Hitchcock movies

I decided to give it another watch after 20 years. Worse than I remember, I'm afraid.
Other than the Gromek murder it's incredibly bland. The amount of plot contrivances in the last half hour become silly. 2/5

It's probably longer than that since I watched it. All I really remember is the murder and how shit PN was. I'll not bother watching again. While I'm here I'll say The Birds and Psycho do nowt for me. :)

Leon Uris was the fella behind Exodus and other big epic historical novels.

Boys From Brazil was Ira Levin, known for Stepford Wives, Rosemary's Baby, Deathtrap, Bunny Lake Is Missing and Sliver. He would have been a good source for a Hitchcock film, mind. He did however write the script for an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Oops - I stand corrected (in my orthopaedic shoes!)

Deathtrap - I went to London with my Mam around 1980 and saw that at the theatre with William Franklin (Masterspy). Saw it again in 2005 in Houston. Fillum is canny, Michael Caine mentions in his autobiography his discomfort at having to snog Superman!

Psycho was so far ahead of its time it's daft. It's basically the bridge between classic horror and modern horror, but it pops up pretty much a decade before 99% of cinema caught up. The fact that he did it as a mainstream filmmaker not an independent is even more impressive.

Don't get the love on this thread for Shadow of a Doubt. It's really dull and the casting is ridiculous.

I recommend

Lifeboat
Rope
Notorious
Frenzy

and in one of the best suits in cinema history anarl
I always thought it was plain grey but it’s actually a blue-grey glenurqart plaid check (bit like Prince of Wales but without the overcheck). Even with better resolution TVs it’s not that obvious but I’ve seen pics in a book that make it clearer.
I seem to remember Hitch fessing up when asked how did he keep the suit looking good through all the abuse (crop dusting etc) and he said he actually had about six suits made.
There’s a bit of a mystery as to who made it. IIIRC Savile Row tailors Kilgour claimed they made it but internet sleuths have found a screen grab with a different maker’s tag inside - Quintino - so it’s believed Hitch took the cloth from the first suit and had a bunch of other copies made for the stunts.

A few of Hitchcock's films are ok. Psycho is probably the best for me.
However, if you want to watch a few old films (not hitchcock though), I'd go for Angels with dirty faces (Cagney) 12 angry men (Henry Fonda). Some like it hot (Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon). Marathon man (Dustin Hoffman). Cool hand Luke (Paul Newman). White heat (Cagney).

Back