Homeless people

I may be shot down but I wouldn't be happy if 28 homeless people were staying in a hotel I'd booked over Christmas. These people have serious issues and live chaotic lives. The hotel won't have the staff to deal with any incidents that will arise. Unless the charity have some social workers on hand when it kicks off.

There was a similar incident last year when a Travelodge/Travel Inn cancelled a booking for a local homeless charity and it caused outrage even though the hotel concerned gave some fairly good reasons why. Previous bookings had resulted in criminal damage and some of the homeless people refused to give their names so they couldn’t be put into the computer which breaches their health and safety regulations regarding fire safety.

I may be shot down but I wouldn't be happy if 28 homeless people were staying in a hotel I'd booked over Christmas. These people have serious issues and live chaotic lives. The hotel won't have the staff to deal with any incidents that will arise. Unless the charity have some social workers on hand when it kicks off.
It's a Brittania hotel. The homeless are probably cleaner than the paying guests.

Just sent a cheque to the Salvation Army Christmas appeal.
I’m not religious but they do some good work and should be helped.
Same here mate, not really religous but I stick a fiver in the old blokes collection tin every Saturday. He stands there,respectfully, peacefully in his uniform not bothering anyone and you know the money is going straight to them.

The others can fuck off unfortunately, I don't like being harassed and shouted at while I'm shopping. Then you find out that the charities only get a fraction of the money and they want sign ups and credit cards ffs.

Genuine homeless folk I completely feel for.

The drunks in Durham who make out theyre homeless I’m completely sick of.

You'd love the Manchester Spice Zombies.

That did cross my mind as well. If you've got people who've paid to stay in the hotel for a break but are disturbed by others kicking off, it's not fair on those people.

Two nights in a hotel isn't going to fix things for the homeless people. I'd rather the money was spent on longer term solutions getting them whatever help they need to improve their lives.

As Desmond Tutu says
"At some point we have to stop pulling people out of the river but go up stream and find out why they're falling in"

This happens week in week out in hotels without homeless people being there.

What happens?

It's a Brittania hotel. The homeless are probably cleaner than the paying guests.

So staff to guest ratio will be very very low. I can see why they would refuse that booking. Not great for PR but I wouldn't want to deal with 28 homeless people in a hotel without adequate staffing and professional help.

Last edited:
What happens?

So staff to guest ratio will be very very low. I can see why they would refuse that booking. Not great for PR but I wouldn't want to deal with 28 homeless people in a hotel without adequate staffing and professional help.
Indeed. But no doubt people will run with the story of them being utter bastards

Any problems just remove them as you would any other guest I reckon. I think the charity surely must have their own staff there as well.

I personally just see the whole thing as a waste of their own funds. Why bother with booking a hotel at all. Surely the money would be better spent maintaining standards in a decent homeless hostel or money towards their associated upkeep i.e. food or recreation. I don't think they will be overflowing with money.

my joke is so shit I'm not going to explain it.

on a serious note I feel sorry for homeless folk something needs to change
a lot of them seem to be on drugs though so I won't be giving them my money or my drugs for that matter
In fairness if I was living on the street, just waiting for some passing lad to give me a kick for daring to sleep in a shop doorway I'd quite fancy getting some altered reality.
Also given many homeless people also have mental health conditions they may be trying to self medicate, given the difficulties accessing the services they really need

You'd love the Manchester Spice Zombies.

As Desmond Tutu says
"At some point we have to stop pulling people out of the river but go up stream and find out why they're falling in"

More railings on the riverbank seemed to work in Durham for the pissed-up students who couldn't handle their drink.

Back