 is fine. Terminal 2 is too small and Terminal 4 is domestic flights only but also pretty crap. Plenty of domestic flights also go from T3 as well.

I think Davao has got a new airport since I last went there in 2016.

The old NAIA Terminal 1 was actually voted the worst Terminal in the world, and with good reason. In the 5 years I've been here it has improved to "bad" from "hell on earth".

At the same time, over these 5 years, most of the airlines I fly with to Manila such as Emirates, Qatar, Cathay, Quantas have all moved from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 (the only proper international standard terminal at NAIA). So thankfully I rarely use Terminal 1 now. Yeah Terminal 3 is fine. Terminal 2 is too small and Terminal 4 is domestic flights only but also pretty crap. Plenty of domestic flights also go from T3 as well.

I think Davao has got a new airport since I last went there in 2016.
Davao has a new terminal mate but it was built before 2016 I remember the old one in the 1990s when some guy threw a grenade into the terminal,back then it was more like a nipa hut as no international flights used it and a tiny handful of domestics from manila and Cebu.

No chance we could have reneged on it, there would have been a war over it I think.
[/QUOTE]

Could have called their bluff I suppose.
Wouldn’t have been the first colony the U.K. government reneged on promises to.
Did this all come about due to the Opium wars and the Boxer rebellion? Not my strongest historical area unfortunately.

Could have called their bluff I suppose.
Wouldn’t have been the first colony the U.K. government reneged on promises to.
Did this all come about due to the Opium wars and the Boxer rebellion? Not my strongest historical area unfortunately.
[/QUOTE]

Afraid I also don't have much knowledge on this marra.

But happy to reach out to any wise SMBers who have knowledge of the background.

You'll probably have more fun without her there by the sounds of it. Enjoy.
We were going for her to do a lecture tomorrow. HKU has been smashed up and barricaded today so no chance of that happening :neutral: Spoke to 4 different people we know over there and all of them said it would be pointless heading out at the moment.

Gonna get a late deal and fly somewhere tomorrow instead.

Maybe for the best,a third rioter was shot and injured over the weekend,my son said its escalating slowly.
Aye, if he dies then it’s going to escalate a lot quicker! Also see the bloke get set on fire?

We stay at the Eaton and it’s been getting violent around **** Kok. Just seems daft going over to spend most of the time in the hotel.

Aye, if he dies then it’s going to escalate a lot quicker! Also see the bloke get set on fire?

We stay at the Eaton and it’s been getting violent around **** Kok. Just seems daft going over to spend most of the time in the hotel.
It’s heating up but setting a member of the public on fire is ridiculous :eek: my kids are studying there,I have told them if they get involved in any crap whatsoever I will skin them alive.

Back