Hernia

harmy

Striker
How long before fully healed to start squats again after op. ?

Was all set for op last night but was cancelled at last minute. Signed off on the sick. Told to do no lifting until after op then recovery which should be 6-8 weeks.
Will that be enough time to fully heal to return to the gym?

I would have thought that was far too early. I would see a proper physio who understands the strain of what you are doing in the gym. Doctors sometimes treat everyone like the "average person". The average person sits at a desk, goes on the occasional jog, and occasionally fannies around with some dumbells.

If you are squatting more than your own bodyweight, then that's a different kettle of fish and you should be a lot more careful. Hernias are awful things to fuck about with.

6-8 weeks is hernia recovering time. I haven't asked when I could return to gym yet.

If you are a serious gym goer then you should definitely sort yourself out with a proper physio then. There will be some exercises that you can probably start with sooner than others, and they can guide you through them whereas the doctor will only be able to give you general information.

What the others have said. If you pop your hernia again, it’s a horrendous op to have repeated. Plus your abdominal wall will weaken with repeated surgery, my brother has had 3 in the same place and now his stomach is just coming apart

Cheers mate. I should be back to work in 8 weeks. At least 12 weeks before I hit the gym again and got to start light and work my way back up. Had op last Tuesday. A lot worse the recovery than I expected. Will take time so I'm just chilling as the surgeon suggested.

Back