Hip replacement

Try to remember that the hip is new but the surrounding muscle, tissue and bone are the same old items.
Go easy, you’ve nothing to prove.
I was about 15lbs over weight prior and cut that in half before the op. Continued after op and am now at 155 with 17% bf. Not as muscular as I would like but arthritis and age are telling me to ‘go easy Poppy’.
My post op friend was an elliptical machine. Workouts now are mostly stretching, walking and biking.

Had Op yesterday lunchtime and getting discharged this afternoon.
Was so anxious pre op but it was fine went really well and hip pain I had is now gone.
Recovery starts now
so glad I had it done spoke to a lot of people who have suffered for years with knee and hip pain I would highly recommend get it sorted ASAP if possible don’t suffer 👍

Was so anxious pre op but it was fine went really well and hip pain I had is now gone.
Recovery starts now
so glad I had it done spoke to a lot of people who have suffered for years with knee and hip pain I would highly recommend get it sorted ASAP if possible don’t suffer 👍

Wishing you a speedy recovery but don't push it. 👍

Recovery starts now
How’s that new hip? Feeling better I hope.

How’s that new hip? Feeling better I hope.
Woke up yesterday and tried to move my leg was very painful around thigh area think the Op anaesthetic must of fully worn off so got the meds in and felt ok by lunchtime need to keep the painkillers going tho
Been doing the physio stuff and it feels good the old hip pain I had has totally gone early days but I feel confident it is going to be good 👍

Are you permitted to walk? If so, a short walk a few times per day will keep things limbered up and will keep your heart pumping. Mine was done in the colder weather so I did laps around my house indoors. Most of all, listen to it. If it’s saying “I’m sore”, take a break.
Best of luck to you and hope you have a smooth recovery.

Are you permitted to walk? If so, a short walk a few times per day will keep things limbered up and will keep your heart pumping. Mine was done in the colder weather so I did laps around my house indoors. Most of all, listen to it. If it’s saying “I’m sore”, take a break.
Best of luck to you and hope you have a smooth recovery.
Yeah am up on the sticks also doing laps around the house 👍

Five years in and I’m doing fine. 25 miles on the bike twice per week.
If I can give any advice it’s this. If you’re overweight use this as a wake up call as your joints aren’t designed to carry any extra baggage. I lost 25 pounds pre and post replacement and I know it’s made a difference in my overall health. Once you’re out and ready, start moving and stay moving. Not saying run a marathon but small walks around the house and then around the neighborhood.
Are you getting anterior or posterior? Anterior is what I had and it’s much less invasive.
Best of luck and keep us posted.
edit: Your young age is going to work in your favor.

Last edited:
Five years in and I’m doing fine. 25 miles on the bike twice per week.
If I can give any advice it’s this. If you’re overweight use this as a wake up call as your joints aren’t designed to carry any extra baggage. I lost 25 pounds pre and post replacement and I know it’s made a difference in my overall health. Once you’re out and ready, start moving and stay moving. Not saying run a marathon but small walks around the house and then around the neighborhood.
Are you getting anterior or posterior? Anterior is what I had and it’s much less invasive.
Best of luck and keep us posted.
edit: Your young age is going to work in your favor.
Cheers mate. All sounds positive. No idea about anterior or posterior, that's the first I've heard of that! Need to find out.
I'll be having a dryish August, shift a bit of weight, then hopefully slowly getting back to some fitness work. The elipticall and bike in the gym is all I've done for 5 years so should be back to that.

In for my hip op next week. Not happy about it but has to be done after 5 years of pain, quite young at 49.
Any tips? You make a full recovery @ChrisK?
Yeah am all good mate and like you I wasn’t looking forward to it, but so glad I got it done, the pain after the Op was not too bad obviously the pain killers manage that for you, think I took painkiller pills for around 3 too 4 days after op
then was off them altogether.
Follow the physio guide without over doing it, literally small steps at first 👍
Be careful on the stairs feels weird leading with your new hip leg.
For me been pain free when walking was great, you will wish you had it done earlier.
I now back to hill walking, cycling and swimming with no issues at all.
Good luck

@pablo casals The suspense is killing me. How did your hip surgery go? Hopefully no issues.
All good thanks. A week in and walking about slowly. A little bit more everyday. A bit sore still and uncomfortable but all went well. Hopefully I'll be on the bike and in the gym within a month or so.
I'd love to run again, not sure how sensible that is and there is a five a side knock I could do that has very little contact, but we'll see, that was what put me here in the first place.

Heard the hammering as it was put in but was too full of drugs to care.

All good thanks. A week in and walking about slowly. A little bit more everyday. A bit sore still and uncomfortable but all went well. Hopefully I'll be on the bike and in the gym within a month or so.
I'd love to run again, not sure how sensible that is and there is a five a side knock I could do that has very little contact, but we'll see, that was what put me here in the first place.

Heard the hammering as it was put in but was too full of drugs to care.
How’s it going now ?
from my experience the pain was mainly in my thigh down towards my knee, and around the scar area, your original hip pain all gone now ?

How’s it going now ?
from my experience the pain was mainly in my thigh down towards my knee, and around the scar area, your original hip pain all gone now ?
All good thanks. 2 weeks later and Im walking without crutches, better than I expected. Bit sore and uncomfortable around the scar but no real pain, just need to walk as much as possible for now and see if It continúes to improve when I get the 30 odd staples out. Id love to be able to jpg again, but that must be 3 or 4 months away at least.

Back