Homebrewing - Part 3

@Mickdundee @Wilfy lads, do you put your AG recipes together in software like Brewfather? I’m on the lookout for some recipes to build on, and adapt. I know brewdog released all their recipes and someone has put a canny web site together here Recipes - BrewDog Recipes

which is a canny starting point. Just interested as to what people do/use.

just taken a reading of the first full size AG brew I’ve done. A basic IPA, been bubbling away canny all week, and slowed down this weekend. Will give it another week and cold crash it next Sunday. My readings suggest the numbers are spot on. Looking at about 6.05%:cool:
Don’t fall for that 2+2+2 bollocks that most people tell you is the only way to produce good beer. For hoppy beers the sooner you get them ready for drinking the better. Once you’ve hit fg just give it 2 days then cold crash for a few days then bottle/keg.

I always used beersmith for recipes, it costs a few quid but I thought it was worth the money.

Don’t fall for that 2+2+2 bollocks that most people tell you is the only way to produce good beer. For hoppy beers the sooner you get them ready for drinking the better. Once you’ve hit fg just give it 2 days then cold crash for a few days then bottle/keg.

I always used beersmith for recipes, it costs a few quid but I thought it was worth the money.
I was wondering about the wisdom of leaving it that long in the Fv like. If the airlock activity has stopped, and I’m at the gravity I aimed at. I’ve read the yeast cleans up unwanted compounds after activity looks like it’s stopped. Is it bollocks then?

I was wondering about the wisdom of leaving it that long in the Fv like. If the airlock activity has stopped, and I’m at the gravity I aimed at. I’ve read the yeast cleans up unwanted compounds after activity looks like it’s stopped. Is it bollocks then?
No, it’s true but it only takes a day or two. By the time you’ve taken a stable gravity reading 3 days apart it’ll be done cleaning up.

Just opened the test bottle of my first big batch all-grain IPA - under the guise of ‘checking the carbonation’ it’s the only pet bottle I’ve used in this batch so I could check I wasn’t making bottle bombs as it was carbing up.

Its a 6% beer, and I’m a bit disappointed with the cloudiness (protafloc bought for next batch) but apart from that It’s alright.

was planning on just checking carbonation but fuck that. Down the hatch.

working from home is class :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lads- do yous reckon the wherry n cider would be fine to try or bin after 8 month? All stood up in bottles, should you do anything differently before pouring?

Re: Homebrewing - Part 2

Pretty gutted here.

Been waiting months for my lager to condition and improve. Its been in the shed for about a month now so its had 3 months.

Just cracked a bottle tonight, and it tastes exactly the same as 6-8 weeks ago when I tried it. i.e. it tastes of that nasty home brew taste.

So that's the 2nd batch that's going straight down the drain.

That's me done with lager. Waste of time and effort (and money)

Pretty pissed off. :evil:
I haven’t read the whole thread so sorry if already answered, but have you considered making wine?

There is an abundance of elderberries and blackberries around here so next August I’m hoping to make up a shit load of elder and blackberry wine.

Never tried making wine before so no idea how tricky it is.

I haven’t read the whole thread so sorry if already answered, but have you considered making wine?

There is an abundance of elderberries and blackberries around here so next August I’m hoping to make up a shit load of elder and blackberry wine.

I made a blackberry wine donkeys years back. Turned out brilliant. From memory, 5kg of blackberries boiled in water, about a kilo of sugar and strained it. Country wine yeast. I let it ferment out and then laid it down for a year. Ended up with a really full bodied red.

Another option is just to make some tea wine. @jubblies

Been out of the game for a few years now mate. Since we decided to move house. Got too much on to be doing that stuff right now.
Lads- do yous reckon the wherry n cider would be fine to try or bin after 8 month? All stood up in bottles, should you do anything differently before pouring?
Wherry probably only just starting to drop from its peak
Cider likely perfect now.

Thanks to @Wilfy I found this thread.
Just started brewing again after quite a few years.
Got a wilko lager on the go and a raspberry lowicz turbo cider.
Been adding a lot of kit to my old stuff and collecting bottles I've drank.
(A lot in a short space of time so realised how much i drink 😳😁)

Used to mainly brew wine and will be again along with turbo cider.

The lager kit is 5 years out of date so I'll see how it turns out after adding new yeast 👍😁

Cheers 🍻

Can any home brewers take a look at this and say whether it could be good. I'm a mug for a gimmick and it sounds class.

Expensive for what it is - it’s fermenting a malt extract kit under pressure basically. From what I’ve heard you have to vent it before serving so will probably only last a couple of days once started (although it’s only 10 pints so if you drink 3-4 pints on a Friday and Saturday and finish it in a Sunday you’ll be fine).

If they go tits up you’re stuck with a useless machine and at the moment you are tied in to buying the “refills” from them. £15 for £10 is expensive for an extract kit that makes 10L too - for an extra fiver you can get a premium 40L Homebrew beer kit.

If you just want it as a bit of a gimmick then it’s probably a fun bit of kit, but if you decide you want to start with bigger Homebrew kits you need to buy a whole extra set of equipment.

Expensive for what it is - it’s fermenting a malt extract kit under pressure basically. From what I’ve heard you have to vent it before serving so will probably only last a couple of days once started (although it’s only 10 pints so if you drink 3-4 pints on a Friday and Saturday and finish it in a Sunday you’ll be fine).

If they go tits up you’re stuck with a useless machine and at the moment you are tied in to buying the “refills” from them. £15 for £10 is expensive for an extract kit that makes 10L too - for an extra fiver you can get a premium 40L Homebrew beer kit.

If you just want it as a bit of a gimmick then it’s probably a fun bit of kit, but if you decide you want to start with bigger Homebrew kits you need to buy a whole extra set of equipment.
I've fancied home brewing for years but never got round to actually doing it due to lack of space mainly. I'll give this a miss then.

Has anyone used old yeast with a brew kit ?
I've got an out of date lager on the go with new mangrove jack's Bavarian lager yeast M76 but also have a elderflower wine kit that's out of date.

I'm wondering whether to try starting fermentation with the old original yeast and if unsuccessful put a new batch in.

Would this be detrimental to the brew and should i just throw old yeast away or is it worth a try with no side effects if i add another yeast ???

Back