Honeyman

Couldn't disagree more tbh. He was poor for long spells. Running around a lot and not much else
We need some of that energy now. Our best spells in games this season have involved him. Linking up with Gooch etc, who hasn't looked the same player since he's been out I might add, quick passing to feet and between the lines.
He's a cleverer player than he's given credit for.

We need some of that energy now. Our best spells in games this season have involved him. Linking up with Gooch etc, who hasn't looked the same player since he's been out I might add, quick passing to feet and between the lines.
He's a cleverer player than he's given credit for.
His pressing is really good, that's beyond any doubt. Its easily his best attribute and at this level it works well.

But that’s not saying we haven’t missed him is it :lol:

I don’t rate him, but we have missed having him available as he offers something different.

Once again, that’s not saying he isn’t a miss.

Hope this helps

We’ve missed them all mate

Why do you insist on making things up?

You were pretty keen to mock me when I said we needed more goals. We do like

No big deal anyway

George is an important link between midfield and attack. We miss his energy and if you’ve read anything about him since he became captain, or seen Sunderland Till I Die, you’ll know the players all love and respect him. He leads by example with that extra few % effort on the pitch and we’ve missed that in recent games. Is he the most gifted player at the club? No. Is he a miss when he isn’t playing? Absolutely.

This x1000, pick the best formation and stick with it, clean sheets and wins will follow.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Outstanding.

Yeop. If you have McGeouch in front of the back four, you can play Honeyman with Power/Cattermole in a midfield three. McGeouch then gives the two selected real freedom to push higher up the pitch and press the opposition into making a mistake.

Our clean sheets and best form came exactly when we did that.

Ross is determined to get two strikers on the pitch because Maja is pretty useless at either holding the ball up or running the channels, but the other strikers cannot match his goal threat. Maybe if we sign Grigg we'll get a bit off both, but for now he should just play Maja and be done with it. We'll have more possession if we switch to a midfield three anyway.

We'll trade off a bit of creativity, but the wide players will have to provide that.

People are talking about what players we have/haven't missed.

We've missed Honeyman, certainly. But also Ross has switched to a more 4-4-2 type formation and, though its loved on here, our results this year have been much worse with it than with a more 4-3-3 type variant. So the manager has to cop some stick for me.

Last edited:
We aren't desperate at all. Desperate would be not scoring at all. We're scoring in every game we play.
Would we like to score more? Yes without doubt. Is it desperate? Absolutely not

1 goal a game isn’t enough for us to win games to get us promoted like. :confused:

The point some are missing is horses for courses.

Having everyone fit and therefore all the different types of players available gives a) the manager different ways of beating the opposing team and b) allows us to field players who are 100% to play , not those carrying knocks etc c) makes our line up unpredictable to the other manager.

At he very least Honeyman would have injected some energy in what's been a demanding Xmas period.

I like Honeyman, but wouldn't mind seeing what O'nien can do in his role in midfield.

Think Honeyman has a touch more composure on the ball, but would be the clearest like-for-like. Problem is - O'Nien is our best defender at the moment!

we've not score more than 1 goal in 6 consecutive games, yeah we are getting pretty desperate mate

I don't want to bring statistics into your analysis, but are you aware we are on the longest consecutive games scoring streak in English football at 34 games?

Problem lies with the manager's formation for me. He's moved away from what brought us most consistency. Whether that is because of injuries/energy over a congested period, we shall find out in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Yeop. If you have McGeouch in front of the back four, you can play Honeyman with Power/Cattermole in a midfield three. McGeouch then gives the two selected real freedom to push higher up the pitch and press the opposition into making a mistake.

Our clean sheets and best form came exactly when we did that.

Ross is determined to get two strikers on the pitch because Maja is pretty useless at either holding the ball up or running the channels, but the other strikers cannot match his goal threat. Maybe if we sign Grigg we'll get a bit off both, but for now he should just play Maja and be done with it. We'll have more possession if we switch to a midfield three anyway.

We'll trade off a bit of creativity, but the wide players will have to provide that.

People are talking about what players we have/haven't missed.

We've missed Honeyman, certainly. But also Ross has switched to a more 4-4-2 type formation and, though its loved on here, our results this year have been much worse with it than with a more 4-3-3 type variant. So the manager has to cop some stick for me.

Nothing Wrong with this ^

I like Honeyman, but wouldn't mind seeing what O'nien can do in his role in midfield.

agreed with this, i think we may see more goals from him, in that role.

It's a good job we're averaging more than that then isn't it? We're the 3rd top scorers in the division

Not in the last 6 games, hence why we really need to sign some goalscorers

Christ even the manager agrees with me

Think Honeyman has a touch more composure on the ball, but would be the clearest like-for-like. Problem is - O'Nien is our best defender at the moment!

I don't want to bring statistics into your analysis, but are you aware we are on the longest consecutive games scoring streak in English football at 34 games?

Problem lies with the manager's formation for me. He's moved away from what brought us most consistency. Whether that is because of injuries/energy over a congested period, we shall find out in the coming weeks.

So what? We are scoring no more a goal a game in the last 6

What has the consecutive sequence got to do with it?

We need to score more goals to get promoted that’s a fact

Honeyman is a lot better

Time to get our best players in their best positions

Matthews to play right back too

George is an important link between midfield and attack. We miss his energy and if you’ve read anything about him since he became captain, or seen Sunderland Till I Die, you’ll know the players all love and respect him. He leads by example with that extra few % effort on the pitch and we’ve missed that in recent games. Is he the most gifted player at the club? No. Is he a miss when he isn’t playing? Absolutely.
This. Absolutely. He’s not world class by any means but his energy and what he offers would have made that little extra difference between 1 point or 3 in some of our recent games.

Back