Holiday in Vietnam

Hanoi is manic but worth the experience - arrived at night so hated it at first but it's a hell of a place

Go up to the hills in Sapa and trot around the paddy fields, can get an overnight train from Hanoi. Also from Hanoi you can't miss out on Halong Bay - can organise day trips I think but would recommend an overnighter

Go to Hue - scene of a massive battle during the war, fascinating city - and then do a bike tour from there to Hoi An. The road is incredible. Hoi An is great, very chilled, can buy cheap (but good quality) suits and there's a cool river display thing they do often

If you fancy a beach bit do Mui Ne, think Nha Trang is more touristy (or was when wewent) but it's a bit shit and Mui Ne way better. 30p bottles of beer and massive sand dunes you can go bombing about on a quad bike on

HCMC is great but very westernised compared to rest of the country. Didn't really do much in Danang other than pass through but got the same vibe

It's a fascinating country and I'd recommend doing as much of it as you can - but you'll have a great time in any of the above tbh
I'd do mostly this, get into Hanoi, and treat it as a base for the first part of your hols, get out to Sapa, Ha Long Bay and Ninh Binh (Inland HL bay), obviously do the old quarter, and the other stuff in Hanoi, even get over to west lake for a stroll.

Then I'd be down to Da Nang, and hop over to Hoi An, maybe base there for the beach and quaint town nightlife, but get a day trip or over nighter to Hue, there is Ba Na Hills with the new bridge in hands thing. If i was in backpacker mode, I would have bused it down and stopped in Dong Hoi for the git fooking massive cave on the way Da Nang, but if flying, a bit of a trek back up that way.

Next would Nha Trang or Phan Tiet (Mui Ne), not been in a while, but we had to go by car to Mui Ne from HCMC, which is half a day wasted. Mui Ne is the less touristy place (Shit I was there when it was just a few bars in shacks).

Then HCMC city itself, i called it a mini BKK back in the day, I haven't been in years, but mates say it's lost its charm, just a big developing city, still good to go to say you've been, but I'd use as a base again. Get down to Vung Tau maybe for a night, also maybe go down Can Tho in the Mekong Delta, then perhaps Phu Quoc, i was there in 2006 last and it was a dump, but I'm told its come on leaps and bounds now.

Best way to enjoy Nam is just chill, don't get wound up of things you take for granted in the west, like time keeping and customer is always right etc etc, the Vietnamese have their own way of doing things, you aint going to change that.

Edit: Not sure if you have time, Dalat, nice inland town in the hills, quite relaxed place, a pleasant sort of surprise in Vietnam.

Last edited:

Nowt wrong with Vietnam

Saying you are travelling so far you could possibly fit Vientiane in Laos and Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai in Morthern Thailand and cross the Golden Circle off your bucket list.

Probably be able to link up with Silk Air or Air Asia.

I'd do mostly this, get into Hanoi, and treat it as a base for the first part of your hols, get out to Sapa, Ha Long Bay and Ninh Binh (Inland HL bay), obviously do the old quarter, and the other stuff in Hanoi, even get over to west lake for a stroll.

Then I'd be down to Da Nang, and hop over to Hoi An, maybe base there for the beach and quaint town nightlife, but get a day trip or over nighter to Hue, there is Ba Na Hills with the new bridge in hands thing. If i was in backpacker mode, I would have bused it down and stopped in Dong Hoi for the git fooking massive cave on the way Da Nang, but if flying, a bit of a trek back up that way.

Next would Nha Trang or Phan Tiet (Mui Ne), not been in a while, but we had to go by car to Mui Ne from HCMC, which is half a day wasted. Mui Ne is the less touristy place (Shit I was there when it was just a few bars in shacks).

Then HCMC city itself, i called it a mini BKK back in the day, I haven't been in years, but mates say it's lost its charm, just a big developing city, still good to go to say you've been, but I'd use as a base again. Get down to Vung Tau maybe for a night, also maybe go down Can Tho in the Mekong Delta, then perhaps Phu Quoc, i was there in 2006 last and it was a dump, but I'm told its come on leaps and bounds now.

Best way to enjoy Nam is just chill, don't get wound up of things you take for granted in the west, like time keeping and customer is always right etc etc, the Vietnamese have their own way of doing things, you aint going to change that.

Edit: Not sure if you have time, Dalat, nice inland town in the hills, quite relaxed place, a pleasant sort of surprise in Vietnam.

The one time I have been to Vietnam I did Hanoi, Sapa and Halong Bay - it was and excellent trip possibly the best holiday I have had. I liked wandering round Hanoi for a few hours, very interesting place.

Was in phu quoc 2 years ago. Its canny for a beach holiday if you're getting moped overload from HMC & hanoi. I was up in hoi an and the weather turned shit and looked set in so I got a quick viet jet down there from da nang. Cheap as chips to fly.

Looked at Cambodia but a bit too exotic.

Many been - Hanoi area is where we are looking. Worth it or better off elsewhere in Asia.

Yeah its class, I prefer HMC but think most seem to like Hanoi, can go to Halong Bay from there too

I agree don't bother going to Danang, loads of better places to go

Sapa everyone loves but I got bit sick of it

You can't go wrong in Vietnam, no matter what your situation, single, kids, or with your lass, options for everyone

Going back soon I think for a total blow out!

Japan can be so cheap. Travel, aye, a bit pricey, but you can find cheap places to eat, loads to do, and airbnb (if it is still available there) provides some very reasonable accommodation.

