Help with New Car Technology

T-34 were reliable and based on relatively simple technology - they could be mass produced.

Tiger 2 tanks were advanced mean machines but were more difficult to maintain, iirc only about 500 were built.

The Tiger tanks were also massive and once they got stuck they remained stuck until the Russkis blew them to smithereens. They also couldn't get parts and they were hugely thirsty.

The Russkis literally packed up the T-34 factory and rebuilt it all half a continent away and then came back with huge tank force.

The Battle of Kursk saw them put to good effect and effectively turned the course of the war in the east.

The Nazi's were never in the ascendancy after that and because of the propaganda before the defeat, many Germans started to see them for what they were.

Last edited:
Had to drive from Basel airport to Freiburg for work and the office booked an automatic Golf sized car with Sixt - cost 60€ for the 2 days I needed it . At the airport Sixt gave me a set of keys with a Mercedes logo and in the assigned bay was a brand new Mercedes S350 . Could i feck drive it - it was huge (I drive a 1l Focus :) . Couldnt find anything , sat nav would not / couldnt understand me so had to use google maps on me phone etc etc. Never been so glad to give a car back

i'm hankering back to older simpler stuff. i prefer going out on the old bike that rattles bangs and clatters but can be fettled using an adjustable and a few tie wraps. i don't really care much for cars but it's the same where most of all this technology is a waste of time and you need a machine to plug in to tell you what's wrong. nine times out of ten it's a faulty sensor.
my next car's going to be something that i'm going to have to decoke every year.

i'm hankering back to older simpler stuff. i prefer going out on the old bike that rattles bangs and clatters but can be fettled using an adjustable and a few tie wraps. i don't really care much for cars but it's the same where most of all this technology is a waste of time and you need a machine to plug in to tell you what's wrong. nine times out of ten it's a faulty sensor.
my next car's going to be something that i'm going to have to decoke every year.

My Golf is full of pointless gadgets.

However, it also has the amazing adaptive cruise control which will brake to a standstill and then resume on its own.

Scares the shit out of passengers when you're deep in conversation with them and the car suddenly drives off without me doing anything.

Bloody pointless some of the technology now. Hired a new Golf a couple of years back could not start the thing. Had to go back to the desk and ask. Why on earth do you now have to press down on one of the pedals to turn the engine on? A few days later I am in a petrol station and had to find a youtube video to learn how to open the filler cap.

The only saving grace is that it didnt have stop start!

I went from a car that didn’t have air con to a car that has more buttons than the f***ing space station.

The handbrake is in the stupidest place in the world, below and to the right of the steering wheel. Why?! I just put it into park instead of using the handbrake.

I havent got a hand break, or any fiddly nobs, much better that way IMO! Hate clutter.

When I was a lad I once had a car that had a handbrake but actually it didn't have a handbrake
Also I had a car for a few months that had nee reverse gear. It's amazing what you can do without. Minimalism should be the way forward. Zen & all that.

Last edited:

Back