HMRC - newcastle city centre

It isn’t though. People can travel. If they aren’t willing then they will have to look elsewhere. That’s life I’m afraid.

I’ll just copy and paste the previous reply…….

It’s not just having the jobs on the door step, places around the north east will lose out from the loss of business rates…..but as you say tough shit to the rest of the north east

I’ll just copy and paste the previous reply…….

It’s not just having the jobs on the door step, places around the north east will lose out from the loss of business rates…..but as you say tough shit to the rest of the north east
Yes they will but somewhere had to be chosen and it was absolutely obvious it was going to be there given nowhere else other than Durham has the transport links.

Being unhappy about 9000 jobs because other places won't get the business rates is like a comment on the Sunderland echo Facebook page 😅

Well apart from people who live close by to those offices who may have forged a career in the civil service will be given the option of extra commuting or to leave. Whichever way you look at people will have more commuting time each day. Also business rates each of the councils would have received from the HMRC offices in their boundaries will be lost. And remember these aren’t new jobs, it not a net gain of jobs for the north east, they’re just centralising existing jobs. It’s more smoke and mirrors. Certain areas of the north east are losing out in this……

plenty of new jobs. Part of the appeal is having a central office. Easy to travel to all the other HMRC offices via train etc. People in professional roles want to work in the city centre etc.

this model has actually allowed a lot more flexibility in migrating roles that historically would have always been located in London.

Being unhappy about 9000 jobs because other places won't get the business rates is like a comment on the Sunderland echo Facebook page 😅
I’m just pointing out that these aren’t new jobs coming to the region, these are existing jobs being shuffled around and some places are losing out.
plenty of new jobs. Part of the appeal is having a central office. Easy to travel to all the other HMRC offices via train etc. People in professional roles want to work in the city centre etc.

this model has actually allowed a lot more flexibility in migrating roles that historically would have always been located in London.

They’re not new jobs though

Read my comment again. Or do you just ignore anything that doesn‘t suit your ‘aren’t we hard done by’ agenda…….

it’s existing jobs from the region……..I should know I know people getting relocated!

here have a read

“The department is relocating staff from Benton Park View in Newcastle and Waterview Park in Washington.”

it’s existing jobs from the region……..I should know I know people getting relocated!

here have a read

“The department is relocating staff from Benton Park View in Newcastle and Waterview Park in Washington.”

I know. You’re missing my point entirely. I’m saying that this regional model allows more flexibility so roles can migrate. It’s not a case of saying ‘we’re moving x amount of jobs from London or wherever’ It’s meaning that people who would ordinarily be ruled out of the reckoning unless they were to relocate, to be able to undertake those jobs locally. Hence potentially bringing a lot more opportunities and/or roles to the region.

i work for HMRC and increasingly seeing this first hand. and part of the reason is the central location of these new offices. Piss easy to travel to all the other offices. Also makes it a more attractive proposition for externals - I mean who wants to work in a grey shit-tip in the middle of nowhere with nowt in the immediate vicinity?

I know. You’re missing my point entirely. I’m saying that this regional model allows more flexibility so roles can migrate. It’s not a case of saying ‘we’re moving x amount of jobs from London or wherever’ It’s meaning that people who would ordinarily be ruled out of the reckoning unless they were to relocate, to be able to undertake those jobs locally. Hence potentially bringing a lot more opportunities and/or roles to the region.

i work for HMRC and increasingly seeing this first hand. and part of the reason is the central location of these new offices. Piss easy to travel to all the other offices. Also makes it a more attractive proposition for externals - I mean who wants to work in a grey shit-tip in the middle of nowhere with nowt in the immediate vicinity?
You’re seriously suggesting moving the office 3 miles to the west of where it is now is going to make a difference as to whether they’re going to put a job in London or the north east? Sweet Jesus. :lol:

Also - “who wants to work in a grey shit tip with nothing in the immediate vicinity?”

Er, you. And I’m guessing you had to apply for that job before starting it, so you’d know exactly where you were going to be.

Last edited:

Those who live in these "grey shit-tips" as you so eloquently describe them.

You’re seriously suggesting moving the office 3 miles to the west of where it is now is going to make a difference as to whether they’re going to put a job in London or the north east? Sweet Jesus. :lol:

Also - “who wants to work in a grey shit tip with nothing in the immediate vicinity?”

Er, you. And I’m guessing you had to apply for that job before starting it, so you’d know exactly where you were going to be.

im more on about the likes of Washington, Peterlee and the likes

im more on about the likes of Washington, Peterlee and the likes
So you’re saying it’s better to get people to relocate from elsewhere rather than attract people from the local area, a local area which has one of the highest rates of unemployment in the country, and that this is somehow good for the north east?

Given that 9,000 people currently work there, I’m sure they’ll be over the moon that one of their own colleagues is on a forum telling the world that they’d prefer attract someone from London than those working in the likes of Peterlee and Washington because they’re “grey shit tips”.

So you’re saying it’s better to get people to relocate from elsewhere rather than attract people from the local area, a local area which has one of the highest rates of unemployment in the country, and that this is somehow good for the north east?

Given that 9,000 people currently work there, I’m sure they’ll be over the moon that one of their own colleagues is on a forum telling the world that they’d prefer attract someone from London than those working in the likes of Peterlee and Washington because they’re “grey shit tips”.

well they’re not exactly been replaced are they? And the same opportunities are open to all of those people if they are willing to embrace the change, rather than moaning about having to commute an extra half an hour or something.

Back