Holiday cancellation refunds etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
I messaged tui on there Facebook messenger chat, they seem to reply every 6 days but if you put in all your info and leave no questions in the first message then it may be easier, we just rebooked ours but charged us ammendment fee, but after 3 messages it's now sorted with the ammendment fee refunded and the 20 percent taken off the new booking.
Thanks for that but I'm not on Facebook. I've also looked on the site and went back over a month on most, Trip Advisor seems to be the one with the most balanced view.s. However, I have no doubt , like most other companies did before this virus, love the money coming in but do not want to communicate or engage directly with their customers or clients. Just out of interest, I retired from the Aviation sectors some years ago.. Based on my experiences, there is no way I will be boarding an aircraft to go anywhere until there is some sort of cure for the virus. likewise, the restrictions that will be in force at most holiday destinations for the foreseeable future would not easy any of my concerns.. I and some other colleagues were discussing this the other day and the consensus was the same, diont travel...
Received our TUI voucher, yesterday was our 1st day of trying to get through to get a refund. All the numbers we tried just cut us off. We were tempted to book a week instead of two for next year. However reading all the stories of how they have acted we are just going to try and get a refund.
Yep, same here and thousands more on various review websites. I maybe more sceptical that some posters but I've had two experiences in the last three months since this virus hit , one with TUI , the other with Holland And Barrett. H&B took an order from me at the end of February, as they did with thousands of other customers, They took the money and failed to supply, deliberately or otherwise which I'm sure there are thousands of other companies who did the same and blamed the virus. took three months to get the money back from my CC.

Last edited:

Where were you going? I've got NY booked for the end of June, applied for a voucher 3 weeks ago but heard nothing.
Philadelphia mate with a couple of nights in New York. The cancellation email offered us a voucher valid for 2 years but we needed the money back. Try giving them a call again, phone lines seem to have died right down since the peak, I was only on hold for 10 minutes.

So the campsite in Holland (Dunriell) have cancelled my stay and offered a voucher and said under no circumstances will they offer a refund. Really don't fancy comiting to anything for next year, checked my insurance policy and it states that as I've been offered a voucher they won't pay out. Is there anything else I can try? Not sure if the credit card is an option. My Mrs paid the deposit on her credit card but I paid the balance using my debit card.

Philadelphia mate with a couple of nights in New York. The cancellation email offered us a voucher valid for 2 years but we needed the money back. Try giving them a call again, phone lines seem to have died right down since the peak, I was only on hold for 10 minutes.
Cheers. I'm happy with a voucher so we can book it for later, suppose I'll have to chase it up.

So the campsite in Holland (Dunriell) have cancelled my stay and offered a voucher and said under no circumstances will they offer a refund. Really don't fancy comiting to anything for next year, checked my insurance policy and it states that as I've been offered a voucher they won't pay out. Is there anything else I can try? Not sure if the credit card is an option. My Mrs paid the deposit on her credit card but I paid the balance using my debit card.
Think because you paid the initial deposit by CC you may well be covered if you have the same bank...Read that somewhere but dont ask where.

Think because you paid the initial deposit by CC you may well be covered if you have the same bank...Read that somewhere but dont ask where.
It's not. Capital one credit card. Nationwide debit card. Sigh its a bit shit the insurance companies refusing to pay out just because I've been offered a voucher that's no good to me.

It's not. Capital one credit card. Nationwide debit card. Sigh its a bit shit the insurance companies refusing to pay out just because I've been offered a voucher that's no good to me.
You'll get the CC stuff back under a section 75 and because they have cancelled, try DD reclaim, get the money then close your account..

I had a holiday booked with TUI for 31st July, the balance was due on 8th of May but I never paid it. Today I got an email saying I could amend the booking for free, so I changed it for the same holiday for next year. The holiday next year is about £700 more expensive, but I thought it was a no brainier as I'd lose the deposit anyway. I now don't need to pay the balance until 7th May 2021.

I've got a fairly significant amount of money due back off Swiss for some business class flights that they are currently refusing to refund until a time unspecified. Bastards are basically using me as an interest free loan. Charge back it is I suppose

I just moved my flights with TUI from July this year to July next year, I had to ring them to do it and it took about 40 mins to get through but it's done now so it's no longer on my mind.

I've got a fairly significant amount of money due back off Swiss for some business class flights that they are currently refusing to refund until a time unspecified. Bastards are basically using me as an interest free loan. Charge back it is I suppose
Same here with Qatar. Business class flights for 3 of us from Australia. We were offered a 1 year credit but were waiting till we were certain it was off. It was a trip to UK, Greece and Cyprus.

Our travel agent then told us they'd applied for a refund (without us asking them). Got word today, Qatar have approved the refund less $1400 unrecoverable costs. We've asked for a breakdown on this as I'd love to know what they are and more to the point who's they are ?

I have my suspicions about the travel agent at this point.

Problem for us is it was a family friend who worked there so we booked it through her. Just as the whole Covid thing hit her husband died suddenly of a heart attack then the travel agents was closed down, all within a week so we haven't got that point of contact or the stomach to bother her with it.

Ryanair are emailing me with cheap flight offers from 1st July now. They’re having a laugh. They want more money from me despite failing to process a refund they promised me nearly 3 months ago.

This may have been covered earlier but I've just discovered that there is a very big difference between a Refund Credit Note (RCN) which is financially protected until the expiry date and holiday vouchers which aren't protected. I've been offered a RCN plus a gift voucher by James Villas and I'm happy to retain them until I am confident to re-book but I wouldn't have entertained a holiday voucher.

More info Coronavirus advice for customers

This may have been covered earlier but I've just discovered that there is a very big difference between a Refund Credit Note (RCN) which is financially protected until the expiry date and holiday vouchers which aren't protected. I've been offered a RCN plus a gift voucher by James Villas and I'm happy to retain them until I am confident to re-book but I wouldn't have entertained a holiday voucher.

More info Coronavirus advice for customers
That was one of the first things other traveller noted too a few weeks ago when they started trying it on and before the euro1.9 billion bail out from the German Government... Its also why ATOL are stalling (you cant claim for the cancellation because the operator has not yet went bust) because the Credit Refund Code is no good after the 31st October , I think it was, though that date may have moved on a bit.. Also if you have accepted a CRC there is no guarantee that ATOL or ABTA would honour it When TUi go bust... TUi are supposed to have fixed the system so that you can telephone for a refund but Still, the lines are constantly engaged or cutting caller off..

As long as you paid some of it with CC you can claim the whole lot back. Even if you just paid 1p with the CC!

Am still waiting to hear what I’m getting for my cancelled Oslo flights that I was supposed to be taking 1st weekend in May.
They were booked through Expedia.
I can’t find any numbers for to call them

I had a holiday booked with TUI for 31st July, the balance was due on 8th of May but I never paid it. Today I got an email saying I could amend the booking for free, so I changed it for the same holiday for next year. The holiday next year is about £700 more expensive, but I thought it was a no brainier as I'd lose the deposit anyway. I now don't need to pay the balance until 7th May 2021.
I've moved mine from a one week in june 2020 to two week sep 2021 seemed better value but have had to pay again for extra room seats, hoping to get the original back and that will do for a taxi transfer

I'm meant to be going to Seoul on the 27th of July and then Tokyo on the 31st till the 6th of August

BA have offered a voucher for the first leg but I've heard nothing else.

Can i claim on travel insurance that I dont want to go?

Back