High blood pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

snarlz II

Winger
Had a routine medical at work and I was 190/110 and the medic says it's typical white coat syndrome which I know I have. I just hate having my bp taken. They've given me one to wear 24 hours and it's down to 140/85.
Anyone else suffer from this?

Had a routine medical at work and I was 190/110 and the medic says it's typical white coat syndrome which I know I have. I just hate having my bp taken. They've given me one to wear 24 hours and it's down to 140/85.
Aye, usually around the 95-100 mark. them monitors are a waste of time if you do physical graft. they either slip off or you have to stop mid pose to let it do its stuff. Anyway I`m on ramopril twice a day

Aye, usually around the 95-100 mark. them monitors are a waste of time if you do physical graft. they either slip off or you have to stop mid pose to let it do its stuff. Anyway I`m on ramopril twice a day
Does that drug have any side effects mate? Not looking forward to trying to sleep with it on when it keeps inflating

Does that drug have any side effects mate? Not looking forward to trying to sleep with it on when it keeps inflating
they can cause kidney problems if your not careful. I have to have a blood test every so often to check kidney function. Good fun with high blood pressure though as the claret flows straight into the tube no messing. Sounds like a factory lass pissing :lol:

they can cause kidney problems if your not careful. I have to have a blood test every so often to check kidney function. Good fun with high blood pressure though as the claret flows straight into the tube no messing. Sounds like a factory lass pissing :lol:
Ffs :lol:

Mine is low averages about 90/70 ticker about 88 but i've a bicuspid aortic heart valve and ascending thoracic Aneurysm.
Believe it or not more people die of low than high.

For original poster

Top tip buy a decent home BP Monitor many are cheap enough but dont go under the 20 quid mark. Always go for the right cuff size so not too big and no too tight a good pharmacist will advise usually

Recent studies showed that home blood pressure monitoring is as accurate as a 24-hour ambulatory monitoring in determining blood pressure levels.[10] Researchers at the University of Turku, Finland studied 98 patients with untreated hypertension. They compared patients using a home blood pressure device and those wearing a 24-hour ambulatory monitor. Researcher Dr. Niiranen said that "home blood pressure measurement can be used effectively for guiding anti-hypertensive treatment". Dr. Stergiou added that home tracking of blood pressure "is more convenient and also less costly than ambulatory monitoring."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_coat_hypertension

Good luck

Been on medication for hypertension for nearly twenty years. It's never been a problem and is well controlled by the medication.

Mine is low averages about 90/70 ticker about 88 but i've a bicuspid aortic heart valve and ascending thoracic Aneurysm.
Believe it or not more people die of low than high.

For original poster

Top tip buy a decent home BP Monitor many are cheap enough but dont go under the 20 quid mark. Always go for the right cuff size so not too big and no too tight a good pharmacist will advise usually

Recent studies showed that home blood pressure monitoring is as accurate as a 24-hour ambulatory monitoring in determining blood pressure levels.[10] Researchers at the University of Turku, Finland studied 98 patients with untreated hypertension. They compared patients using a home blood pressure device and those wearing a 24-hour ambulatory monitor. Researcher Dr. Niiranen said that "home blood pressure measurement can be used effectively for guiding anti-hypertensive treatment". Dr. Stergiou added that home tracking of blood pressure "is more convenient and also less costly than ambulatory monitoring."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_coat_hypertension

Good luck
this. I got mine out of boots and its fairly spot on. Another advantage is you can make sure you are properly relaxed when you do it. A big part of white coat syndrome isnt just the fear of doctors its the running round like an arsehole that usually precedes an appointment. Rushing to finish work early, trying to park, the walk to the docs etc. Ideally the doc should take it once, let you rest five mins, take it again then check it on the old style pump and squeeze meter

Does it have any side effects? I'm an electrician and work on motorways etc so need my wits about me
Nope. I have no bother with the ones I am on but one of the early ones made me dizzy so that got dropped. Can't remember which one it was so long ago.

You will probably find your blood pressure settles down if you have a home monitor and test yourself at home when you are relaxed.

Edit: it was an ACE inhibitor called Lisinopril.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it have any side effects? I'm an electrician and work on motorways etc so need my wits about me

I was put on a low 1.25mg dose of Ramipril because there is evidence it may preserve the diameter of my valve. Piss like trooper but no other side affects ie that would affect your judgement like Alcohol etc

Yep, I always had this issue - just the sight of the doctors white coat and the feel of the squeezing tournequet device around my arm was enough to put my heart rate and bp up a couple of notches.
In reality the nervous factor shoukd elevate your heart rate and upper diastolic level - but shouldn't have much impact on the lower systolic reading.
If you have a job where you have stress / pressure you might find that your bp is often elevated - and therefore its maybe best to do something about that as it can be damaging.
Mine was 160 over 95 using the 24 hr monitor- doc said it was 'borderline' - but I opted for a mild dose of ace inhibitor and now its 120 over 60. I also take a mild statin ad my cholestrol was marginally high.
You could try meditation also to reduce bp and heart rate.

Yep, I always had this issue - just the sight of the doctors white coat and the feel of the squeezing tournequet device around my arm was enough to put my heart rate and bp up a couple of notches.
In reality the nervous factor shoukd elevate your heart rate and upper diastolic level - but shouldn't have much impact on the lower systolic reading.
If you have a job where you have stress / pressure you might find that your bp is often elevated - and therefore its maybe best to do something about that as it can be damaging.
Mine was 160 over 95 using the 24 hr monitor- doc said it was 'borderline' - but I opted for a mild dose of ace inhibitor and now its 120 over 60. I also take a mild statin ad my cholestrol was marginally high.
You could try meditation also to reduce bp and heart rate.
What was your cholesterol mate? Mine was 5.4 and he said that was typical for my age, I'm 53

What was your cholesterol mate? Mine was 5.4 and he said that was typical for my age, I'm 53
I think it wad 5.6 - borderline high he said.
Id read a bit about statins - abs zero risk and mine is a low dose. Not sure what level its down to now as i havent yet had a retest.
Bettet err on side of lower I reckon.
The doctor might also take into account your general condition / weight / bmi etc. Im 54

Last edited:
I think it wad 5.6 - borderline high he said.
Id read a bit about statins - abs zero risk and mine is a low dose. Not sure what level its down to now as i havent yet had a retest.
Bettet err on side lf lower I reckon.
The doctor might also take into account your general condition / weight / bmi etc. Im 54
Yeah he said 5.4 was borderline. Appreciate your advice thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back