Homebrewing - Part 3

Got a very odd result with a cider kit.

Og 1.056
Fg 0.997
Abv 7.6%

There is no way a muntons autumn blush kit should come out that strong.

I checked the fg with another hydrometer, and it was 1.006, but i didn't take a og with that one to compare.

Is it possible that my main hydrometer is correct at high gravity, but fails at low values? Your think any calibration issue would cancel out as it would be constant?

Well, that's 2 batches of Punk IPA (original) knocked out.

Didn't get time to chill them, so they've both gone into the bath to cool overnight - I'll nip in on the way to work and pitch.

I hate the way the SMB merges both posts with no line-break if you were the last person to post on a thread - you don't even get a new timestamp.

I did check my hydrometer - it measured the same result at high gravity as the other one -it actually is only with low numbers that they diverge. Strange!

Update 17/10 6am

Nipped back in this morning - both FVs still feel warm, quite surprised by that. Pitched and left - hoping having 2 FVs in a bath of 100L will let it warm up but keep a fairly constant temp

Last edited:
Bad times
Just been into check on my rather aged cider with view to bottling it this afternoon - and found this:
Logon or register to see this image

Given that the spout is isolated from the contents of the FV, will it be ok if I siphon it to another bucket for bottling? Or will it have infected the lot?

@Wilfy @DoctorMick

Back