HGV license....

If you have a family and like them, don't do it. I'm stuck doing now. Money looks good BUT you do alot of hours. There's a few places in the northeast that do pay good money for decent hours like greggs and the co-op but getting a job at greggs is rare as hens teeth and the co-op is hard graft for the money.

For your average general haulage job the pay is anywhere from Ā£9-12ph then you'd expect to be away 4-5 nights per week and do anywhere upto 73hours.

Most companies won't pay for parking unless you have a high value load so it's either laybys or industrial estates. (Great fun waking up during the night busting for a shite)

I couldn't tell you how much it is to pass your test as the army paid for mine but if you have any questions about the job just send me a message šŸ‘šŸ»

This is a big issue for most driver's.

The easiest job out there is doing trunk work on nights.

I've just started a job doing this, said years ago I'd never work nights again but it is much easier. I pick a trailer up from fowlers then do between 3 and 5 drops in the south west then drop my trailer into langdons in Bridgwater. Have 9 off then do 1 or 2 drops back in the northeast. I do that twice Thursday night till Monday morning.

I've just started a job doing this, said years ago I'd never work nights again but it is much easier. I pick a trailer up from fowlers then do between 3 and 5 drops in the south west then drop my trailer into langdons in Bridgwater. Have 9 off then do 1 or 2 drops back in the northeast. I do that twice Thursday night till Monday morning.

Even easier if you do a network job. Turn up around 7pm for a trip down to the Midlands, offload/reload and back to the yard for between 4/6am.
I can well imagine it will be. I think if you want to earn that kind of money you have to make the decision to commit to it and accept that lifestyle, similar to people who work offshore.

Are you a grafter or looking for an easy run?

Last edited:
Keep ya money in your arse pocket marra.... It's a shite job and I had a well paid one... Was over 40 grand with expenses...I did it for over 40 years... I'm just thankful I retired a couple of years ago...I could bore you with every thing that's wrong with the job but it would take me a fortnight.

Keep ya money in your arse pocket marra.... It's a shite job and I had a well paid one... Was over 40 grand with expenses...I did it for over 40 years... I'm just thankful I retired a couple of years ago...I could bore you with every thing that's wrong with the job but it would take me a fortnight.

40k though. Not bad money, you have to think where else you would get that for a similar skill level.

... I have been giving some thought to getting an hgv license. Been having a look around at jobs lately and not having a hgv license has previously held me back at work. How much am I looking at for training(full thing, cpc, theory and practical lessons)? Looked at a few places online and they are giving headline grabbing prices of around Ā£200 which I just donā€™t think is accurate for a class 1 license. Also, whatā€™s it like trying to get a job as a new license holder?

Have you not considered doing parcels? you can earn a fair coin doing 10hrs a day without any outlay.
I have but it seems like a lot of hassle unless you are directly employed by one of the big lads like dpd or Amazon. Iā€™m happy to be corrected of course.

How happy are you to tramp? Do you have missus, kids?
Most of the lads I know are making more coin working for themselves on the 3.5t vans and Luton Curtainsiders doing general light haulage than they were on the wagons. No additional licence, CPC or tachos. You need to be willing to tramp though to cut down the dead miles if you want to make decent coin.

Back