Homebrewing - Part 3

Just buy standard extract, not beer kits. That's not hopped.

You can get dry or liquid malt extract. Last year I bought a massive 25kg box of dry. This year I'm going to try the tins.

Aye, don't.imagine its any harder,just means buying and throwing in some hops.during the boiling, just my recipe is contaminated by whatever hops are already in the extract
This is what I bought last year - its just malt extract powder. Add the exact amount you want to boiling water. There's more than just light ME as well, you can get various types.
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/spraymalt-light-25kg.html

This year I'm thinking of trying the liquid version. 2 cans gets you about 4% at 23 litres, iirc. Then some additionals to raise the abv and to add complexity to the beer
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/muntons-light-malt-extract-liquid-25kg.html

Oddly, its cheaper. I know its watered down, but its only about 90%. The powder was a bit of a pain to work with, truth be told.

Last edited:

Might as well just go straight to all grain.

I am tempted like

Oddly, its cheaper. I know its watered down, but its only about 90%. The powder was a bit of a pain to work with, truth be told.

I imagine for the malter it is a much easier process to sell it as liquid rather than having to dehydrate it anarl to then sell as a powder

Last edited:
I am tempted like
The thing about doing extract brewing is that the process is IDENTICAL from the boil onwards. You just skip the bit where you make the wort, as you "cheat" that bit by chucking the malt extra in you boil kettle. (by the way, technically this is the brewing bit of making beer. People think its making the alcohol, but that's not true - its the same as brewing tea - its making a liquid from ingredients)

So when you want to switch to all grain, you just need one more bit of kit and another 90 minutes to your brew day.

I highly recommend it as a first step - I'd even say to avoid kit beers altogether - why bother with them when you can make exactly what you want? You can even make exact recipes of commercial beers if you want - Brewdog, for example, shared every beer they've ever made. I'm working my way through 80 bottles of their original Punk IPA at the moment, its ace.
Once you're happy with the process - you can add the all-grain bit in.
For now, I'd concentrate on learning how to properly clean, santise and learn how the boiling, cooling, fermenting and bottling processes work. Its a lot to learn!

The thing about doing extract brewing is that the process is IDENTICAL from the boil onwards. You just skip the bit where you make the wort, as you "cheat" that bit by chucking the malt extra in you boil kettle. (by the way, technically this is the brewing bit of making beer. People think its making the alcohol, but that's not true - its the same as brewing tea - its making a liquid from ingredients)

So when you want to switch to all grain, you just need one more bit of kit and another 90 minutes to your brew day.

I highly recommend it as a first step - I'd even say to avoid kit beers altogether - why bother with them when you can make exactly what you want? You can even make exact recipes of commercial beers if you want - Brewdog, for example, shared every beer they've ever made. I'm working my way through 80 bottles of their original Punk IPA at the moment, its ace.
For now, I'd concentrate on learning how to properly clean, santise and learn how the boiling, cooling, fermenting and bottling processes work. Its a lot to learn!
Good post. Or he could buy a grainfather,

Is grainfather one of the brew pots that does everything for you (to some degree)? I've seen that sell a bulldog brand one in Houghton, £500, but ill not invest so heavily from day one like.

Thanks and yes pretty much I think ill follow this. Id assumed the kits were extract brewing rather than some dumbed down version.

It probably doesn't make sense to jump into all grain as it'll be rare enough getting a good first beer down using the simplest method let alone starting in the deep end

Last edited:

What worries me about a grainfather is losing the ability to learn how to make beer. Is it totally automated?

Thanks and yes pretty much I think ill follow this. Id assumed the kits were extract brewing rather than some dumbed down version.

It probably doesn't make sense to jump into all grain as it'll be rare enough getting a good first beer down using the simplest method let alone starting in the deep end

Kits are extract with hops already added plus a packet of yeast.
You can buy the extract, the hops (either fresh or pellets - have a read on that) and the yeast and do it yourself - its 10% more difficult than a kit, but you actually feel like you're making beer, instead of rehydrating someone else's beer.
At least, that's how I feel about it.

And I'll add some steeping grains this year I think - which is an interim step towards all-grain, which I don't really have the kit for in my no-power, no-running-water garage.

Last edited:
What worries me about a grainfather is losing the ability to learn how to make beer. Is it totally automated?

No, it's just a well designed mash tun and boiler all in one. It has a nice recirculation pump which helps get better efficiency.

