Homebrewing - Part 3

Looks like we’ve got planning so aiming to open first week of June. If you’re ever in Telford call in (you’ll not get a discount like!). Might be a good stop off for Shrewsbury next season. :mad:

Was thinking of having a bash at brewing some ale. I've never tried before and would appreciate some pointers if anyone has any?

i was just about to look for one of the homebrewing threads to look at but it's already been merged.
there's some great advice reading through these.
homebrewing can be very satisfying when you taste your first nice pint. it can also be disappointing if it's not right, i'm only a novice compared to some on here so the only advice i can offer is to make sure everything is properly clean and sterilised.

i was just about to look for one of the homebrewing threads to look at but it's already been merged.
there's some great advice reading through these.
homebrewing can be very satisfying when you taste your first nice pint. it can also be disappointing if it's not right, i'm only a novice compared to some on here so the only advice i can offer is to make sure everything is properly clean and sterilised.

Cheers mate I'll bare that in mind. Is it worth starting with a starter pack type set up?

Cheers mate I'll bare that in mind. Is it worth starting with a starter pack type set up?
I’ll say yes: do a couple of decent kits (personal favourites: Tiny Rebel’s Cwtch and St.Peter’s Ruby Red) then start reading up on all grain brews. I’m about to bottle a wheat beer kit from Amazon market place that I took a punt on... seems canny but the proof will be in the tasting!

About to complete on my first home.

It has a garage which I’m remarkably unlikely to put my car in.

Clearly I’ll be setting up a little brewing operation in there. First time I’ve ever had a proper space to do it in.

Other than a power source for the hot liquor tank and to heat up the copper, what are the main things people have found useful in their own set ups? Particularly @Wilfy.

When would you put them in? Pf?

I’ve known commercial brewers to add them at various stages. Post boil, or at various stages of fermentation. Best bet would be to experiment and see how it goes for homebrewing I’d guess?

Last edited:
About to complete on my first home.

It has a garage which I’m remarkably unlikely to put my car in.

Clearly I’ll be setting up a little brewing operation in there. First time I’ve ever had a proper space to do it in.

Other than a power source for the hot liquor tank and to heat up the copper, what are the main things people have found useful in their own set ups? Particularly @Wilfy.

I’ve known commercial brewers to add them at various stages. Post boil, or at various stages of fermentation. Best bet would be to experiment and see how it goes for homebrewing I’d guess?
A fermentation fridge with a greenhouse heater controlled by an ink bird controller is a must have.

Make sure the supply can handle the ampage from having two boilers switched on at the same time.

A water supply for chilling your wort. Unless you go down the no chill route.

A fermentation fridge with a greenhouse heater controlled by an ink bird controller is a must have.

Make sure the supply can handle the ampage from having two boilers switched on at the same time.

A water supply for chilling your wort. Unless you go down the no chill route.

Will be problematic - garage is in a separate block off my house.

Can you get a hose long enough? Even if you no chill it’s a lot of water to cart to your garage if you’re doing full length batches.

Even though it’s a nice area I’d rather not alert people to the fact I might have relatively expensive brewing kit in there more than I have to.

Could get an alarm for it I suppose.

But yeah, that might put paid to it.

Even though it’s a nice area I’d rather not alert people to the fact I might have relatively expensive brewing kit in there more than I have to.

Could get an alarm for it I suppose.

But yeah, that might put paid to it.
Could use the 5 litre bottles of water from the supermarket and keep a stock of them on in the garage. Or brew in the house/garden.

Could use the 5 litre bottles of water from the supermarket and keep a stock of them on in the garage. Or brew in the house/garden.

I just like the idea of using the garage because it’s going to be dead space otherwise. I don’t really have a lot of possessions to need to store in there as I live in my own. It’s pretty roomy in there as well.

Tbf the cheap bottled water idea is a good one. I’ll find a way to make it work.

Back