Homeless people

Not as easy as you think mind. I think even with the ability to shelter some people, there are some who prefer their life.
I remember there was a bloke in Manchester who found someone's wallet and handed it in. The public wanted to thank him, get him off the streets etc and the authorities (I think) found him a place to live etc.
He refused because they had a strict drug policy I think. If I can find the story I'll put it up, but to me that was like looking a gift horse in the mouth - but I also see it as being his choice. Albeit a mental one in my opinion.
Oh definitely mate. 100% agreed. It’s seems like there is a lot of help out there in Sunderland as we have very few homeless people, even in the northeast the problem isn’t massive to be fair considering like you say some will want to live like that, some will be queue jumping on housing lists. Unfortunately like most things nowadays the issue becomes wrapped in politics and social media garbage demeaning sometimes of the hard work people put into tackling these issues for real.

There's a big issue seller in Bishop, or used to be, and I have no idea where she was shipped in from.
That might sound callus, but I genuinely don't know who at the Big Issue decided to send her down the town.
I'd be amazed if she got a sale. She also had the most miserable sales pitch I can remember hearing.

What the fuck are they supposed to do with that?
Make a small fort out of sossidge rerls
I may go to hell (luckily it doesn't exist) but I have never even contemplated buying a homeless person food or drink.

I've told this story on here on numerous occasions about someone I knew who saw a homeless person outside a shop in Manchester.
He went in and bought him a bottle of orange and a sandwich, presented him with it and was told "I don't like tuna".

Now, that's fair enough, but the polite thing to do would have been to say thanks and then either traded it or gone in and said, I've just been bought this, can I swap it for this one or something.
Either way, that's always stayed with me

Last edited:
Make a small fort out of sossidge rerls

I've told this story on here on numerous occasions about someone I knew who saw a homeless person outside a shop in Manchester.
He went in and bought him a bottle of orange and a sandwich, presented him with it and was told "I don't like tuna".

Now, that's fair enough, but the polite thing to do would have been to say thanks and then either traded it or gone in and said, I've just been bought this, can I swap it for this one or something.
Either way, that's always stayed with me
Beggars can be choosers

To be fair to the people on the street, most are probably in the grip of severe drug or alcohol dependencies, they can only get through so many sarnies and cups of tea. They won’t think or prioritise like a “normal” person.
This, they’ll want the old heroin mate, most of the time, or methamphetamines, a cup of tea won’t touch the sides

I may go to hell (luckily it doesn't exist) but I have never even contemplated buying a homeless person food or drink.
I'm sure there are worse things people can do in life. Would reading this thread and having a chance to think about it eer change that in future do you think?

It's not really our job after all. There are many different reasons why people become homeless. Regardless of the reasons, for a government to give tax breaks to very wealthy people while there are people sleeping in cardboard boxes, strikes me as broken system - or at least a system that massively favours the wealther (which I would call broken).

I'm sure there are worse things people can do in life. Would reading this thread and having a chance to think about it eer change that in future do you think?

It's not really our job after all. There are many different reasons why people become homeless. Regardless of the reasons, for a government to give tax breaks to very wealthy people while there are people sleeping in cardboard boxes, strikes me as broken system - or at least a system that massively favours the wealther (which I would call broken).
No. I'm sure there are sad tragic cases on the streets but I reckon any gifts of charity just keep them on the streets and also feed the habit they will have.

If I was concerned I would give money to homeless charities but, I will admit, I'm not concerned.

No. I'm sure there are sad tragic cases on the streets but I reckon any gifts of charity just keep them on the streets and also feed the habit they will have.

If I was concerned I would give money to homeless charities but, I will admit, I'm not concerned.
For many of them it’s a career choice, no financial responsibilities, just earn a few quid and shoot it up your arm every day.

It sounds a great life in the summer months especially.

For many of them it’s a career choice, no financial responsibilities, just earn a few quid and shoot it up your arm every day.

It sounds a great life in the summer months especially.
Of course that is true. However, for many it is not.

It's similar to the Benefits Street perspective many Tories have. "Bloody scroungers" etc... "Why should I pay for others when they do nothing?" etc I'm not saying you or Harry have that opinion, but it is what I hear from people who live in my neighbourhood. It's blue through and through. Nauseating at election time to see the signs up. They live in a bubble and they never get to see how the other half live. I think they'd be quite shocked if they actually took a moment to step out of their comfort zones and look into the plight of the very poor in this country, many of whom suffer through not fault of their own.

Still.... so long as the rich get tax cuts and now Labour have lost Scotland then the Tories will keep being voted in. I don't expect anything to change in the next 10 years.

Of course that is true. However, for many it is not.

It's similar to the Benefits Street perspective many Tories have. "Bloody scroungers" etc... "Why should I pay for others when they do nothing?" etc I'm not saying you or Harry have that opinion, but it is what I hear from people who live in my neighbourhood. It's blue through and through. Nauseating at election time to see the signs up. They live in a bubble and they never get to see how the other half live. I think they'd be quite shocked if they actually took a moment to step out of their comfort zones and look into the plight of the very poor in this country, many of whom suffer through not fault of their own.

Still.... so long as the rich get tax cuts and now Labour have lost Scotland then the Tories will keep being voted in. I don't expect anything to change in the next 10 years.
Should just put them all in prison where they can get the help they need. They used to put people in debtors jails not too long ago, it would create a lot of jobs and clean up the streets of filthy smack needles and piss Stained mattresses etc.

Back