Your brew day is still the same as using any all grain kit.

No, it's just a well designed mash tun and boiler all in one. It has a nice recirculation pump which helps get better efficiency.

Your brew day is still the same as using any all grain kit.

like this one they sell in houghton http://www.wine-on-line.com/store/The-Bulldog-Brewer-p76714385 :?:

edit: aye looks the same, just probably a better company [assuming from a better name and £100 more ;)

in other news, be still my beating heart
https://beerrecipes.org/Recipe/4694/left-hand-milk-stout-clone.html

Last edited:
like this one they sell in houghton http://www.wine-on-line.com/store/The-Bulldog-Brewer-p76714385 :?:

edit: aye looks the same, just probably a better company [assuming from a better name and £100 more ;)

in other news, be still my beating heart
https://beerrecipes.org/Recipe/4694/left-hand-milk-stout-clone.html
Sorry, that link didn't work.

I should set an expectation. With dry malt, there's about 4 types and that's it. Extra light, light, amber and dark. You'll not get the full complexity of malt flavours.
I think liquid malt is more varied, but you're still stuck with them being in 2L tins, and 2 tins gets you to 4%.
You will find that when converting an AG recipie to extract, you will often have to dumb it down a bit.
That's where speciality grains come in though, I guess

Sorry, that link didn't work.

I should set an expectation. With dry malt, there's about 4 types and that's it. Extra light, light, amber and dark. You'll not get the full complexity of malt flavours.
I think liquid malt is more varied, but you're still stuck with them being in 2L tins, and 2 tins gets you to 4%.
You will find that when converting an AG recipie to extract, you will often have to dumb it down a bit.
That's where speciality grains come in though, I guess

aye, don't think i'd use dry malt, will look to use liquid as just think it seems more natural and no problems with not mixing properly or affecting the mouth feel negatively.

when you say 4% are you talking abv?

and aye, i'll not be trying to follow an all grain recipe for a beer i absolutely love until i've vaguely mastered the basics.

cheers btw to everyone who has replied.

i don't know which link didn't work, basically the top is a similiar brew pot that does it all, mashing/laut/sparge/brew/cool which no doubt saves alot of space and sanitizing. would cut down alot of the work when moving to all grain from extract.

i suspect i'll stick with exract brewing for a good while then depending on how it all goes i might think about buying something like that if i move to all grain.

would need to get power in the garage first mind. would save buying a propane burner anarl and be more energy efficient [and environmentally friendly if you're that way inclinded]

the second link was a recipe for a nitro clone, a milk stout from left hand brewing which i absolutely love

Last edited:
Yeh, it was the link about the pot that I couldn't see.

I don't know a thing about AG mashing, so I can't advise if there's a benefit to having separate kit. I'm sure others on this thread can though.

Forgot to say PBW - Powdered Brewery Wash. Its a product you buy, its fairly cheap, and basically, the defacto cleaner in the same way as starsan is the typical sanitiser

4% does mean abv, yes.
Oh, read this. http://www.howtobrew.com

it's alot cheaper than what they suggest you'd be able to buy it for on their own [bulldog brew]

Expect it to retail around £395 with some variations of course. The High Street version starts at £600 and some goes as far up as to £1500! If you are a retailer, contact us for VERY competitive trade pricing.

i took that to mean a retailer could buy it for 395 then rrp of around 600

That looks amazing. I assume there's a downside though?

How does it compare to the Grainfather?

think the downside is you have to pay for it :lol::lol:

bulldog seems to me just a budget version. one site i saw said simplified but didn't state how.

seem to be a good few more extras and replacement bits for the grainfather than bulldog so perhaps it is a case of this or that breaks with the bulldog you're goosed whereas the grainfather you can fix. you'd also assume from the price that the parts will be higher quality/longer lasting.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54878

not read this yet but will do

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54878

[QUOTE="PTR, post: 25086027, member: 4447"
Oh, read this. http://www.howtobrew.com[/QUOTE]

oh and thanks yeah, was meaning to pick up this book, was listening to a podcast with an invterview with this gadgee.

thought since i was driving from durham to kent i'd pack the phone full of podcasts and listen to stuff about beer in preperation for beginning next week when i'm back. downloaded a ton of these

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

12 years' worth of podcats mind might take some catching up on :lol::lol:

Last edited:

Back