Holiday Souvenirs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keawyeds

Striker
Afternoon all,

Mrs K and I have been away to Rhodes for a week. Canny place but the airport is a farce and the state of some Brits when they're on holiday is horrific to behold. Predominantly Scousers. Urgh.

When we were away we saw all kinds of local tat and genuinely nice stuff for sale to take home.
I myself have returned with a Mythos Beer t-shirt. As y'do. I drank enough of it I should have got it free but there you are.

However, as well as the magnets, olive skewers, bottles of olive oil and so on was this.

Logon or register to see this image

A rack of massive wooden cock bottle openers.
It doesn't exactly shout "I've been to Rhodes" does it.

What's the weirdest touristy crap you've seen/bought while you've been away?

Afternoon all,

Mrs K and I have been away to Rhodes for a week. Canny place but the airport is a farce and the state of some Brits when they're on holiday is horrific to behold. Predominantly Scousers. Urgh.

When we were away we saw all kinds of local tat and genuinely nice stuff for sale to take home.
I myself have returned with a Mythos Beer t-shirt. As y'do. I drank enough of it I should have got it free but there you are.

However, as well as the magnets, olive skewers, bottles of olive oil and so on was this.

You not been abroad for 3 decades or summit? Every tacky souvenir shops had them in for ever

Afternoon all,

They sell those all over Europe.

Afternoon all,

Did they sell nuddy playing playing cards and those pens people brought back from Spain in the 80's that when you turned them upside down revealed a naked lady..

Not exactly weird stuff but years ago I was visiting some people I was doing some work with in Kenya and added on a safari before I went to work with them. They did all the organising for me (I had to pay) and I naively assumed that I'd end up booked on to some sort of group tour. I got to the airport and it quickly became apparent that it was me and the driver and that was it. It quickly became apparent that the road from Nairobi to Masai Mara, through the rift valley, as well as being a beautiful drive, is dotted with souvenir places and the drivers stop at every one (presumably on some sort of commission type deal) and there's an unwritten rule that someone on each bus buys something at each stall. I ended up buying way too many souvenirs and, having fobbed some sales people off with "if I come back, I may buy something" thinking we wouldn't stop at the same places going back to Nairobi, found that we did. Got some lovely stuff though - a wooden club in the shape of a cow, a Masai blanket, some wooden bowls, a frog made out of straw wtc.

Did they sell nuddy playing playing cards and those pens people brought back from Spain in the 80's that when you turned them upside down revealed a naked lady..

I think I saw some "Ancient Greek Sex Playing Cards".

You not been abroad for 3 decades or summit? Every tacky souvenir shops had them in for ever

You've got a right collection then!

They sell those all over Europe.

A connoisseur in our midst!

Not exactly weird stuff but years ago I was visiting some people I was doing some work with in Kenya and added on a safari before I went to work with them. They did all the organising for me (I had to pay) and I naively assumed that I'd end up booked on to some sort of group tour. I got to the airport and it quickly became apparent that it was me and the driver and that was it. It quickly became apparent that the road from Nairobi to Masai Mara, through the rift valley, as well as being a beautiful drive, is dotted with souvenir places and the drivers stop at every one (presumably on some sort of commission type deal) and there's an unwritten rule that someone on each bus buys something at each stall. I ended up buying way too many souvenirs and, having fobbed some sales people off with "if I come back, I may buy something" thinking we wouldn't stop at the same places going back to Nairobi, found that we did. Got some lovely stuff though - a wooden club in the shape of a cow, a Masai blanket, some wooden bowls, a frog made out of straw wtc.

I brought back some artwork from Tanzania when I climbed Kili. I could have bought some carved stuff but wasn't sure about the weight! And I didn't have that much cash on me

Had that in Cuba on the trips - I'm sure we made some ridiculous detours just to stop at the same souvenier place each time. Really annoying tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back