Help with New Car Technology

I spent the first day or so manually taking it off when I pulled away.

I was keep doing that but someone told me to just drive, if you don't know you don't know.
One car had park assist I only noticed a couple of weeks before I took it back, had a go in the street and probably did something wrong as it was reversing into a tree. :lol:

I had to move someone's car today. It was a brand new Lexus.
Please take into account I drive an old banger.
So I got the "keys", but I was told just had to put the black round thing next to a button.
... but that's ok so far.....
It was a hybrid as well so I was confused as there was no engine noise when the engine switched on.
It was all button pressing and fannying around.
There was no hand brake.
Eventually someone helped me to work it out I I managed to drive the car about 50 yard.
I parked it up but I left it unlocked as I could not work out how to lock it, I saw a load of messages flashing up on the dash.
I admit I'm not very good with technology but jesus I felt so inadequate.

Has anyone else suffered a similar situation with not being able to understand the new controls???

Did you turn it off? If the engine is still running it won't lock. I forgot to turn off my toyota a few times and popped into the shops, to find it was unlocked and running when I returned!

Did you turn it off? If the engine is still running it won't lock. I forgot to turn off my toyota a few times and popped into the shops, to find it was unlocked and running when I returned!

Just reminded me, I dropped the Mrs off at work, the car was keyless entry/ignition.
I drove to my dads stopped the car, went to lock it and it wouldn't shut, the keys were in the wifes bag.
Normally if she pulled the car off the drive she'd drop them into the cup holder, not this time. :lol:

My cars 9 years old, got cruise control (never used) electronic handbrake and a few other gadgets. Don't see the point of the handbrake at all, are people really that lazy they can't just pull a lever up when they stop? Main problem is when it goes wrong though, new one is over a grand, even the brake switch is about £40, on a car without, all that goes wrong is a £10 cable snaps. Costs a fortune to diagnose and fix anything these days.
Had a courtesy car the other day though and forgot to use the handbrake a few times, including once having to jump in the car as it started to roll down the street :D

Impossible to fix anything these days yourself, everything needs to go on a diag kit, I ended up buying the Peugeot/Citroen stuff for £100ish just to save having to pay everytime something was done.

Main dealer wanted £780 to fix an oil leak the other day, which they said was pissing out all over, despite it being there the 3 years I've had the car, and not having to top up once, took it to a local garage, £55 inc the gasket.

I've got a Merc with no hand brake lever and 4 pedals, took me ages to get used to that.

Also I've realised that auto lights, auto wipers and auto door locks also catch me out when I drive someone elses car.

I once watched a colleague pull over and jump out of a pool car Renault Megan’s as she thought it was on fire. She had nevertheless encountered heated seats before

I needed to look in the manual first time I washed the car because I couldn’t work out how to lift the wipers up! :lol:
turns out I had to switch the engine on then immediately back off while holding down the wiper controls. What a faff on!!!

modern technology eh? :rolleyes:

Does it let you do Scandinavian flicks Into the car park at work though?
Don’t know what they are.

I did manage to get all 4 wheels off the ground in the lakes last week tho.

Last night I picked my daughter up and she was thirsty, waited til she was taking a drink then did a blast off. Coke in her eyes, up her nose, everywhere, she went f***ing mental!

A few months ago I swapped my 15yr-old merc for a 4yr-old volvo. Driving it is a breeze but all the other stuff remains a daily challenge. This is me most f***ing days

I went from a car that didn’t have air con to a car that has more buttons than the f***ing space station.

The handbrake is in the stupidest place in the world, below and to the right of the steering wheel. Why?! I just put it into park instead of using the handbrake.

I had to move someone's car today. It was a brand new Lexus.
Please take into account I drive an old banger.
So I got the "keys", but I was told just had to put the black round thing next to a button.
... but that's ok so far.....
It was a hybrid as well so I was confused as there was no engine noise when the engine switched on.
It was all button pressing and fannying around.
There was no hand brake.
Eventually someone helped me to work it out I I managed to drive the car about 50 yard.
I parked it up but I left it unlocked as I could not work out how to lock it, I saw a load of messages flashing up on the dash.
I admit I'm not very good with technology but jesus I felt so inadequate.

Has anyone else suffered a similar situation with not being able to understand the new controls???

I bought a 61 plate E350 from Pulman VW - it had been the Finance Directors car.

Neither the salesman or I could figure out how to drive off, it literally took about 10mins.

Once you got used to the foot operated parking brake and the steering column shift lever it was a doddle.

AND ANOTHER THING!! I bet it costs a fortune to fix these modern gadgets when they go wrong (I expect the owner of the car I moved will be having to take the Lexus to to the main dealer in the next few days to sort out mystery faults).
Doubt it will be back to the dealer anytime soon - Lexus faults are few and far between

Back