Help with Student Loan Company

My folks received a letter for me from them back at home asking me to provide my employment details now. I am attempting to do this but every time I attempt to upload evidence of my contract the form submission fails. I have searched high and wide for an alternative contact address such as an email address to which I can send the required documents but, of course, they try their hardest to make contacting them difficult apart from via phone. Anyone know how I can go about getting them what they need before I have to bite the bullet and phone the bastards? I obviously don't want to wait about too much on this front as I've heard they're a real bastard of a company to deal with if they feel you've tried to fuck them over.
Is there no address in the letter you received?

Always have, yes. However, I only had two weeks to get myself sorted before moving over here which was a mad dash and informing this lot slipped my mind until my folks told me about this letter. And last time I lived outside of the UK I don't think I had to pay my loan back? Not sure if that has changed in the ten years or so in between?

I'm in f***ing Myanmar. :cry:

Burma - man , BURMA !! :D

My stand against the ridiculous changing of country and cities names.

Peking, Kolkata, Mumbai - my arse !!!

Had to phone them once 20 years ago, couldn't understand a word the person was saying it was a proper rough local glasgow accent. It was like trying to speak to rab c nesbit after he had 15 pints.

Doesn't help ya at all like.

Paid mine off recently. Overpaid them and it took over a year to get back the over payments. This info doesn’t help you I know but they are useless.
Same issue here. SLC + my employer being utter twats and continuing to take payments for a whole year after it was paid off (totally their fault)

I'm still owed about £600

The only way I got any traction with SLC was this email address:
[email protected]

They are supposed to put a stop on mine after April. I probably shouldn't trust them on that should I?
Because that's when it'll be paid off then? In which case, yes, don't trust them.

Change to "pay it myself" rather than PAYE. Then you can't overpay.

My folks received a letter for me from them back at home asking me to provide my employment details now. I am attempting to do this but every time I attempt to upload evidence of my contract the form submission fails. I have searched high and wide for an alternative contact address such as an email address to which I can send the required documents but, of course, they try their hardest to make contacting them difficult apart from via phone. Anyone know how I can go about getting them what they need before I have to bite the bullet and phone the bastards? I obviously don't want to wait about too much on this front as I've heard they're a real bastard of a company to deal with if they feel you've tried to fuck them over.
Can you link to the webpage on here so we can have a look?

Might be of use to you:

Postal Address for Evidence.
All evidence should be sent to the following address unless otherwise stated. Always include your Customer Reference Number:

Student Loans Company
100 Bothwell Street
Glasgow
G2 7JD.

Last edited:
Because that's when it'll be paid off then? In which case, yes, don't trust them.

Yeah I rang them back in October/November and we estimated I should have it paid off by then. They said they were putting a stop on it from April. I will ring after my march pay and check it.

Evidence to Send Us?
This section provides you with information on what evidence you can send us to:

• prove how you financially support yourself;
  • have your loan cancelled; and
  • get a refund.
All evidence should be sent to the following address unless otherwise stated. Always include your Customer Reference Number:

Student Loans Company
100 Bothwell Street
Glasgow
G2 7JD.

Yeah I rang them back in October/November and we estimated I should have it paid off by then. They said they were putting a stop on it from April. I will ring after my march pay and check it.
That's half the battle. The other part is getting your employer to find the f***ing STOP notice. Took mine 6+ months. Useless twats.

This. In fairness they did tell me to do this but I couldn’t be arsed. Still didn’t expect it to take a year to get money back like

Stay there and tell them to f*** off.

In relation to this, if your parents said they didn't know where you were, what could the Student Loan Company do? There's no way they could get at you in Myanmar if your wages aren't being paid in the UK or into a UK bank account.

The supposed trick of the student loan company giving up on you if you're out of the UK for five years was a load of bollocks and you still have to pay. However, if they don't know where you are after a given period and the UK is not your domicile then they can't recover the money.

Why Myanmar? There's some very nice places to visit (Bagan, Mandalay, etc.) as a tourist having been there myself, but what work opportunities are there? After a few weeks there, the mosquitoes and jungle should be enough to drive anyone out..

In relation to this, if your parents said they didn't know where you were, what could the Student Loan Company do? There's no way they could get at you in Myanmar if your wages aren't being paid in the UK or into a UK bank account.

The supposed trick of the student loan company giving up on you if you're out of the UK for five years was a load of bollocks and you still have to pay. However, if they don't know where you are after a given period and the UK is not your domicile then they can't recover the money.

Why Myanmar? There's some very nice places to visit (Bagan, Mandalay, etc.) as a tourist having been there myself, but what work opportunities are there? After a few weeks there, the mosquitoes and jungle should be enough to drive anyone out..
Aye but if you're not paying anything off the interest is just building up. If you have intentions or there s possibility of moving back then pay it.

I paid nowt for 6 years and the interest accrued (which is way more than you might think) just about wiped out what I'd been paying for the few years prior.

Back