Homelessness

dangermows

Striker
It is well known that there are many more men than women who are homeless yet there appears to be a big drive to support women. Shouldn't charities be doing more to address the fact that more support is needed for men? Or is it a case that we as a society still see women as being more vulnerable and therefore a priority?

It is well known that there are many more men than women who are homeless yet there appears to be a big drive to support women. Shouldn't charities be doing more to address the fact that more support is needed for men? Or is it a case that we as a society still see women as being more vulnerable and therefore a priority?

To be fair, I've never seen a charity which makes more of an effort to support homeless women than men.

Seems to be much more publicity surrounding homeless women, with many charities highlighting their plight of late.

I think many will Harold.

Can you specify one?
I'm not saying they're not, I'm just looking for examples.

I think Harry might be right in saying that people are more triggered by lone homeless women than men.
Not that they don't care about homeless men, but homeless women are perhaps perceived as being more vulnerable

To be fair, I've never seen a charity which makes more of an effort to support homeless women than men.

There's a handbag one. You fill an unwanted handbag with toiletries, knickers and sanitary products and they're given to homeless women. Someone round here was collecting them but I can't remember the name of the charity.

Minister for homelessness Heather Wheeler MP said: “It is simply unacceptable that anyone has to sleep on the streets, and I recognise that women sleeping rough are even more vulnerable than men. That is why this government is providing additional support including frontline workers trained to support homeless domestic abuse survivors."

Can't say I've seen anything highlighting the plight of the homeless. Where's the big drive happening on adverts or something ?

Read a few articles of late and a prog was on recently Actually seems to be coming from central government, with charities being encouraged to do more too.

Minister for homelessness Heather Wheeler MP said: “It is simply unacceptable that anyone has to sleep on the streets, and I recognise that women sleeping rough are even more vulnerable than men. That is why this government is providing additional support including frontline workers trained to support homeless domestic abuse survivors."

Read a few articles of late and a prog was on recently Actually seems to be coming from central government, with charities being encouraged to do more too.
I was about to post the only time I have ever really seen homeless women being 'promoted' ahead of just general homelessness is when it comes to domestic abuse though more often where kids are homeless with them - not necessarily on the streets but in shelters. I think they should definitely be prioritised.

I could be wrong, but I think it has a lot to do with homeless women getting embroiled in prostitution, specifically targeted. Add drugs into the mix and you're down a slippery slope

Can you give us a roundup of your future topics ?
I don't want to miss anything interesting.

Back