HGV license....

5underland

Midfield
... I have been giving some thought to getting an hgv license. Been having a look around at jobs lately and not having a hgv license has previously held me back at work. How much am I looking at for training(full thing, cpc, theory and practical lessons)? Looked at a few places online and they are giving headline grabbing prices of around £200 which I just don’t think is accurate for a class 1 license. Also, what’s it like trying to get a job as a new license holder?

Got a mate who does this so only 2nd hand info like. Getting into it isn’t apparently that hard but you need to work your way up like owt else, agency jobs etc to start with. Money around 20k a year unless you can get on the tankers with big firms which can pay a chunk more, but that’s where the work your way up part comes in. Good luck.

Got a mate who does this so only 2nd hand info like. Getting into it isn’t apparently that hard but you need to work your way up like owt else, agency jobs etc to start with. Money around 20k a year unless you can get on the tankers with big firms which can pay a chunk more, but that’s where the work your way up part comes in. Good luck.

You'd get more than 20k but expect 10-12hr a day shifts.
... I have been giving some thought to getting an hgv license. Been having a look around at jobs lately and not having a hgv license has previously held me back at work. How much am I looking at for training(full thing, cpc, theory and practical lessons)? Looked at a few places online and they are giving headline grabbing prices of around £200 which I just don’t think is accurate for a class 1 license. Also, what’s it like trying to get a job as a new license holder?

I'd say between 2-3K mate.

Do you already have your class 2?

Last edited:
It can be free as some companies like ASDA will pay to train you up. I'd expect to pay 4 figures for a Class 1. It's like the Srikers forum.

No idea but I do know that some are called ‘trampers’ after seeing it on a documentary an that

Those are the lads that go away for the week and live in their unit.
It can be free as some companies like ASDA will pay to train you up. I'd expect to pay 4 figures for a Class 1. It's like the Srikers forum.

I'm sure they'll only do that for current employees, and then you'll be tied down to them for +3 years.

Best place for advice
could be on

Last edited:
i'm not sure of the actual price as most don't seem to advertise the cost but when i did mine many moons ago it was well over a grand for both (the rigid and artic) licences. you'll need a medical also.
as a new pass there are firms that take new drivers on and the agencies but be prepared to do some crap work whilst getting some experience. might be different now but i started at the co op at birtley who would take on new drivers. not sure if they still do mind. it was a steep learning curve of how to reverse as a lot of their shops were built for horse and carts and some were quite daunting for a new driver.
there is good money to be made but you normally get that by putting in long hours and perhaps sleeping in the cab which is not for me although some love it.
the supermarkets usually have pretty good terms and working conditions.
the fuel tankers are on decent money but they are micro managed and work sackless shift patterns. i was offered a job on the aviation fuel side but the money versus home life didn't appeal.
imo the best work is for small family firms or own account drivers where the stuff you are transporting is made by the firm you work for.

lastly, i think it's one of the easiest ways to make a living. your job is to take things from a-b. whatever happens after that is up to others.

good luck.

Around 2k is normally the going rate, if you fail it, either once or twice, don't you have to wait a bit of time before you ca n do it again?

You'd get more than 20k but expect 10-12hr a day shifts.

I'd say between 2-3K mate.

Do you already have your class 2?

no I just have a normal car licence and passed in 1999 so I can’t even drive a 7.5t.
Around 2k is normally the going rate, if you fail it, either once or twice, don't you have to wait a bit of time before you ca n do it again?
See that sounds more realistic.

Last edited:
Sunderland LGV driver training advertises all his prices on his website and has an excellent pass rate. His unit is a test centre as well, so the examiners come to you (they have approx 3 test routes in Sunderland, they’ll take you out on all 3 of them so that on the day, you’ll know what to expect)

You’ll need to pay for your C before doing your C+E

no I just have a normal car licence and passed in 1999 so I can’t even drive a 7.5t.

See that sounds more realistic.

You will need to do your class 2 before you can attempt your class 1 mate.
i'm not sure of the actual price as most don't seem to advertise the cost but when i did mine many moons ago it was well over a grand for both (the rigid and artic) licences. you'll need a medical also.
as a new pass there are firms that take new drivers on and the agencies but be prepared to do some crap work whilst getting some experience. might be different now but i started at the co op at birtley who would take on new drivers. not sure if they still do mind. it was a steep learning curve of how to reverse as a lot of their shops were built for horse and carts and some were quite daunting for a new driver.
there is good money to be made but you normally get that by putting in long hours and perhaps sleeping in the cab which is not for me although some love it.
the supermarkets usually have pretty good terms and working conditions.
the fuel tankers are on decent money but they are micro managed and work sackless shift patterns. i was offered a job on the aviation fuel side but the money versus home life didn't appeal.
imo the best work is for small family firms or own account drivers where the stuff you are transporting is made by the firm you work for.

lastly, i think it's one of the easiest ways to make a living. your job is to take things from a-b. whatever happens after that is up to others.

good luck.

The easiest job out there is doing trunk work on nights.

I worked for a family run firm and most of their local lads were doing 12hr shifts. The trampers were always going to their max daily hours.

I suppose it all depends on what the OP wants out of it.

Last edited:
You will need to do your class 2 before you can attempt your class 1 mate.

The easiest job out there is doing trunk work on nights.

I worked for a family run firm and most of their local lads were doing 12hr shifts. The trampers were always going to their max daily hours.

I suppose it all depends on what the OP wants out of it.
that's the thing. there's all types of the job for all types of people. some prefer to be away, some like multidrop, some like trunking. it's all out there.
i fall into the lazy category so the tankers are for me, just chuck a hose on the back and put your feet up for however long it takes to tip/load :)

I used Twinway through durham for a weeks course (4hr daily sessions) with test on the Friday. Darlington have better routes to do ya test than through Newcastle for me. Best of luck

Cheers chaps(and chapettes), from links people have posted it looks like around £2k+ by the time I factor in cat c, medical, theory etc etc.

If you have a family and like them, don't do it. I'm stuck doing now. Money looks good BUT you do alot of hours. There's a few places in the northeast that do pay good money for decent hours like greggs and the co-op but getting a job at greggs is rare as hens teeth and the co-op is hard graft for the money.

For your average general haulage job the pay is anywhere from £9-12ph then you'd expect to be away 4-5 nights per week and do anywhere upto 73hours.

Most companies won't pay for parking unless you have a high value load so it's either laybys or industrial estates. (Great fun waking up during the night busting for a shite)

I couldn't tell you how much it is to pass your test as the army paid for mine but if you have any questions about the job just send me a message 👍🏻

Back