Homebrewing - Part 3

Some people make pseudo lager which doesn't involve the lagering times. I'm just thinking of doing it December/January when I can just leave it in the FV after fermentation and the temperature will be close enough to freezing in the garage. Will have to start looking for recipes to do, @Mick Dundee seems to have perfected his steam beer so may give that a go.
I can't say perfected until it's carbonated and conditioned, but I was really impressed from my initial sample. They rye and dark Munich have really made a difference.

I don't think it's what @PTR is looking for though - it's a very malty Amber beer with Northern Brewer as the only hop.

Aye, amber ales never agree with me.

I guess other people have made IPAs with lager yeast before - I seem to remember reading about it before, they just come out very "clean".

Tried 2017 batches 1 & 2 last night - even though my nose is blocked and I can't smell a thing
The black sheep ale kit looks excellent, has a nice nutty flavour.
The Dead Pony Club seems a bit flat, and didn't taste remarkable. Maybe it needs fully chilling and me being able to smell!

Almost done with the epic bottling weekend. Last batch ready to go.

Full setup for sale if anyone is interested.moving house next week and won't want this type of setup if I decide to continue.

Tried a mates recipe in a couple of demijohns its topper!
Elderflower cider
Lidls apple and elderflower cartons x5
Stew 4teabags add to liquid a teaspoon of tomato purée
Whisk and add to the apple/elderflower cartons in the demijohn.
Add half a teaspoon of yeast
Shake, pop on yer airlock and leave for 5-7 days at 20-22degrees
Once bubbles have reduced to one a minute syphon into another demijohn
Add 100g sugar, and bottle, leave for 10 days, and enjoy!
(Sterilisation of kit is the key)

Tried a mates recipe in a couple of demijohns its topper!
Elderflower cider
Lidls apple and elderflower cartons x5
Stew 4teabags add to liquid a teaspoon of tomato purée
Whisk and add to the apple/elderflower cartons in the demijohn.
Add half a teaspoon of yeast
Shake, pop on yer airlock and leave for 5-7 days at 20-22degrees
Once bubbles have reduced to one a minute syphon into another demijohn
Add 100g sugar, and bottle, leave for 10 days, and enjoy!
(Sterilisation of kit is the key)
Tomato purée? You f***ing animal.

Made some nice elder flower wine the other month and have a gallon of black currant wine ready for Xmas / new year (fresh fruit used with latter ) want to make my own moonshine though :lol:

:( My latest 4 batches are not clearing at all - very hazy.
Looks like there is sediment in the bottoms of the bottles, but the beer just isn't clear. Gutted.

Are they in the cold?
They were in the garage, but 2 weeks ago, I moved them into my porch.

I even swirled a few up and put them in the living room where its even warmer, but not joy
I tasted one, and it doesn't seem to be infected - just a bit "green".

What are you thinking it could be?

They were in the garage, but 2 weeks ago, I moved them into my porch.

I even swirled a few up and put them in the living room where its even warmer, but not joy
I tasted one, and it doesn't seem to be infected - just a bit "green".

What are you thinking it could be?
If they were stored in the cold, I was thinking it could be chill haze. If it's not clearing somewhere warmer, might just need time.

Back