Homemade soups

Is home made soup good for a diet?
What kind of diet? A good soup made with butter is probably not the best for losing weight but there are probably many recipes where you can make a healthy nutritious soup.

My fave is lemon soup. Sounds weird but is absolutely lovely.

Last edited:

My mam's broth has been a bit tasteless last few year despite making it the same way for years, she needs to get the f***er sorted like:evil:
I myeslf have experienced this pitfall once or twice, and me mam has a few times despite normally getting it spot on. Is it just a question of seasoning do we reckon or could it be down to bland veg??? I make it as she told me... taties, carrot, turnip, parsnip, leek, gammon joint n broth mix.

I detested broth time as a kid. A turkey carcass and a load of lentils and barley.
I used to make a point of taking hours to eat it in the hope they wouldn’t make me eat it the next day. It never worked.
Turkey? Ham broth is lush, I'm not surprised you didn't like it with bloody turkey in it, yuck.

It's windy, getting cooler, so I'm making soup. My personal favourite is a minted pea recipe (potatoes, garlic, onions, stock, peas, mint, blended together.) I'm not sure that this can be beaten, especially with crusty bread.

Any other favourites?
Take the carcass of a Roast Chicken, stick in in a large pan and cover with water.
Boil for 30-40 mins to create a stock
Remove carcass and any chicken that has fallen off.
Add all sorts of veg - potatoes, carrots, parsnips, sprouts, onions etc - basically anything left over from your Sunday Lunch
Add some bacon or ham
Add some seasonsing - salt, pepper, maybe some chili flakes
Simmer for a couple hours
Mash the veg, or whizz up in a food processor (depending on how "chunky" you like your veg soup")

Last edited:
That looks really good, have bookmarked.

Indeed, takes me back to Boudins in SF..
:cool:
I had one like that in San Francisco in a round crusty loaf of bread and the Mrs had fish and chips. I gave her a little taste and no more (proper jelous) :lol:.

Next day we were on that pier and she asked for the chowder and it came out in a tiny little bowl :lol:

Back