Holiday cancellation refunds etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date

H10 - returned all monies
Jet2 - returning money on Tuesday if not sooner
Hopper - nope but only £20 so not bothered
Holiday extras for car park refunded via voucher for 1 trip, used 3 hours of 6 days as flight was cancelled while we were in airport, waiting to hear

Not too bad tbh

Jet2 turned round to my in laws and said if they weren’t wanting to pay the remainder of their holiday for June this week then they were cancelling and weren’t entitled to money back etc. Only the deposits paid to that point but still not what I expected.

Jet2 turned round to my in laws and said if they weren’t wanting to pay the remainder of their holiday for June this week then they were cancelling and weren’t entitled to money back etc. Only the deposits paid to that point but still not what I expected.
Think that's fair enough to be honest, weve paid balance for june with tui otherwise we would lose it , quite understand why they doing this , with package scheme guaranteed my money back timed it so on credit card and wont have to pay it til May , then we will see what's the what

Holiday in July with Jet2. Lost deposit but they returned the extra I paid within two days. Can’t complain at all

First Jet 2 holiday balance due next week. Tried ringing to see if I could transfer the deposit to summat next year but gave up. Its only £120 so may just write it off as don't want to risk paying the balance and not get it back. Jet 2 may not be around, could atol cope with all the claims?

First Jet 2 holiday balance due next week. Tried ringing to see if I could transfer the deposit to summat next year but gave up. Its only £120 so may just write it off as don't want to risk paying the balance and not get it back. Jet 2 may not be around, could atol cope with all the claims?
Jet 2 are probs 1 of the best holiday companies around at the minute £££££ wise. They will be around after this no problem

We were due to go to Dubai and Cape Town tomorrow.

Hotels: all booked via booking.com who changed them all to free cancellation. One of them had already taken the money so just waiting to get them back.

emirates via opodo: made me realise that should never book via third party agent again. Every call is at least an hour wait time then they hang up quite often. Initially offered a voucher but we could do with the money as it was 2k. Then said that they can do cash refund but won’t get it I’ll next April:eek: finally said they can have a look at processing it quicker which is within 90. Not holding much hope

booked a few sights including burj Khalifa who are all refunding

Got Jordan and Cyprus in June which is with three separate airlines so be right pain in arse if can’t go
Emirates are f***ing arsewipes mate. Refusing my sister a 1200 refund from a trip to Dubai. Quite entitled to one, but they digging heels in, just offering vouchers

Emirates are f***ing arsewipes mate. Refusing my sister a 1200 refund from a trip to Dubai. Quite entitled to one, but they digging heels in, just offering vouchers
No way id accept vouchers at this stage as they are not protected by laws. In the meantime if they went bust the vouchers are worthless.

No way id accept vouchers at this stage as they are not protected by laws. In the meantime if they went bust the vouchers are worthless.
She hasnt. She wants the money back, they are refusing.
New rules coming in imminently.no money back on package holidays, to protect the industry. Fears they will all go to the wall. Voucher system only, can use for up to 2 year. Only then, you can claim a refund. Reported in the Idependent.

Last edited:
Its a crazy situation.

Ive been following this since the shit hit the fan a few weeks ago as we have a fully paid for holiday due early may with tui. My guess is these companies, who are stalling on refunds, are waiting for the outcome of discussions between ABTA and the government to see if the regulations on refunds will be changed. From what i can understand (im no expert), ABTA are wanting the government to ammend regulations so that refunds are not compulsary but instead for these vouchers to be protected and guaranteed by the government in the same way that ATOL protect consumers in the case of a company going bust. The reason ATOL wont is because they are skint after paying out on the Thomas Cook collapse.

New rules coming in imminently.no money back on package holidays, to protect the industry. Fears they will all go to the wall. Voucher system only, can use for up to 2 year. Only then, you can claim a refund. Reported in the Idependent.
Do you know when this is gonna be public. Im presently checking everyday to see if anything happens. Also waiting for the FCO to extend this travel ban beyond 16th april.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a crazy situation.

Ive been following this since the shit hit the fan a few weeks ago as we have a fully paid for holiday due early may with tui. My guess is these companies, who are stalling on refunds, are waiting for the outcome of discussions between ABTA and the government to see if the regulations on refunds will be changed. From what i can understand (im no expert), ABTA are wanting the government to ammend regulations so that refunds are not compulsary but instead for these vouchers to be protected and guaranteed by the government in the same way that ATOL protect consumers in the case of a company going bust. The reason ATOL wont is because they are skint after paying out on the Thomas Cook collapse.

Do you know when this is gonna be public. Im presently checking everyday to see if anything happens. Also waiting for the FCO to extend this travel ban beyond 16th april.
It's just what I've read mate. Pushed by the European Commission. France already agreed to a 18 month delay.if they go bust, it will be backed by abta/ government. They are treading water till it's agreed, but it's coming imo.2 billion owed alone in one months cancellations. No way have they the cash flow to pay that out. Tui just received a 1.8billion Euro bridging loan from the Germans.

Turkey in June with Jet2. Balance was due on tues but @Swindon Mackem rang them and they put the deadline back to the 14th. We know it’s not gonna happen though and we don’t really want to pay 2K for something that’s not going to happen. Think we’ll just have to lose our deposit.

Meant to be going Spain in may, all I get out of jet2 is the flights are due to carry on from may 1st. They want 150 quid to change the date. Just gonna have to drag it out till they finally cancel on me.

I hope not. You can guarantee prices will be pushed up if this happens.

Got offered to change mine for a 10% discount, holiday is paid in full, I've no idea when I'd book a different one for so have just left it as it is.
7 weeks tomorrow, I doubt I'll be going anywhere.
We go in 4 weeks to Orlando, spoke to virgin yesterday and I said I was happy for them to keep my money and change the date of the holiday, said I wasn’t willing to pay any more than we’d paid already. Phone call 30 mins later saying best she can do was another 3.5k.... said I’ll ring back in a week for a full refund.

Due to fly early may with tui. Offered us a free amendment so we can rebook for next year as technically our holiday is still in place for may due to the FCO advisory only being in place till 15th april, even though we know it wont go ahead. We tried to rebook the identical holiday but for next year and its an extra £1100 for the holiday as the ‘free amendment’ only applies to the admin fee.

We are well aware of the perilous financial situation that the travel industry faces at present and so we were prepared to simply rebook the same holiday but move it to next year so it amazes me how they are crying poverty and encouraging people to rebook or take vouchers instead of refunds, then trying to rip you off if you dont.

We are now sitting tight and will claim a refund.

Same situation for us With TUI.Fly early May, when checking for next year, we can’t get close on price. We a free child place and our other child will then be 2 next year and in theory the older will be at school.

just going to hold out for a refund and maybe get the front drive done instead this year, joy 😒

Back