Holidaying abroad this year

Might be a daft question, but my mate wants to go abroad on some sort of fitness holiday and somehow, has managed to convince the wife that I should go. ( I honestly had nothing to do with it)

Anyway, does anyone know of any such type holidays? We initially were going to go to Turkey but the prices are crap for flights in April. We then though Mallorca because Palma is a good airport for both of us (NCL and London)

Probs heavy training during the day, Gym, cycling, kayaking , swimming, maybe even sailing and running (for him not me) then a couple of drinks on the night. Dont care if its quiet.

Open to suggestions.

I get a newsletter from this company and they feature cycling and other fitness holidays:

I’ve had my application for May 13 to May 20 approved by the manager. So I’m definitely off to Rome in May.

It’s only 7 days. Is that common to have a week abroad?
Aye. City breaks, like Rome I’ve done 3/4 nights, but there’s more than enough to do to do 7 nights.

We rushed through a morning tour & could have spread it over a day. I’m guessing a stadium tour could be an option to, which we never did.

Aye. City breaks, like Rome I’ve done 3/4 nights, but there’s more than enough to do to do 7 nights.

We rushed through a morning tour & could have spread it over a day. I’m guessing a stadium tour could be an option to, which we never did.

My lass and I looked over a Jet2 City Break last night at Cafe Mio which is just down the road from us and it's sad I think how it's only like 4 nights. You need a lot more dates certainly with Rome. St. Peter's Basillica, Sistine Chapel, Vatican City, Trevi Fountain, Colioseum etc. So we decided to scratch that and stay for the 7 days.

My lass and I looked over a Jet2 City Break last night at Cafe Mio which is just down the road from us and it's sad I think how it's only like 4 nights. You need a lot more dates certainly with Rome. St. Peter's Basillica, Sistine Chapel, Vatican City, Trevi Fountain, Colioseum etc. So we decided to scratch that and stay for the 7 days.
You can walk most of the sites in Rome believe it or not - we did it all in 3 nights/4 days

When you go take strides with stretchy waistbands though cos the bait is superb

You can walk most of the sites in Rome believe it or not - we did it all in 3 nights/4 days

When you go take strides with stretchy waistbands though cos the bait is superb
We did what Lambchops has said, but we booked a tour guide, Green Line or something, recommend on here. Now, it’s half a waste of money, cos the sites were free anyway, but, it got us to all of a major landmarks in a timely manner, gave a bit of information about them & made it more interesting. But it was July & baking hot, so by the time we finished that we were ready to drop, but had the Colosseum booked, so had to go to that. Worked out well as we squeezed it all in. It was 10 years ago, but think the Colosseum & St Peter’s Basilica / Sistine Chapel we’re the places we paid into. We did a walk to Vatican City by ourselves

We did what Lambchops has said, but we booked a tour guide, Green Line or something, recommend on here. Now, it’s half a waste of money, cos the sites were free anyway, but, it got us to all of a major landmarks in a timely manner, gave a bit of information about them & made it more interesting. But it was July & baking hot, so by the time we finished that we were ready to drop, but had the Colosseum booked, so had to go to that. Worked out well as we squeezed it all in. It was 10 years ago, but think the Colosseum & St Peter’s Basilica / Sistine Chapel we’re the places we paid into. We did a walk to Vatican City by ourselves

Brilliant advice. Cheers.

We stayed 4 nights in Rome. It was enough to see the main things we wanted to see.

You've missed the Baths of Caracalla off your list @ShieldsBlackCat2015 They're the best Roman baths I've ever seen and worth a walk out to.

As it stands do you still need Vaccine proof to board cruise ships? If so, does anyone think it might change next year?

I know I could Google it but was on here already so thought I'd ask the question

Tenerife airport last night,
”sir do you have your covid pass pls?”
Me; “no but I’ve got proof of negative test printed in my bag”
bloke said that’s fine and waved me straight thru - waste of bloody £11 that was!
didn’t see anyones paperwork being checked at all

Cool. My lass and I like walking.
Tip: arrange for one of those queue jumping guided tours of the main sites. I think the company we used for Rome (years ago) was ‘viatour’ or ‘viator’ or something. It makes the most of your trip, helps makes sense of a lot of what you’re looking at, you don‘t spend all you time queuing and it also makes it more interesting - albeit I’ve forgotten most of what I learned straight afterward. :)

I think we arranged for guided tour of the Vatican, and the Coliseum and maybe the Forum iirc (Although the forums a lot to wander round)

Theres plenty of other stuff to see and, as others have said, you can walk most, if not all, of it. I just love the experience of wandering around a beautiful historic city, soaking it all in.

Enjoy.

Brilliant advice. Cheers.
Tip: arrange for one of those queue jumping guided tours of the main sites. I think the company we used for Rome (years ago) was ‘viatour’ or ‘viator’ or something. It makes the most of your trip, helps makes sense of a lot of what you’re looking at, you don‘t spend all you time queuing and it also makes it more interesting - albeit I’ve forgotten most of what I learned straight afterward. :)

I think we arranged for guided tour of the Vatican, and the Coliseum and maybe the Forum iirc (Although the forums a lot to wander round)

Theres plenty of other stuff to see and, as others have said, you can walk most, if not all, of it. I just love the experience of wandering around a beautiful historic city, soaking it all in.

Enjoy.
Think we used these

Viator (Things to Do, Tickets, Tours & Attractions | 2022 | Viator) : they are owned by Tripadvisor and are just the middleman for local operators. Sometimes it can be cheaper to book directly with the actual tour company but going through Viator does give some more protections. I had a tour cancelled and the operator wasn't responding to emails but I got an immediate refund after contacting Viator.

I've also had some good tours and activities through AirBnB Experiences which tend to be run more by independent locals than the big tour companies, though just as with AirBnB lodgings you have to be careful as there are some scamsters around.

Back