Homophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard comments shouted by individuals in the past but apart from "the gallowgate end" chant I've never heard any other homophobic chant
I admire Gareth Thomas for coming out and being openly gay but I do think he over plays the homophobic card,just like Sol Campbell over plays the racist card.I'm not denying it exists but these days I think the vast,vast majority don't give a shit.
He's got 2 cards now - the anorexia one the other day unless I'm mixing him up.

Calling someone a puff because you think they're being soft is homophobic. By doing this, you are perpetuating the stereotype that gay people are soft or not manly. The word "puff" has developed the meaning of referring to a "soft shite" because the stereotype is that gay people are "soft shites". Puff is a derogatory term for gays and when you direct it at someone for being soft, the idea is that you're insulting them by calling them gay. If being called gay is an insult to you, you're being homophobic. If you consider it an insult to call someone gay, you're being homophobic.

This board is full of homophobia.

Calling someone a puff because you think they're being soft is homophobic. By doing this, you are perpetuating the stereotype that gay people are soft or not manly. The word "puff" has developed the meaning of referring to a "soft shite" because the stereotype is that gay people are "soft shites". Puff is a derogatory term for gays and when you direct it at someone for being soft, the idea is that you're insulting them by calling them gay. If being called gay is an insult to you, you're being homophobic. If you consider it an insult to call someone gay, you're being homophobic.

Give me strength!

Ffs :lol:

To be honest homosexuals in my opinion can live their lives as they wish with equality and without any interference from me or anyone else but it is the way that some of the self publicising flauntists act that irks me
The way that some go on appears to border on the act of public grooming with the attitude of we don't want equal rights but actually we want more rights than everybody else
I'm often gay but never have homosexual feelings
I'm just pleased that at present there isn't a open movement to make it compulsory

Bollocks

Which is kind of the point, every player we have ever had have been shit to some and brilliant to others in the crowd. They should be able to be Jack Rodwell bad and while they get stick for it their sexuality should never be mentioned imho. A footballer should be able to show up in the bar after a match hand in hand with his boyfriend/husband and nobody bat an eyelid but like fuck could they.

And yet despite knowing there are openly gay people on here and at match people still think homophobic language is acceptable? Homophobia seems to be the last form of discrimination that is still considered "acceptable" in some quarters. Cant imagine people putting up with individuals making monkey noises in the SOL and yet nobody challenges people making homophobic remarks.
:lol:

The one and only time I have ever complained about a post on here (years back now) a Mod told me that this is a board of football supporters mostly based in one of the poorest, working class areas of the UK and that casual homophobia should therefore be expected. To be fair to him he later apologised for his wording of it but that was what I was told at the time.

Am old in this game now and just take everything with a pinch of salt and laugh it off. Life is too short to be getting upset about name-calling and I have heard it all anyway. And to be fair, some of the comments I get can be very funny, too and not meant in any bad way at all.

As you know Alex I was that mod and I'm afraid that your post is a gross oversimplification of what was said in a long series of pm's.

It could be construed from your comments that your complaints were not taken seriously, whereas nothing could be further from the truth.

Although subsequently I may have qualified what I said, I can't recall apologising for my wording.

The board's T&Cs are quite clear so if a member considers any content to be abusive, and that includes homophobia and racism, then they should use the report facility and the matter will be dealt with.

To be honest homosexuals in my opinion can live their lives as they wish with equality and without any interference from me or anyone else but it is the way that some of the self publicising flauntists act that irks me
The way that some go on appears to border on the act of public grooming with the attitude of we don't want equal rights but actually we want more rights than everybody else
I'm often gay but never have homosexual feelings
I'm just pleased that at present there isn't a open movement to make it compulsory
Just for clarity, what rights are gay people campaigning for that straight people don't have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back