Honda closing Swindon plant

Bad news for the British car industry, fingers crossed for Nissan

Honda confirms Swindon factory closure following consultation | Autocar

Having worked there years ago I can confirm the useless c*nts couldn't run a bath.

1. Piss poor place to open a car plant

2. Local Swindon mafia ganged up to ensure they got top jobs

3. shockingly poor decisions on development of global range (can't blame Swindon for that)

All this means they have to cut costs (Thailand and other cheaper labour hot spots) as well as try to save their Japanese plants all the while dreaming of their F1 glory days.

Costed a job in france where no non frenchmaterials at all were allowed!:eek: Take no shite the frogs.
I thought was against EU laws, countries were forced to look outside their own countries for tender?

Isn’t that why the likes of the UK passports are produced in bloody Poland or some such country?

I thought was against EU laws, countries were forced to look outside their own countries for tender?

Isn’t that why the likes of the UK passports are produced in bloody Poland or some such country?

I think the UK is one of the very few countries that actually pay any attention to such laws. Every country I have worked in bar ours has a huge degree of protectionism. Minimum % of local workers etc.

They are supposed to be open tenders from anywhere iirc hence UK passports made in france

They only make the civic there and the UK market is tiny compared to elsewhere
I don’t think it is mind mate, I haven’t seen the 2018 data yet but typically the UK is in the top ten car ownership countries in the world, we’re only behind countries with much larger populations I.e. USA, Russia, China, Japan, India, Indonesia, Brazil, France and Germany. In terms of new car registrations we’re even higher up the league I.e. only Germany higher in Europe.

The Automotive industry is reaching saturation, you can’t keep churning out cars at the rates they do and expect people to keep buying them, it’s unsustainable. Add driverless cars and the end of diesel to the mix in the next few years and ownership will plummet. The whole industry is fucked and only the strongest will survive.

Me too but it happened! 5/6 year back.
Iirc nothing without a french kitemark allowed on site and only approx 30% non french labour.

I don’t think it is mind mate, I haven’t seen the 2018 data yet but typically the UK is in the top ten car ownership countries in the world, we’re only behind countries with much larger populations I.e. USA, Russia, China, Japan, India, Indonesia, Brazil, France and Germany. In terms of new car registrations we’re even higher up the league I.e. only Germany higher in Europe.

The Automotive industry is reaching saturation, you can’t keep churning out cars at the rates they do and expect people to keep buying them, it’s unsustainable. Add driverless cars and the end of diesel to the mix in the next few years and ownership will plummet. The whole industry is fucked and only the strongest will survive.

I meant the Uk market for Honda mate - I agree with your post though.

UK Vehicle Manufacturing Data - SMMT monthly data

is not indirectly linked to Brexit though.....and one of the reasons why we have voted as a country this way. the EU has recently approved a free trade deal with Japan (not long after the vote if my memory is not playing games)

this allows them to import cars from Japan tariff free, cars that can be made cheaper in Japan, how many Japanese plants are there in other EU countries that would be at risk? so the EU has stiffed us again. they had to know this would put the UK plants at risk.

I can see a time we will put tariffs on the cars industry (we may have to), have a look in the car park, how many French, German and cars made in other countries can you see? we have to make it interesting to build cars here or harder/less cost effective to import, the numbers produced on this show we export 8 out of ten cars made in the UK and this number is used to bash us with to show we could not keep our plants open without export. on the other hand the stat shows only 4 out of 10 made in the EU27 (notice how they use ALL EU counties to skew the data) are exported. someone is playing with numbers. I find it hard to believe the French and German market could handle a huge downturn in production if we changed our buying habits.

Buy British. or made in UK

But it works the other way too, we can export to Japan tariff free. If we sign individual free trade deals with countries post brexit (Japan, US, China etc.) what do you think is going to happen?

From the link in Hells Bells post earlier :-

This is welcome news for the UK motor industry, which exported just over £1 billion worth of vehicles to Japan in 2017.

Which I have to say is a surprise to me, if we are selling 1 billion worth with the tariffs in place just think how much easier it will be without tariff.

Last edited:

Me and @Mackem00 aren't helping like. I keep my cars for years and years as well..

But it works the other way too, we can export to Japan tariff free. If we sign individual free trade deals with countries post brexit (Japan, US, China etc.) what do you think is going to happen?

From the link in Hells Bells post earlier :-

This is welcome news for the UK motor industry, which exported just over £1 billion worth of vehicles to Japan in 2017.

Which I have to say is a surprise to me, if we are selling 1 billion worth with the tariffs in place just think how much easier it will be without tariff.

It would be great if we actually had any domestic industry - but we don't. Foreign owners have no incentive to stay here now. We make nowt so we have no clout to paraphrase an old saying.

Last edited:
Me and @Mackem00 aren't helping like. I keep my cars for years and years as well..

It would be great if we actually had any domestic industry - but we don't. Foreign owners have no incentive to stay here now. We make nowt so we have no clout to paraphrase an old saying.
Never see a rust bucket these days.

Having worked there years ago I can confirm the useless c*nts couldn't run a bath.

1. Piss poor place to open a car plant

2. Local Swindon mafia ganged up to ensure they got top jobs

3. shockingly poor decisions on development of global range (can't blame Swindon for that)

All this means they have to cut costs (Thailand and other cheaper labour hot spots) as well as try to save their Japanese plants all the while dreaming of their F1 glory days.
Ah of course.

“The local Swindon mafia” firmly to blame

Definitely not Brexit :confused:

Back