Homebrewing - Part 3

Re: Homebrewing - Part 2

Wilkos Pilsner and Newkie Brown were bottled last week and left in the airing cupboard (Pilsner 6 days and Newkie Brown 4) All bottles are solid (plastic ones) and quite a lot of carbonation. Sample bottles currently chilling in the fridge.......review to follow within the hour

Bet it's a bit rough around the edges! :lol:

Id been putting off the Wherry until spring when the house is warming through the day.

Does it not matter
?

as long as you can get a reasonable constant temp it shouldn't.

I'm still to make one that's drinkable!!! :-(

I've said it tons of times recently but I'm able to make all mine drinkable with a dash of cheap asda cordial and if it's not that fizzy then some lemonade is sorting that out.

Its not ideal but saves me either pouring it away or suffering the pain of drinking it raw

I've said it tons of times recently but I'm able to make all mine drinkable with a dash of cheap asda cordial and if it's not that fizzy then some lemonade is sorting that out.

Its not ideal but saves me either pouring it away or suffering the pain of drinking it raw

I can only imagine the headaches! :lol:

That's the issue. I probably can't.

How much do you think it will fluctuate?

Both pineapple and tea wine have stopped. Must say, I'm disappointed with the readings I have took. Pineapple has come out at 10.6% and the tea at 9%. Must be more generous with the sugar next time. Still going to bottle them and put them in the loft for at least 6 months.

Both pineapple and tea wine have stopped. Must say, I'm disappointed with the readings I have took. Pineapple has come out at 10.6% and the tea at 9%. Must be more generous with the sugar next time. Still going to bottle them and put them in the loft for at least 6 months.

Bottling mine this weekend

Few degrees - 3-5C a few times per day.

Try to find somewhere a touch cooler and wrap the fv in a duvet or loft insulation? Might keep it a touch steadier.

Did you hoy the recipe up? (for tea wine)

The Wilkos Pilsner is lovely. Only bottled a week and very gassy with a lovely flavour :-D
I've started batch priming with 120g of sugar instead of 100g so I wonder if that's making a difference?

Does anyone know if there's any difference between beer and wine finings?

See what the yeast works at, then go the low end.

Not necessarily. Some flavours that are obtained through the yeast require higher temps. In lagers that is a bad thing but in beers you get something called esters which are generally welcome flavours which need 18c minimum iirc. My wheatbeer required 22c for the authentic taste.

The Wilkos Pilsner is lovely. Only bottled a week and very gassy with a lovely flavour :-D
I've started batch priming with 120g of sugar instead of 100g so I wonder if that's making a difference?

Does anyone know if there's any difference between beer and wine finings?

Think it was Snockerty who said if you use beer finings in beer it ends up as flat as a witches tit.

Not necessarily. Some flavours that are obtained through the yeast require higher temps. In lagers that is a bad thing but in beers you get something called esters which are generally welcome flavours which need 18c minimum iirc. My wheatbeer required 22c for the authentic taste.

Consider myself corrected! :lol:

Think it was Snockerty who said if you use beer finings in beer it ends up as flat as a witches tit.

This is what I thought. Then you need to force carbonate.

I know. I need to know if I can use beer finings for wine??

How's your hoopy bitter? Mine looks like a lager but is getting darker by the day :eek:

Last edited:

Back