Hexham the happiest place to live

Lived there as a kid it was ok for playing in the countryside in the days when 7-8 year olds could wander off for hours on their own. Went to Sele infants until they opened the new school at the end of the street we lived on. Just looked and it is still the same as I remember it. The playground outside the school where I was hit on the chin by a swing is still there. So are the stitch marks 60 years later.

Lived there as a kid it was ok for playing in the countryside in the days when 7-8 year olds could wander off for hours on their own. Went to Sele infants until they opened the new school at the end of the street we lived on. Just looked and it is still the same as I remember it. The playground outside the school where I was hit on the chin by a swing is still there. So are the stitch marks 60 years later.
Was the big slide in the Sele play park when you were there?

Was the big slide in the Sele play park when you were there?
I remember that, was pretty lethal that thing
I went to the Sele, Hexham middle then QEHS. Like you I enjoyed my early teen and pre teen years but I remember being desperate to get away by the time I was 16/17.
Think most people probably feel that way about the town they grew up in though . .

Last edited:
I live up here. Great place to live.
Can be in Newcastle in under half an hour, great countryside, nice pubs, nice community, plenty of activities/facilities for the kids, more Sunderland fans than you would think, park/abbey/Queens Hall are lovely.
Like most market towns it's declined over the years. The shops are pathetic and as a night out if you are young it's slim pickings.
These surveys are generally bollocks, but I'm happy here.

I remember that, was pretty lethal that thing

I went to the Sele, Hexham middle then QEHS. Like you I enjoyed my early teen and pre teen years but I remember being desperate to get away by the time I was 16/17.
Think most people probably feel that way about the town they grew up in though . .
When I was there, there were three middle schools. Fellside, Beaumont and St Joseph’s. I think they combined Fellside and Beaumont for the middle school. Me Mam says they are now being knocked down and a new middle school is being built at QEHS. That’s going to make it fun for the locals.

On a side note, my Mam moved to Hexham in 2019 after my Dad died. I helped her sort things out and popped out for a pint in the evening. I went to the Fox for the first time in 35 years. I’d been in there a few times, about 20, but this was the first legal pint I had in there. Back in the 80s the locals of the Fox were 6th formers from QEHS and the Police from the station next door.

Back