Hiking/Walking

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Big Cat, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Winger

Can anyone recommend any good routes in the North of England?
    Doing Blencathra next weekend so need to get the practice in!
    Did a class walk of Roseberry Topping last week and want to get out and do something of similar ilk this week.
    Did Scafell Pike last Oct and now its the New Year want to use this as a chance/change to shift some timber.

2. Cowvahlo

Cowvahlo Striker

Which way are you going up Blencathra mate?

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Winger

Not the Edge :lol:

Cowvahlo likes this.
  4. Cowvahlo

Cowvahlo Striker

:lol:Thank fuck! That’s what I was getting at!

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Winger

Need a bit more practice and decent weather for that!

6. Approach it from the east . From the west is much more difficult and you have to keep turning round to see the view .

Big Cat likes this.
  7. waddy999

waddy999 Winger

Do a bit of the Pennine Way northwards starting at Middleton in Teesdale, you could do a bit of wild camping too.;)

Big Cat likes this.
  8. Starting at the cattle mart ? My favourite walk . Wainwright said from there to High Force is the best part of the Pennine Way.

Big Cat and waddy999 like this.
  9. DaveH

DaveH Striker

The Cheviot hills are good, and there are plenty of good walks in Weardale. Stanhope has a few good places to start from.

Big Cat likes this.
  10. max wartbug

max wartbug Winger

Park at Howtown on Ullswater and walk round to Glenridding (about 4 hours) then get the ferry back to Howtown.

Big Cat likes this.
  11. GingerNick

GingerNick Striker

I love walks round our old industrial heritage and geology

slit woods is great as is Bollihope burn

both are walks that can be short or longer is you just incorporate the surrounding areas into them
    I also like walks around simonside and thrunton woods..love walking along the ridge at simonside

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Big Cat and Jasper like this.
  12. pfoz88

pfoz88 Central Defender

Weardale is a real treasure trove of this stuff, fascinates me how much stuff is hidden away either side of the valley from Frosterly through to Nenthead, the old mine on the road up to Allenheads from Rookhope, Slit Hill, theres mine workings and the remains of the old infrastructure everywhere.

Kevj, Falconhoof and Big Cat like this.
  13. Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth Central Defender Contributor

I do opposite way....park at glenridding, steamer boat to howtown, 7 mile walk back.

Dan..Dan..Dan..Dan and Big Cat like this.
  14. GingerNick

GingerNick Striker

up on top above westgate where they exposed the seam is amazing you can see how it is formed and the direction it lays (plus I love rooting in the spoil tips for bits of fluorite)

but Bollihope is really good for me as it has old lead mine working then the limestone workings later..the dog walkers tend to only walk around the top end..the further you go the less people you see

plus the exposed planes where the river cuts through...then the added ineterest of the burn itself vanishing into a sinkhole if water levels are low...so the riverbed dries up then turns up lower down the valley in the main old quarry

you can see exposed frosterly marble if the waterfall before the big quarry is dry and climb down into it

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Big Cat likes this.
  15. waddy999

waddy999 Winger

Alfred was right, gorgeous walk! Did it loads of times when the kids were younger, we once walked from Stanhope over the top to Middleton. My old dad called me a cruel bugger!:lol:

Big Cat and DisillusionedOldGit like this.
  16. Big Cat

Big Cat Winger

Anyone got any maps or starter points for the aforementioned routes?

17. ouro

ouro Striker

I was thinking that myself. The Doris wants to walk more in 2018 and has put a tracker app on her phone. I don't mind walking as long as I can stop at every pub along the way. There are some for the lakes:
    http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/thingstodo/walking/routes-and-maps

Big Cat likes this.
  18. Big Cat

Big Cat Winger

So much to see not enough time to see it!
    Pub stops sound good though, aslong as they've got some decent ales on!

ouro likes this.
  19. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Winger

oddly I knew I knew Bollihope burn but couldn't place it, so I searched just found this link with map

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12638.0

I normally walk around there a couple of times a year too :oops:

Falconhoof likes this.
  20. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Winger

No where near as bad as people make out.
    Unless it's windy like then it is a bit nawty