Yeah certainly when I have back packed it a bit I found it fairly cheap with the option to go luxury there if you want it

really wanna get travelling again now like

Last edited:
Was in phu quoc 2 years ago. Its canny for a beach holiday if you're getting moped overload from HMC & hanoi. I was up in hoi an and the weather turned shit and looked set in so I got a quick viet jet down there from da nang. Cheap as chips to fly.

I remember when I was in Hoi An for Tet with the family once (Been many times), the weather set in, for 6 days and nights it rained, one of my most miserable breaks I've ever had in Vietnam.

My Phu Quoc story is that I lost about 2 to 3 hours of my life. Started an all day bender while on a works trip, remember the boat trip, the island swimming, the getting back and staying in the bar while everyone else had a rest and change. Next thing I know, I was in a bar I'd never seen before watching the premier league football and the owner keeping me there till someone turned up, being the hotel owner, as I'd been reported missing. Next day, I'm being showed photos of the works do and and karaoke I'd been at, I have no recollection of doing either.

Went a month ago loved it, HCM is a bit more westernised, its developing pretty quick, but I still enjoyed it. Loved Hanoi, wandering round the old quarter is class, went up to Sapa for a couple of days beautiful, down to Halong Bay, did a night on a boat which was fantastic, we had been tempted to do two nights but people on our boat who had done two all seemed to wish they had just done one.

Absolutely loved the place, great food, people really friendly, loads to see and do, different scenery and atmospheres, would definitely recommend.

Not a fan of top gear but their special on vietnam is quite interesting [netflix ep12] .
I flew to hanoi and went to halong bay ,hue, hoi an, saigon and mekon delta.
fantastic country and the people are not yet sick of tourists.
I had some fantastic food but some people on our group did not like seafood or noodles:confused:
I am pushing 60 and the most enjoyable holiday thus far.

Looked at Cambodia but a bit too exotic.

Many been - Hanoi area is where we are looking. Worth it or better off elsewhere in Asia.

I always pop up with this on these threads but have you looked at Taiwan (coincidentally there now) the East Coast is fantastic and the central mountains are great plus there are a bunch of bigger cities around. There is something of a language issue perhaps more so than Vietnam as it is less touristy but Taiwan is IMO one of the best places in Asia and really doesn't have much of a Western Tourism presence

Worse weather than Manchester though (when I was there).

I always pop up with this on these threads but have you looked at Taiwan (coincidentally there now) the East Coast is fantastic and the central mountains are great plus there are a bunch of bigger cities around. There is something of a language issue perhaps more so than Vietnam as it is less touristy but Taiwan is IMO one of the best places in Asia and really doesn't have much of a Western Tourism presence
Far more expensive though. I went from about 40p a pint in HCMC to £4+ a pint in Taipei. I spent a couple of weeks in Taiwan (most Taipei) and expected nothing but really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Cracking post- do you buy internal flights there or do it here?

Comprehensive- anyone done Laos?
Buy flights when you get there. Cheap as owt.

Skip Da Nang, 2 nights Hoi An enough.

Tunnels of Cu Chi well worth a trip but just book a private minibus don't get swept up with a coach full.

If you do Phnom Penh killing fields and S-21 both harrowing but you need to see it. I think it's a great city as still not very developed.
We wanted to get to a travel agent to book flights from PP to HCM and driver misunderstood what we wanted, took us to Cambodia Angkor Air headquarters and told guard we needed to see head of operations. Introduced to one of the top bods at the airline who thought it was hilarious and got us a discount on a flight.

Worse weather than Manchester though (when I was there).

Far more expensive though. I went from about 40p a pint in HCMC to £4+ a pint in Taipei. I spent a couple of weeks in Taiwan (most Taipei) and expected nothing but really enjoyed it.

There is that, you can get a lot cheaper than 4 quid a pint but not 40p for sure. If you are there again then Hualien, Taroko, Taitung, Ilan, Kenting and Tainan are all worth a visit.

There is that, you can get a lot cheaper than 4 quid a pint but not 40p for sure. If you are there again then Hualien, Taroko, Taitung, Ilan, Kenting and Tainan are all worth a visit.
Went. And then went to some big lake. Visited another town too. Fancied renting a bike to go to the gorge but the weather wasn't up to it by then.

Went. And then went to some big lake. Visited another town too. Fancied renting a bike to go to the gorge but the weather wasn't up to it by then.

Probably Sun Moon Lake (smack bank in the middle of Taiwan) you can get there from Hualien on the Cross Island Highway though Taroko Gorge which is a nice route. If you head down the East Coast further from Hualien it is really undeveloped and stunning but you have to drive yourself really. Alishan and Yushan are beautiful too on the other side of the country.

Not a fan of top gear but their special on vietnam is quite interesting [netflix ep12] .
I flew to hanoi and went to halong bay ,hue, hoi an, saigon and mekon delta.
fantastic country and the people are not yet sick of tourists.
I had some fantastic food but some people on our group did not like seafood or noodles:confused:
I am pushing 60 and the most enjoyable holiday thus far.

Ffs- meant to say good post- hanoi clearly getting most votes- is the food oily?mrs lfd has crohns- one bad meal and we’re fucked- think vietnamese is steamed more than thai and chinese?

Last edited:
Ffs- meant to say good post- hanoi clearly getting most votes- is the food oily?mrs lfd has crohns- one bad meal and we’re fucked- think vietnamese is steamed more than thai and chinese?
A lot of soupy type dishes (pho, bun cha etc...) with fish sauce, soy sauce and oils so it depends on what your missus issues are/triggered (I don't know enough about Crohns). Your missus could stick to Banh Mis though. They're delicious.

Western foods are also available.

Back