Holiday cancellation refunds etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
I think thats a bad move as flights next year could be hugely expensive. You are highly unlikely to get back what you paid.

I have two trips booked one in April and one in May and will try and get the cash back via either Holiday insurance or credit card company as the three airlines involved are only offering vouchers. I have no accommodation booked for one trip and the other is fuly cancelable until early next week.

We are waiting till May 11th the day of our flight, and if we have no voucher by then we are gonna push for a full refund.

Supposed to be going to Iceland next week but it was cancelled.

Jet2 refunded flights with no hassle.
Greyline refunded transfers and trips immediately.
Hotel is a small independant one and said no refunds but offered credit for the room if I change to another date. Not willing to buy more flights until things settle down so I declined and will try and claim off travel insurance. It was 230 euros but I think I have to pay £50 excess.

Supposed to be going backpacking round Norway in July but keeping that as booked for now. The accommodation is all pay on arrival and can be cancelled penalty free with a couple of days notice. Flights are with KLM going out and Logan Air coming back. Both non-refundable but hopefully they would refund if they get cancelled. Booking non-refundable train tickets when they are released but they don't cost much so happy to take the loss on those. Need to book a ferry for one part but I can do that last minute if we do go as it's a flat fare.

Last edited by a moderator:
H10 - returned all monies
Jet2 - returning money on Tuesday if not sooner
Hopper - nope but only £20 so not bothered
Holiday extras for car park refunded via voucher for 1 trip, used 3 hours of 6 days as flight was cancelled while we were in airport, waiting to hear

Not too bad tbh

We have a holiday scheduled in August to a H10 in Spain. Not sure whether we‘ll get away with all of this, as can’t see borders being opened anytime soon.

Out of interest did you book yours direct with H10 and Jet2 or through love holidays / jet2 holidays or similar?

The dragon was due to go to Portugal with J2 the other week , it became clear that she wouldn’t be going so rang to change date to later in the year , no bother that’ll be £150 each to change the date so they didn’t bother and just left it ,three hours later they get an email saying everything is cancelled and you’ll get a refund eventually .

Refund came through within ten days , they must have known it was coming why insist on a change fee when they could have kept the money.

Booked a Cruise with Fred Olsen. Got an e mail about 10 days ago saying full refund to follow.

No timescale, still waiting

We were going to Munich on 21st April On the new Lufthansa flight from Newcastle. Their flights are cancelled up till the day before so I’m just waiting to see when that gets extended and get a refund .
The hotel emailed me yesterday to tell me they had cancelled my booking and were refunding me in full so full marks to Novotel / Acor hotels for response .

Jet 2 are only accepting cancellations up to the end of this month and will ‘review’ the situation at the beginning of may. My holiday is due to be paid off mid may and I’m hoping it’s just cancelled. I’d like to claim the money back obviously but it’s only an initial deposit that I can begrudgingly stand to lose if it comes to that

Really hope those companies, like Opodo, who are taking the piss like this go bust as a result of the crisis.

Offering vouchers is a total rip off as there is little chance you can re-book at anything like the current cost.

We have a cruise booked with P&O for July. Only paid deposit thus far with balance of about 6k due at the end of this month. They have said they expect us to pay as that is what we have committed to. If we cancel we lose the deposit. If however we pay in full then cancel later we get all back in vouchers. We shall be withholding the remainder.

The government should be stepping in and making these crooks refund everyone, in cash not worthless vouchers. Why would anyone want to offer repeat business to companies who treat their customers in this way?

I’d understand why some people would be happy to take the vouchers but they should be offering the choice. The guy with opodo was was asking if I had lost my job and because I can afford to pay 2k for flights I should be grateful as theres a lot of people out there in worse positions.

I reckon quite a few airlines will go bust depending on how long it lasts for so vouchers may become redundant anyway. Trying to get money back now while I can

For once I'm glad we hadn't got round to booking anything yet. Sounds like a shit show
Think we'll re-visit later this year and book a couple of trips for 2021

Airbnb refunded really quickly, excellent.

Ryan air are working through bookings in chronological order I believe. Their site didn't seem that reliable though, they have emailed me about asking me what I want to do after already claimed refund. They did say it would take 20 days or more so I wouldn't be concerned it hasn't landed in your bank yet.

Theme park tickets from attractiontix they are insisting they deduct a 20% fee from any refund, I am going to ring credit card in the week see what I can get from them

To be fair I got all my "non-refundable" train tickets fully refunded by LNER when it became apparent I wouldn't be working in Edinburgh any time soon. I only had one week of hotels booked when it all kicked off and they kindly gave me a "booking credit" for when I eventually get back to the office.

To be fair I got all my "non-refundable" train tickets fully refunded by LNER when it became apparent I wouldn't be working in Edinburgh any time soon. I only had one week of hotels booked when it all kicked off and they kindly gave me a "booking credit" for when I eventually get back to the office.

hope you remember that and give the hotel a wide berth in the future.

