Hiking Boots

If you can't afford top end, get ones with a good sole as a minimum. Vibram or suchlike.

I’ve lost count of the number of reviews saying their Vibram soles were worn out in a matter of months,
much the same as with mine and I can only walk very limited distances now.

Surely there must be something better ?

Hi Tecs.
Seriously.

I always thought they must be cheap tat, yet they’re the most comfortable and long wearing I’ve had in recent years and they were hand me downs from my lad who had already used them a fair bit.

Can’t find the same ones advertised now. I imagine they took them off the market cos they were lasting too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to spend fortunes on "brand" names and get 12-18 months out of them
When I moved up here, the guy in the sports shop in Kingussie recommended these to me

Welcome to the Hoggs of Fife 1888 Trade Catalogue

£85 and they're brilliant - comfortable but indestructible

Brashers are a good shout as well - I got a pair of Country Trekkers for £63 in the summer and they're great

I reckon I've got all seasons covered with these two and they'll last for years

Try the Altberg factory on Richmond Ind. Estate. They measure your feet and recommend the type of boots you need.
It's very popular with squaddies from Catterick Garrison. Had a pair from there for 8 years now and still going strong
I’ve had my Altberg boots for 3 years now. I walk between 90,000 to 110,000 steps per week. By far the best boot I’ve ever owned.
Trip to North Yorkshire to get fitted up again for a new pair.

I used to spend fortunes on "brand" names and get 12-18 months out of them
When I moved up here, the guy in the sports shop in Kingussie recommended these to me

Welcome to the Hoggs of Fife 1888 Trade Catalogue

£85 and they're brilliant - comfortable but indestructible

Brashers are a good shout as well - I got a pair of Country Trekkers for £63 in the summer and they're great

I reckon I've got all seasons covered with these two and they'll last for years
Munro look like decent boots for the price like.

Munro look like decent boots for the price like.
The guy who sold them to me told me he'd done two years hiking around Patagonia with a pair and reckoned they would have lasted 10 years+
I was doing 30-40 miles a week all through last winter and the early spring in them and the soles look as good as new
You can get them for under £80 on ebay

decide if you need a leather 4 season boot or if you can get away with a lighter 3 season boot

I have Salomon quest 4d GTX

a 3 season gore tex boot

supremely comfortable, no need for multiple pairs of socks or owt daft like that and a good high ankle

well worth the money, when these ones are finished I will buy the exact same pair again
Got the same, fabulous boots. Had a pair of meindle bhutans before these and could i fook break them in. Most uncomfortable boot i have ever owned. These however were like slippers straight out the box.

Back