HMRC - newcastle city centre

well they’re not exactly been replaced are they? And the same opportunities are open to all of those people if they are willing to embrace the change, rather than moaning about having to commute an extra half an hour or something.
So you value those already working in the grey shit tips less than those who might want to relocate from elsewhere? Wow. What respect you have for your colleagues.

well they’re not exactly been replaced are they? And the same opportunities are open to all of those people if they are willing to embrace the change, rather than moaning about having to commute an extra half an hour or something.
What about those that have family responsibilities or something?

What about those that have family responsibilities or something?

I think this is where agile working is becoming more prominent in the workplace (to meet individuals needs) and why government agencies are looking to downsize their property requirements. Even if they stayed at longbenton or Washington those building may well have been too big, so they’d have to agree to use less space, which may not have been attractive to the landlord(s).

Those who live in these "grey shit-tips" as you so eloquently describe them.
People are living in the offices?? No wonder they can’t hack a commute.
They have the consolation being in a City location where they can grab a Pret or something…rather than work in a “grey shit tip”
Pret has left Newcastle. Despite what some on this thread would have you believe, Newcastle’s streets are not paved with gold. The relocation of primarily Newcastle suburbs jobs from Benton Pv to the city centre will be really beneficial.

Last edited:
I’ll just copy and paste the previous reply…….

It’s not just having the jobs on the door step, places around the north east will lose out from the loss of business rates…..but as you say tough shit to the rest of the north east
I think when staff were asked, it turned out they spend £500,000 per year in Stockton town centre. Big loss for local eateries and shops.

I think this is where agile working is becoming more prominent in the workplace (to meet individuals needs) and why government agencies are looking to downsize their property requirements. Even if they stayed at longbenton or Washington those building may well have been too big, so they’d have to agree to use less space, which may not have been attractive to the landlord(s).
Benton and Washington will magically turn into a Reubens funded housing estate
All part of the geordie hawaybia sports washing

It’s not just having the jobs on the door step, places around the north east will lose out from the loss of business rates…..but as you say tough shit to the rest of the north east

The business rates argument is irrelevant here. You pay business rates regardless who's in there (bar 3 months). Whether there is someone in there or not it doesn't make a difference.

Waterview Park and Longbenton are the worst type of offices. In the middle of nowhere, no public transport for the first and doesn't offer any economic benefits to anyone.

The quicker we remove the likes of it the better.

Last edited:
I think when staff were asked, it turned out they spend £500,000 per year in Stockton town centre. Big loss for local eateries and shops.
This is exactly my point, having these jobs nearby are the “primary producers” for other businesses. It’s great news for Newcastle but bad news for places losing the jobs.
The business rates argument is irrelevant here. You pay business rates regardless who's in there (bar 3 months). Whether there is someone in there or not it doesn't make a difference.

Waterview Park is the worst type of office. In the middle of nowhere, no public transport and doesn't offer any economic benefits to anyone.

The quicker we remove the likes of it the better.

So if an authority is currently getting an income from business rates and then the tenants move and stop paying business rates that loss of income is irrelevant? Is that what you’re saying?

Last edited:
This is exactly my point, having these jobs nearby are the “primary producers” for other businesses. It’s great news for Newcastle but bad news for places losing the jobs.

So if an authority is currently getting an income from business rates and then the tenants move and stop paying business rates that loss of income is irrelevant? Is that what you’re saying?

I think his point is that the landlord still has to pay the business rates regardless if the space is tenanted or not, until such time as the landlord choose to demolish the building or can prove that the building is inhabitable.

Yeah but it’ll be moving nearer to some folks homes.
Already behind the times. IMO they should be looking at integrating departments and making Civil Service hubs. If you want to work at home, do so. If not, attend a hub. None of this hybrid shite making staff attend offices to no-ones benefit.

Already behind the times. IMO they should be looking at integrating departments and making Civil Service hubs. If you want to work at home, do so. If not, attend a hub. None of this hybrid shite making staff attend offices to no-ones benefit.
Tough shit. If single mothers can’t be arsed to go to Newcastle they can stack shelves in B&M. Their choice.

Back