Holidaying abroad this year

Whilst watching Corrie and Easties on the big screen?
Result
Not my idea of fun while on holiday, but each to their own. Who are we to criticise how someone else likes to spend their holiday, and their cash.

Me and the missus (no) like to have breakfast on our terrace, go for a nice long walk, stop for a nice lunch somewhere, then return for a couple of hours around the pool. Every few days we'll spend the whole day on the beach. That might seem boring to some, but it's what we enjoy and it's what we like to spend our hard-earned on.

My idea of hell would be an AI holiday surrounded by screaming kids and p!ssed parents but it's what some people like to do, so who am I to knock it.

Not my idea of fun while on holiday, but each to their own. Who are we to criticise how someone else likes to spend their holiday, and their cash.

Me and the missus (no) like to have breakfast on our terrace, go for a nice long walk, stop for a nice lunch somewhere, then return for a couple of hours around the pool. Every few days we'll spend the whole day on the beach. That might seem boring to some, but it's what we enjoy and it's what we like to spend our hard-earned on.

My idea of hell would be an AI holiday surrounded by screaming kids and p!ssed parents but it's what some people like to do, so who am I to knock it.
Indeed. I was just joshing really. Like you, it sounds like my idea of hell, but each to their own

I've only done an AI once as a last minute (literally, leave tomorrow) holiday as the price was too good to refuse. Got a week in Marmaris, Tukey for around £300 all in. I had very low expectations but to be honest it wasn't that bad. The hotel was far better than I imagined for the price, the food and drink were OK and there was plenty going on outside the hotel for when you wanted to escape such as when the kids disco started every evening. I much prefer exploring new places but I can see the attraction, especially for those with kids. Keeping the little buggers fed, watered and entertained while on holiday must cost a fortune.

I've only done an AI once as a last minute (literally, leave tomorrow) holiday as the price was too good to refuse. Got a week in Marmaris, Tukey for around £300 all in. I had very low expectations but to be honest it wasn't that bad. The hotel was far better than I imagined for the price, the food and drink were OK and there was plenty going on outside the hotel for when you wanted to escape such as when the kids disco started every evening. I much prefer exploring new places but I can see the attraction, especially for those with kids. Keeping the little buggers fed, watered and entertained while on holiday must cost a fortune.
I agree with you regarding the kids.

AI in Europe wasn't really a big thing when our kids were younger and I expect we would have considered it had it been more readily available back then.

In saying that, our kids were happy to spend all day in the swimming pool (once they were old enough and competent enough swimmers to be allowed). They weren't the type to demand pop and ice-cream all day long - the oldest one did try it once but a spell in 'the cooler' sharp taught him not to push his luck again. In the main, they were just happy to be abroad in the sun.

Agreed. The one and only time we've done that was about 5 years ago. Got an unexpected windfall so thought fuck it, why not sneak in a trip away in October half term. 7 nights in Belek. Food was OK, drinks were average but the waterpark and the pools/entertainment kept the kids happy. Not my ideal holiday, but at 2k it was a reasonably cheap get away. 30-35c every day when it was pissing down back in the UK. I was happy enough with that

Agreed. The one and only time we've done that was about 5 years ago. Got an unexpected windfall so thought fuck it, why not sneak in a trip away in October half term. 7 nights in Belek. Food was OK, drinks were average but the waterpark and the pools/entertainment kept the kids happy. Not my ideal holiday, but at 2k it was a reasonably cheap get away. 30-35c every day when it was pissing down back in the UK. I was happy enough with that

Oooh hello! I was wondering where you went! Hope all is ok xx

We re-arranged a holiday from last year. Booked up for back end of this month and paid an extra £70 for the new holiday.

Holiday company have cancelled the re-arranged holiday today and the ‘total refund’ value is £70. No mention of the initial £3k for the original holiday.

Anyone else had a similar situation?
A quick update, in case anyone else is in a similar position.

An hour and a half waiting on the phone, then they say “no problem at all, because you have a ‘refund credit’ from the original holiday, it’ll have to be a special team that process it. But don’t worry, we’ll refund the total amount. Could take 14 days but that’s no problem at all”. Less than 5 mins to get sorted, once I got through to talk to someone.

Still don't think it is worth going abroad but I found myself looking at flights to Scotland last night. A few days researching whisky sounds like fun.

im sure government just want staycations for everyone, keep the economy going at herm.

Have ya seen the fcking weather it's shite holidaying at home I can't stand it personally
Tempted to take a chance on a Greek island in August. If it doesn’t turn green then get your money back.

I thought kos was lovely can drive round round the whole island in a beach buggy in a day

Last edited:
We went to Kos twice last year - superb both times.

Understandably very quiet both times, but that suited us down to the ground.
Managed to get a fortnight in August last year was awesome!

Also took the plunge and booked for Lanzarotte end of August, decent price tbh, will shoot up if its goes green, if not TUI will refund/can rebook

So you think all AI holidays are the same?? Try Maldives (when its back on the green list) and see how many screaming kids you find there. Tell me if it seems like hell

So you think all AI holidays are the same?? Try Maldives (when its back on the green list) and see how many screaming kids you find there. Tell me if it seems like hell
Maybe I didn't make it clear enough but I was referring to AI in Europe - and specifically the cheaper end of the market where the clientele are significantly different to those who will be holidaying in the Maldives.

My missus has been a travel agent for over thirty years so I know the difference between the cheaper AI popular in lots of European resorts and the parts of the world where it first became popular - the aforementioned Maldives, the Caribbean, Kenya, parts of North America and Mexico.

I agree that AI done properly - branded drinks, no time limits at the bar, top quality food 24/7 - is a world away from what a lot of the cheaper European hotels offer and they are the ones to avoid, unless that is what you are specifically after.

We went to Kos twice last year - superb both times.

Understandably very quiet both times, but that suited us down to the ground.

aye we were booked for October half term
Maybe I didn't make it clear enough but I was referring to AI in Europe - and specifically the cheaper end of the market where the clientele are significantly different to those who will be holidaying in the Maldives.

My missus has been a travel agent for over thirty years so I know the difference between the cheaper AI popular in lots of European resorts and the parts of the world where it first became popular - the aforementioned Maldives, the Caribbean, Kenya, parts of North America and Mexico.

I agree that AI done properly - branded drinks, no time limits at the bar, top quality food 24/7 - is a world away from what a lot of the cheaper European hotels offer and they are the ones to avoid, unless that is what you are specifically after.

we did one of these in Sunny Beach Bulgaria a few year back it was fooking lifting,

Back