Homebrewing - Part 3

Thanks, may take you up on that.
Would Hartlepools awful water be okay to use or not?
Aye, water will be fine

Down the line, you can always look into improving it, but to start with, you've got what you've got really. Peterlee's water is no better and I made some decent stuff

Even with bottled water people are going to see what you’ve got in there as you’ll need to keep the garage door open during the boil and you’ll need the copper near the door to get rid of the steam.
If you use bottled water you’ll probably need to add some minerals/salts as they usually don’t have the required levels but that isn’t difficult.
I try to buy water sourced as close to Burton as possible as the salts you can buy add that level of minerals
I thought a mate was talking shite when he spoke of Burtonisation

Aye, water will be fine

Down the line, you can always look into improving it, but to start with, you've got what you've got really. Peterlee's water is no better and I made some decent stuff

Thanks. Im near Kendal now, was thinking of taking 40 pints of water home.:lol:

Just cracked open a vanilla Baltic porter after 8 weeks maturing. Don't normally do strong dark beers but I'm impressed with the results. Got to love home-brewing.

Oooh excellent, a home brew thread :)
I'm going to start up again this year having not made any for a few years.

First question. I have a elderflower wine kit and a lager that i never got round to making, they could be a couple of years out of date. :(
I'm thinking of trying them with new yeast :eek:

Anyone made home brew using out of date kits ?

Oooh excellent, a home brew thread :)
I'm going to start up again this year having not made any for a few years.

First question. I have a elderflower wine kit and a lager that i never got round to making, they could be a couple of years out of date. :(
I'm thinking of trying them with new yeast :eek:

Anyone made home brew using out of date kits ?
Yep, as you say, with new yeast they’ll be fine.

You use caps, like these:
Crown Caps Black (100's)
(other colours are available - i.e. one colour per batch, then you know what's what)

You put them on with something like this:
Youngs Bottle Capper

Or if you feel flush, like this
Counter Top Capper (Colt- Black)
I use a capper like that. Do the capping in 4-5 bottle batches as your sugar if you add at the end can make a mess or get lost. Bottle the whole Barrel then condition in 4-5s.
Crown caps I bought by the 1000.

Spot on ta. So reckon I need 46 bottles if 500mm n 2 crates if yer still offering? :p
I just listed the buggers on facebook marketplace not 10 seconds ago!

You can have all my bottles, and as many crates as you want, though. PM me for address etc.

Get 50 mate, just in case a couple break when capping.
Or cleaning.

f***ing cleaning! lol :lol:

Last edited:

Back