HMS Sunderland

All at the bottom of the briney deep?

Think the last was just decommissioned about 200 years ago.

The last HMS Sunderland sank off Pondicherry in India a couple of hundred years ago, in a storm that ironically also claimed HMS Newcastle.

In answer to the OP, if you want to campaign to name a warship you need to contact the Ships Naming Committee at HMS Nelson. You have little chance of being successful though, the current/planned eight Type 26 City Class frigates have all been recently named. Perhaps one of the future Type 31's although these are very much at the pre-drawing board stage and no class name has been designated yet.

I've also heard that the RN are not keen to use names of ports that they use for mooring their ships, even if it's only once every blue moon for the airshow. I cannit verify this 100% though.
Hasn't HMS Ocean always been our ship. And didn't the Sunderland emergency vessel (a variant of which became HMS ocean) help win the war?

Now decommissioned.

Think the last was just decommissioned about 200 years ago.

The last HMS Sunderland sank off Pondicherry in India a couple of hundred years ago, in a storm that ironically also claimed HMS Newcastle.

In answer to the OP, if you want to campaign to name a warship you need to contact the Ships Naming Committee at HMS Nelson. You have little chance of being successful though, the current/planned eight Type 26 City Class frigates have all been recently named. Perhaps one of the future Type 31's although these are very much at the pre-drawing board stage and no class name has been designated yet.

I've also heard that the RN are not keen to use names of ports that they use for mooring their ships, even if it's only once every blue moon for the airshow. I cannit verify this 100% though.

Now decommissioned.
Worrabout Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool and Newcastle?

Worrabout Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool and Newcastle?

Edinburgh is Leith, Glasgow Faslane. Dunno if ships dock that far up the Tyne. Liverpool and Belfast make me dubious about the claim though and I heard it in a mate of a mate kind of scenario. There's HMS Tyne and HMS Mersey ships though.

Hasn't HMS Ocean always been our ship. And didn't the Sunderland emergency vessel (a variant of which became HMS ocean) help win the war?
Sunderland had Ocean Seaham used to have Brereton and Durham also had Invincible. I was on it when we did remembrance Sunday back in 99 and we spend the day in the boozers with the old sailors. The ship docked on the Tyne for that one weirdly enough.

Back