Due to fly to USA in May, claimed a voucher which is valid for 12 months as we are still planning on going next year, but voucher is still being processed, been waiting about 4 weeks. Its with BA.
Does the voucher mean you have to fly within 12months or you have to book within 12 months to fly in, eg, 15 months ?

Due to fly early may with tui. Offered us a free amendment so we can rebook for next year as technically our holiday is still in place for may due to the FCO advisory only being in place till 15th april, even though we know it wont go ahead. We tried to rebook the identical holiday but for next year and its an extra £1100 for the holiday as the ‘free amendment’ only applies to the admin fee.

We are well aware of the perilous financial situation that the travel industry faces at present and so we were prepared to simply rebook the same holiday but move it to next year so it amazes me how they are crying poverty and encouraging people to rebook or take vouchers instead of refunds, then trying to rip you off if you dont.

We are now sitting tight and will claim a refund.

Similar. Due to go to Egypt for a week with TUI 7th May. I've got to shield until mid June.

I haven't contacted them but website says free rebook or refund after 16th April. We've paid in full and have another holiday, a week in Kos booked for September. We've only paid £100 off Kos.

Toying with the idea of cancelling Egypt and paying it off Kos, a very similar amount. Not sure of the crack with visa / insurance? I'd paid about £70 for both.

Unfortunately both holidays have issues online. Egypt doesn't come up as a booking on my account. It does when I put details in but I can't amend the booking. We had to book Kos over the phone as both on my phone and on the laptop it kept removing a £200 discount when we reached check out. I can't amend that holiday online either.

Looking at a long wait on the phone at some stage...

We were due to go to Dubai and Cape Town tomorrow.

Hotels: all booked via booking.com who changed them all to free cancellation. One of them had already taken the money so just waiting to get them back.

emirates via opodo: made me realise that should never book via third party agent again. Every call is at least an hour wait time then they hang up quite often. Initially offered a voucher but we could do with the money as it was 2k. Then said that they can do cash refund but won’t get it I’ll next April:eek: finally said they can have a look at processing it quicker which is within 90. Not holding much hope

booked a few sights including burj Khalifa who are all refunding

Got Jordan and Cyprus in June which is with three separate airlines so be right pain in arse if can’t go
Opodo are absolutely horrendous. They are still emailing me now trying to scam me in to them processing a voucher for me. Claiming airlines won't offer cash refunds anymore (not true).

This is for a flight which was a Thomas Cook airlines flight

And they washed their hands of that, refused to refund. I used the chargeback scheme through my bank and have all the money back now.

From my own experiences and reading reviews, never again no matter how cheap they are.

Thankfully didn't have anything booked apart from a trip to London next week where LNER and the non refundable hotel have been great. Have booked 2 week's holiday at work in September... Going to be a hell of a struggle to get holidays in later, everyone cancelling but unsure when to rebook.

Had a hotel booked for a few days in Blackpool with the kids over Easter. It was through Hotels.com but the hotel emailed me direct to remind me to cancel. No bother with that one.

We also had a hotel and flights booked to go to Northern Ireland for a wedding. Our lass booked that one but with easyJet grounding their fleet it'll have made it easier to get a refund there.

Not long paid up on a trip to Lanzarote for another wedding at the end of May as well. Wedding was officially called off a few days ago but we knew it was coming. Going to have to wait to see what Jet2 say about it but I'm glad to read on here others have been able to get refunds.

Thankfully didn't have anything booked apart from a trip to London next week where LNER and the non refundable hotel have been great. Have booked 2 week's holiday at work in September... Going to be a hell of a struggle to get holidays in later, everyone cancelling but unsure when to rebook.
I think holidays are going to be extortionate next year. Loads of people with vouchers or refunds in their bank and desperate for a holiday. Companies equally desperate to reclaim some of their losses.

Think it will be caravan touring for me next year and look abroad in 2022. Got Glastonbury in 2021 too now.

Opodo are absolutely horrendous. They are still emailing me now trying to scam me in to them processing a voucher for me. Claiming airlines won't offer cash refunds anymore (not true).

This is for a flight which was a Thomas Cook airlines flight

And they washed their hands of that, refused to refund. I used the chargeback scheme through my bank and have all the money back now.

From my own experiences and reading reviews, never again no matter how cheap they are.

Chargeback might be the quickest route to a refund if travel companies mess you about.

Chargeback might be the quickest route to a refund if travel companies mess you about.
From memory you have to show evidence the company are not cooperating and you have tried to get refund from them. It's not as easy as section 75 I don't think, and varies by bank. Certainly wasn't quick for me, took several months. But then I read some banks doing it in 24 hours.

Back