Historic Prints of Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

gipetto

Striker
Do any places sell historic prints of Sunderland? I'd like to buy a canvas. Ideally that have been updated in colour?

Do any places sell historic prints of Sunderland? I'd like to buy a canvas. Ideally that have been updated in colour?
Why some fake added colour?

I can't think of anywhere selling really. Even in Whitby I think the frank meadow Sutcliffe gallery struggles these days

Why some fake added colour?

I can't think of anywhere selling really. Even in Whitby I think the frank meadow Sutcliffe gallery struggles these days

Because I don't want it in black and white.

Is it easier to find an image and have it transferred on a canvas? If so, does anyone know of any websites that have historical images of Sunderland, in a high resolution of course.

Better off just buying some old coloured-in postcards and printing some enlargements. Same guesswork/looking shite as above, without the computer. :lol:

Or just buy some more recent colour images and support some starving local 'artist' instead. :lol:;)

Better off just buying some old coloured-in postcards and printing some enlargements. Same guesswork/looking shite as above, without the computer. :lol:

Or just buy some more recent colour images and support some starving local 'artist' instead. :lol:;)
You need to move to a tourist area and start coming out in daylight ;)

You most probably know about these , And they're mainly in black & white too , but:
https://www.francisfrith.com/modern-county-of-sunderland/photos
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch?search=Sunderland

Actually , gipetto - if you register on 'britainfromabove' , you can zoom in to the photos.
They can be quite interesting - sounds sad i know , but i've zoomed in on some views of the cemetery that i work in , i find it interesting seeing what it looked like in the 1940's/50's , when the place didnt have so many 'used graves' in it.

Last edited:
You most probably know about these , And they're mainly in black & white too , but:
https://www.francisfrith.com/modern-county-of-sunderland/photos
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch?search=Sunderland

Actually , gipetto - if you register on 'britainfromabove' , you can zoom in to the photos.
They can be quite interesting - sounds sad i know , but i've zoomed in on some views of the cemetery that i work in , i find it interesting seeing what it looked like in the 1940's/50's , when the place didnt have so many 'used graves' in it.

Thanks mate. Very helpful.

Thanks mate. Very helpful.

This might be a good time to ask those older members about a man nicknamed Cherry Ripe. He was some unfortunate soul who used to wander about Millfield in the early 40's . He used to play a tin whistle and would have stood out as I gather he was always bothering people.

This might be a good time to ask those older members about a man nicknamed Cherry Ripe. He was some unfortunate soul who used to wander about Millfield in the early 40's . He used to play a tin whistle and would have stood out as I gather he was always bothering people.

This may or may not be connected to the guy you are talking about.. in the mid seventies, there used to be an old guy who came into the Willow Pond on a Saturday night selling the football echo. Probably worked his way up Hylton road from the town but would have a pint in every pub... (That used to be a fair few pubs too.) The reason I remember him was that since that day, I've never seen anyone shift a pint so quick. He must've opened his throat and poured it straight into his stomach. Probably long since died but not forgotten by a kid out drinking with his dad. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back