HMRC Scam

Wild Card

Winger
Just a heads up. There is a new volley HMRC scams going round. Emails and phone calls from people pretending to be HMRC saying you have an unpaid tax bill etc and there are police proceedings being initiated if you do not get in touch.

It must be pretty widespread, I know at least three people that have being contacted so others may experience it.

HMRC will never contact you by email or phone call, only post. Don't get scammed.

I had that, some weird accented bloke telling me a lawsuit was being issued and I needed to ring a number. I grassed them up to the HMRC phishing email address.

It was a Liverpool number which made it fairly plausible.

They have been asking elderley people.to go out and buy google play vouchers and ring back with codes off the back otherwise police will be round to arrest :evil:

They have been asking elderley people.to go out and buy google play vouchers and ring back with codes off the back otherwise police will be round to arrest :evil:
seen something on the net, where they tried this in the states and got through to a sgt in the police station.

Honestly do not know how some people fall for it
the cop didn't mind and led them on well, you could tell the scammer just wanted it to end. good bit of work by the cop, to show it was a scam
a lot of people cannot think for themselves.
same as "this is your internet provider" scam. people not realise that your internet provider will know who they are
I can foresee a big problem we will have will be the click on acceptance of the cookies warning. I find myself doing it now, just clicking on it, because it is so annoying

My wife (no) Had one of these calls the other day. Luckily she is far too savvy for that shite. Called HMRC to report it and was put through to their fraud investigation team where she was informed there is such a scam going around.

Open a personal tax account via gov.uk
Takes a few minutes to do but very secure and you can check tax, pensions, refunds etc via that system.

Just a heads up. There is a new volley HMRC scams going round. Emails and phone calls from people pretending to be HMRC saying you have an unpaid tax bill etc and there are police proceedings being initiated if you do not get in touch.

It must be pretty widespread, I know at least three people that have being contacted so others may experience it.

HMRC will never contact you by email or phone call, only post. Don't get scammed.

Police proceedings for unpaid tax ?

f***ing hell , how are some folk so gullible to fall for that shite.

Back