Hobbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

They're trying to ascertain that you're a normal person with interests/to start up a conversation about something you're passionate about to see if they can get on with you. Football and cooking are two perfectly acceptable answers provided you can hold a conversation about them.

They're trying to ascertain that you're a normal person with interests/to start up a conversation about something you're passionate about to see if they can get on with you. Football and cooking are two perfectly acceptable answers provided you can hold a conversation about them.

He gets offered one job and he's the font of interviewing knowledge :rolleyes:

Had a job interview today and they asked me what my hobbies were... Obviously can't say I like football and cooking, best I could say was that I also do some refereeing on the side. Made me sound like I'm dead boring.
I thought these questions were only asked in French lessons at school.
What are your hobbies or are you as boring as me?

I love walking & birdwatching :oops:

Had a job interview today and they asked me what my hobbies were... Obviously can't say I like football and cooking, best I could say was that I also do some refereeing on the side. Made me sound like I'm dead boring.
Boring? . . . surely that would depend on what you're refereeing on the side of

I've interviewed a few folk over the years and I always thought that the hobbies bit was a bit of a noddy question, but I was then told that it was to see if you were well rounded. They are, but that is only part of it.

The HR bloke who was in on the interviews with me said that he used them to see if the person was passionate about something other than work. If they were, that would be seen as something of a stress buster; a way that the interviewee would wind down when away from work.

He also used it to see if he could weed out any folk who were likely to not be "finishers" e.g. A lad came in and his tech skills were very good, but he had put down that he had done karate, and had attempt long distance cycling. The hr bloke asked him about the cycling and the bloke said he'd started a lands end to John O Groats run but had given up when he got about 2/3 of the way as he was tired of it. Was then asked about his karate belts and he'd got to having a green belt and had stopped because he'd lost interest in it.

As the lad didn't appear to be able see things through, he didn't get the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back