High protein snacks

I’ve revamped my lunch. Had tuna and egg salad today and by sticking in my tea and my post training (it’ll be a 2-3 mile run tonight) shake into MFP I’ve smashed my protein target and, after treating myself to a cappuccino, I still have about 150 calories to spare (which equates to a bag of iced gems and a packet of raisins with my 9pm cup of tea) - going forward I’ll up the amount of muesli I have in the morning.

I also switched breaded chicken for 2 Sainsbury’s lean beef escalopes for tea the other night and it upped my protein intake and reduced my fat/carbs significantly.

It’s made me realise that, even when I was 13st7 before kids and in the gym 4 days a week with 2 games of 5 aside on top that I wasn’t eating properly.

For the posters saying make your own jerky, what cut of beef do you usually use? I have managed to make a really nice tasting marinade but the beef sometimes comes out full of gristle. say about 25% to 30% of the beef. I guess its part and parcel of jerky as its not getting hot enough to render the fat. The recipe I used said use brisket with no marbling, which I did, but it still didn't stop their being too much gristle for my liking and the price.

Also how long do you keep it once you have cooked/dehydrated it?

Last edited:
For the posters saying make your own jerky, what cut of beef do you usually use? I have managed to make a really nice tasting marinade but the beef sometimes comes out full of gristle. say about 25% to 30% of the beef. I guess its part and parcel of jerky as its not getting hot enough to render the fat. The recipe I used said use brisket with no marbling, which I did, but it still didn't stop their being too much gristle for my liking and the price.

Also how long do you keep it once you have cooked/dehydrated it?
Topside/silverside thinly sliced against the grain

I’d probably wouldn’t keep it longer than a week (but I’m sure you can) but it never lasts that long. All depends on how moist it is I guess. I also vac pack mine.

Topside/silverside thinly sliced against the grain

I’d probably wouldn’t keep it longer than a week (but I’m sure you can) but it never lasts that long. All depends on how moist it is I guess. I also vac pack mine.

Thanks, will try a better cut. I have a feeling with it being dehydrated and salted it will last a while but dont want to dabble with botulism.

Does anyone know when is the best time to snack on a protein bar/shake/snack etc if they are weight training? pre/post/during etc. when will your body take maximum benefit?

To answer my own thread, I’ve just discovered some of the Icelandic/quark-based yoghurts in the supermarkets. Between 75 and 120 calories and between 14g and 22g protein depending on the brand (mainly because they are in different sizes tubs).

Mrs Dundee prefers the Skyr ones but I’ve got a taste for the Nestle Kvark ones.

I’ve replaced my “normal” lunchtime yoghurt with these, have replaced my oatcakes at lunch with tuna and egg salad, and am being more careful about what protein source I’m choosing for tea. Switched to the Nature Valley protein bars for my mid morning snack (10g all from nuts etc)

Ignoring our 3 days away last week where healthy eating went out of the window, I’ve met or beaten my protein target without resorting to a 2nd protein shake 8 days in the last 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Not sure about the merits of chasing a lot of protein unless it’s for short term gain. We all have enough protein in our diets and too much can lead to digestive problems.

Peanut butter is an easy source of plant based protein, eaten or mixed In.

Not sure about the merits of chasing a lot of protein unless it’s for short term gain. We all have enough protein in our diets and too much can lead to digestive problems.

From what I've read and listened to a lot of the research that underpins 'how much is enough' for protein came from farming studies - where the aim of the experiment was to see how little they could get away with feeding whilst still growing the product, for cost reasons. The research wasn't set out to answer 'what is the optimal amount of protein for muscle gain' or such like.

It may cost more to eat more protein but if you can afford it then that becomes a non-issue.

Protein also has the highest thermogenic effect of any of the macronutrients, meaning you can eat more of it for the same net caloric intake (albeit it isn't a big impact), thus potentially helping with satiety.

For me, I also enjoy it. For all I enjoy all of my food it's generally the meat I look forward to most in any meal.

Hopefully if people balance the protein intake with enough fibre (another source of high thermogenic effect) digestive problems should also be avoidable.

Not saying there is necessarily any merit to eating a higher protein diet, just that for some it may be desirable.

I’m not “chasing a lot of protein”, according to MyFitnessPal I wasn’t getting enough - it said I should target 144g and I was lucky if I was hitting 100g beforehand.

My wife is also getting personal training and she has been told that getting the right amount of protein is vital if you want to lose weight and maintain as much muscle as possible. She’s been told to build her meals around her protein whereas we’d always built our meal around carbs (especially as my Mrs is a veggie).

Argos are selling a Grenade Carb Killer kit for a reduced price of £23.99 which is decent value.

It comes with 12 bars, 8 shakes and 1 jar of spread. You can't choose your flavours.

I've bought some and the flavours I got each time are: Bars = Caramel Chaos/Shakes = Fudge Brownie/Spread = White Chocolate Cookie.

Back