Help with Student Loan Company

Aye but if you're not paying anything off the interest is just building up. If you have intentions or there s possibility of moving back then pay it.

I paid nowt for 6 years and the interest accrued (which is way more than you might think) just about wiped out what I'd been paying for the few years prior.

Understood, they can make you pay if you return. They can only make you pay if you are domicile in the UK, have your wages paid in the UK or the UK has agreements with another country where you are domicile.

But what happens if the 25 years period is passed when you return?

Stop moaning Rohingya boy.

:lol:

In relation to this, if your parents said they didn't know where you were, what could the Student Loan Company do? There's no way they could get at you in Myanmar if your wages aren't being paid in the UK or into a UK bank account.

The supposed trick of the student loan company giving up on you if you're out of the UK for five years was a load of bollocks and you still have to pay. However, if they don't know where you are after a given period and the UK is not your domicile then they can't recover the money.

Why Myanmar? There's some very nice places to visit (Bagan, Mandalay, etc.) as a tourist having been there myself, but what work opportunities are there? After a few weeks there, the mosquitoes and jungle should be enough to drive anyone out..
I live in Mandalay. It's horrible. Dull and noisy. It's a long story but I was quite excited to come here. Needless to say, job and country are massively disappointing.

Understood, they can make you pay if you return. They can only make you pay if you are domicile in the UK, have your wages paid in the UK or the UK has agreements with another country where you are domicile.

Bugger all I'm sure. The majority who go abroad return well within that time period.

There are loads upon loads of daft young 'uns go to Australia on a working holiday visa saying they are not going to pay and won't return to the UK (as they call it a shithole too). But then realise that they don't actually have the required skills to remain in Aus.

Bugger all I'm sure. The majority who go abroad return well within that time period.

There are loads upon loads of daft young 'uns go to Australia on a working holiday visa saying they are not going to pay and won't return to the UK (as they call it a shithole too). But then realise that they don't actually have the required skills to remain in Aus.

I do know the Aussies will look at highly skilled STEM subject people and skilled trades like welding, etc. will also be high up the list.

Young'uns are indeed naive in this respect.

There's a lad gone out there with a law degree. He's bumming around in casual bar jobs but can't progress until he has undergone a conversion process allowing him to practice Austrailian law. He wants to stay out there, but money is going to be a factor as regards any conversion or extra study he wants to do. It's more complicated than he expected.

I live in Mandalay. It's horrible. Dull and noisy. It's a long story but I was quite excited to come here. Needless to say, job and country are massively disappointing.

Oh dear. A few days in Mandalay and I was ready to move on.

Once you've done the tourist stuff there, Mandalay does not have much to offer. Transport links aren't the best, so using it as a base for weekend trips is not too much of an option. It takes a flight for example to get up to Lake Inle and Bagan is just a little too far for a day trip.

My overall feelings of Myanmar were once you seen the first few Pagodas, you've seen them all and living there is something I would not want to entertain. The main ex-pat communities in Myanmay will be in Yangon so it could end up a little lonely too unless you're polyglot-quick learning Burmese.

i thought nobody ever repaid student loans ?
You do at increasing levels as your wages increase beyond £21,000 per annum wages and it becomes quite noticeable beyond to upper £20K level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Young'uns are indeed naive in this respect.

There's a lad gone out there with a law degree. He's bumming around in casual bar jobs but can't progress until he has undergone a conversion process allowing him to practice Austrailian law. He wants to stay out there, but money is going to be a factor as regards any conversion or extra study he wants to do. It's more complicated than he expected.
He'll likely need to be sponsored too and change his visa from working visa to sponsored visa.

If no employment details are provided, the default payment amount is allocated. The payments missed would mean the account goes into arrears and then refered to a debt collection agency and ccj's obtained. If a ccj is applied for every 6 years it would mean the write off date would be null because terms and conditions have been broken by the borrower.

He'll likely need to be sponsored too and change his visa from working visa to sponsored visa.

I remember him saying that. I can't remember the full conversation, but I believe moving over to a sponsored via was his then problem issue.

The newest scheme means you pay next to nowt back on £30k

Better, but until at least STEM students are free of tuition fees, University education costs will still be a deterrent to the poorest families.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better, but until at least STEM students are free of tuition fees, University education costs will still be a deterrent to the poorest families.
It wouldn't put me off personally, maybe they should explain it better in schools.

If no employment details are provided, the default payment amount is allocated. The payments missed would mean the account goes into arrears and then refered to a debt collection agency and ccj's obtained. If a ccj is applied for every 6 years it would mean the write off date would be null because terms and conditions have been broken by the borrower.

CCJ's arent obtained against every debt though. It's a costly process and depends on a number of factors.

just decided to log onto mine and somehow HMRC have paid more than was coming off my pay, and yet i still paid less than the amount of interest that was whacked on top :lol:

It wouldn't put me off personally, maybe they should explain it better in schools.
I just think it morally wrong a country won't invest in its own future and the future of its brightest and best.

Your average STEM graduate is going to more than pay back the University fees in taxes gross national product earnings anyway.

I just think it morally wrong a country won't invest in its own future and the future of its brightest and best.

Your average STEM graduate is going to more than pay back the University fees in taxes gross national product earnings anyway.

I agree with that to be honest, but the current system is fair enough for most degrees imo.

Upping this thread instead of creating a new one. Has anyone logged into their account recently? When I do, instead of seeing my balance I get the 'service unavailable, try again later' message.

Back