Homeless people

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date

Aye I'm not sure across the country so I can't comment but ages ago due to a stupid technicality in the system I had to go on jobseekers allowance for two weeks ( it's a long story and off topic but I didn't want to or need to if it wasn't for a stupid flaw in the education system, never wanted to take anything from the state in my life) anyway while I was there I had to visit the official who discussed options with you, we had nothing to discuss really but we had to sit for an hour so we got chatting about the amount of homeless in there and he basically explained that if you are homeless in york it is a choice or you're hooked on drugs. They provide a suit, a place to get cleaned up, do your basic 3 gcse's to get back in employment, they provide everything you could possibly need and he explained it all in detail.

On the other end I spoke to a homeless guy who's timeslot was at the same time and the 2nd week he explained that is basically the case but he just doesn't feel like he can work and he feels more suited to the homeless lifestyle. He says he does what he has to in order to get what money he can and then in the winter goes to one of the shelters, not a proper one, apparently the homeless have set their own up in certain locations out the way around the city.

I don't know how much truth was in either statement but it does seem like drugs and mental health is the majority problem with all of this. That and funding obviously

Also can’t comment on the wider issue but there’s a well known homeless person in Macclesfield called John, one of the few you see regularly in the town.

He has little desire to get back into a normal life because so many people will buy stuff for him - books from charity shops, a little reading torch, even a tent! He sees his current lifestyle as being a lot easier for him.

Depends if I'm pished or not.

Was out in Liverpool for that 6-2 game and ended up looking after some fellas bags before going to the cashpoint for him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Manchester is an eye opener. Particularly the drug problem. Mentioned it on another thread recently but Piccadilly Gardens is like a zombie film the amount of homeless people off their tits on spice there.

Newcastle is getting worse for it as well.
That spice is f***ing insane. Seen a guy on it in Manchester a month ago and honestly he might aswell have been in the walking dead

Also can’t comment on the wider issue but there’s a well known homeless person in Macclesfield called John, one of the few you see regularly in the town.

He has little desire to get back into a normal life because so many people will buy stuff for him - books from charity shops, a little reading torch, even a tent! He sees his current lifestyle as being a lot easier for him.
I remember when I was a kid there was a guy in Leeds who got found out that he had a beach house in Spain but he begged all summer here and made enough to live all year. If you can be arsed to lie still for 18 hours a day in a busy spot I guess you could make an alright amount of money. Obviously this is a one off... please don't shout at me for demonising the homeless crybabies ;)

It's hard to know who is genuine and who is not.

There used to be a homeless man outside my old who I'd give any spare change to or bring him over a sandwich and a cup of tea or soup. He was always grateful. He even turned down money from me one day because he said I do enough for him.

But I met another couple who asking for money to get a cup of tea. When I told them that the local church around the corner run a soup kitchen they told me to fuck off!

I think some of them treat it as a profession tbh.

Without question. Can't exactly be a nice profession, but maybe they're so far down the rabbit hole, they just stick with it.
There was a homeless bloke in Manchester who found someone's wallet and handed it in - had cash in it IIRC - people wanted to help him and someone even offered him a room at some housing place, on the condition he didn't do drugs etc.
He turned them down.

Ok, sorry I meant adults.

Hmm, you might need to clarify that a bit further, but I think I know what you mean

I think some of them treat it as a profession tbh.
Course they do or else why would they sit on the floor when there's a park bench nearby? Marketing.

Having said that it's hardly a great profession! I feel for them but it's pointless giving them money as what good could come out of it? Better to give to a homeless charity imo

You're not disadvantaged by being deaf in a nightclub.
No, I just thought he was a cheeky fucker begging money then spending it in the same place as me

Course they do or else why would they sit on the floor when there's a park bench nearby? Marketing.

Having said that it's hardly a great profession! I feel for them but it's pointless giving them money as what good could come out of it? Better to give to a homeless charity imo
I went for the last metro home from Newcastle the other week and there was a stampede of them towards the metro station. Either catching the last train home after a hard night’s begging, or to catch the punters at the station.

That spice is f***ing insane. Seen a guy on it in Manchester a month ago and honestly he might aswell have been in the walking dead

Saw a bloke absolutely comatose on a bench in Wigan due to it. Literally looked like a corpse.
It's the medical staff who have to then deal with it after I feel sorry for too.

No, I just thought he was a cheeky fucker begging money then spending it in the same place as me

And that's why you don't give them money.

Last winter I commented on here about the large number of homeless people in Nottingham. Iirc a poster on here told me that there were enough hostel spaces for people and that a lot of people ‘commute’ into city centres to beg and to pretend to be homeless.

Back