Hip replacement

Had mine done in December 2017. Easy as cake! If you can find a doc that does the anterior approach go with that. If you’re overweight start now losing weight. Recovery will be easier if you’re closer to optimum health.
And whatever you do, do not fall on the ice in March of 2018! I did that and the implant twisted the shit out of my femur. No walking for 4 months. All good now though but was quite a setback

Wow sounds brutal that 4 month no walking
I normal weight and pretty fit
Not sure on anterior op all I been told is it is a full hip replacement using Exeter trident joint just waiting for date from Bupa but bit of delay as they helping nhs out due to covid
Out of interest How quick were u out walking ?

To be clear the hip replacement went perfectly. I walked in the center at 6:00am and walked out at a little after noon. Next few days was a bit sore but PT started and got me going ASAP. Most painful I can recall was lying on my back and raising my leg.
I was 62 when I got it replaced.

Ronnie Coleman was doing squats five months after his hip replacement. Although I really wouldn’t advise following his lead.

Ha that’s mad never not a fan of squats suppose Andy Murray another example he playing top class tennis
To be clear the hip replacement went perfectly. I walked in the center at 6:00am and walked out at a little after noon. Next few days was a bit sore but PT started and got me going ASAP. Most painful I can recall was lying on my back and raising my leg.
I was 62 when I got it replaced.

It’s agony for me to raise my leg now struggle to put my sock on and walking is painful at times so hopefully will be well worth it 👍

My mam is needing a new hip. She had to lose weight before they would do the op, then covid came and shes been waiting. Can barley walk as the bones are just crunching off eachother. Has lost all the weight required so was hoping to get in soon as after her last scan/xray they put her on an urgent list. Was then told it would still be months. So they've decided to go private and got the news yesterday shes booked in for mid November

My mam is needing a new hip. She had to lose weight before they would do the op, then covid came and shes been waiting. Can barley walk as the bones are just crunching off eachother. Has lost all the weight required so was hoping to get in soon as after her last scan/xray they put her on an urgent list. Was then told it would still be months. So they've decided to go private and got the news yesterday shes booked in for mid November
Best of luck to her.

Just out of interest, how long does it normally take to recover from this? I'm only asking cos my mate is getting it done next week and he's meant to be fitting me a new combi boiler when he's had it done. He's not going to be able to do it before Christmas is he?

Just out of interest, how long does it normally take to recover from this? I'm only asking cos my mate is getting it done next week and he's meant to be fitting me a new combi boiler when he's had it done. He's not going to be able to do it before Christmas is he?
Think its 6 weeks to be pretty much back to normal sensible stuff how did he get on ?? I just got my op date in very near future

If he’s any kind of contractor he should know the golden Rule:
Never promise completion before the upcoming holiday or before the baby’s born.

I watched the Netflix documentary about him and he looked absolutely fucked.
Yeah. I saw that, it was sad to watch.

Also, I seem to be saying this a lot on this forum lately, but if you compare Ronnie Coleman now with how mobile and healthy Jay Cutler - his main rival - is these days, and consider how Ronnie pushed it a lot closer to the extremes lifting crazy weights, while Cutler, pretty strong in his own right, was and remains much more of a volume trainer who emphasises doing 8-12 reps for multiple sets, it’s a no brainer what most gym goers (by which I mean, people who don’t intend to become competitive powerlifters and/or people who haven’t spent sufficient time totally mastering the squat, deadlift, OHP etc) should be doing if they have respect for their physical well-being and want to reduce the chances of injury (there still remains a chance of injury regardless with anything physical).

Yeah. I saw that, it was sad to watch.

Also, I seem to be saying this a lot on this forum lately, but if you compare Ronnie Coleman now with how mobile and healthy Jay Cutler - his main rival - is these days, and consider how Ronnie pushed it a lot closer to the extremes lifting crazy weights, while Cutler, pretty strong in his own right, was and remains much more of a volume trainer who emphasises doing 8-12 reps for multiple sets, it’s a no brainer what most gym goers (by which I mean, people who don’t intend to become competitive powerlifters and/or people who haven’t spent sufficient time totally mastering the squat, deadlift, OHP etc) should be doing if they have respect for their physical well-being and want to reduce the chances of injury (there still remains a chance of injury regardless with anything physical).
Yeah I’m a complete beginner with weights etc in order to lose weight, and I see some people doing exercises that look genuinely painful and I’m never sure what benefit there is to it. I saw someone doing what I think is called a deadlift and they really jerked their back to lift the weight - I felt my own spine snapping in sympathy.

Try to remember that the hip is new but the surrounding muscle, tissue and bone are the same old items.
Go easy, you’ve nothing to prove.
I was about 15lbs over weight prior and cut that in half before the op. Continued after op and am now at 155 with 17% bf. Not as muscular as I would like but arthritis and age are telling me to ‘go easy Poppy’.
My post op friend was an elliptical machine. Workouts now are mostly stretching, walking and biking.

Yeah I’m a complete beginner with weights etc in order to lose weight, and I see some people doing exercises that look genuinely painful and I’m never sure what benefit there is to it. I saw someone doing what I think is called a deadlift and they really jerked their back to lift the weight - I felt my own spine snapping in sympathy.
I actually winced just reading this. 😬

Try to remember that the hip is new but the surrounding muscle, tissue and bone are the same old items.
Go easy, you’ve nothing to prove.
I was about 15lbs over weight prior and cut that in half before the op. Continued after op and am now at 155 with 17% bf. Not as muscular as I would like but arthritis and age are telling me to ‘go easy Poppy’.
My post op friend was an elliptical machine. Workouts now are mostly stretching, walking and biking.
I have tight hips, personally. What’s really helped me is using the Hip Abductor Machine (or Bad Girl Machine to some) as something of a warm up before doing legs. I only use a light weight. Most men avoid this machine like the plague for fear of looking slightly ridiculous, but I can’t recommend it enough.

i’m waiting for a new knee, been trying to delay it for years but itnis now on its last leg. Pain is terrible but only when I put weight on it, sitting, sleeping no problem, had cartilage out 52 years ago. Never been right since.

Back