Help with New Car Technology

AND ANOTHER THING!! I bet it costs a fortune to fix these modern gadgets when they go wrong (I expect the owner of the car I moved will be having to take the Lexus to to the main dealer in the next few days to sort out mystery faults).

AND ANOTHER THING!! I bet it costs a fortune to fix these modern gadgets when they go wrong (I expect the owner of the car I moved will be having to take the Lexus to to the main dealer in the next few days to sort out mystery faults).
Only absolute idiots go to main dealers for things. My car needed a new aperture door seal the one that goes all the way round the door frame as it was split. Didn't really need it but I felt it should be done. Any way I had to order it from jaguar for 70 quid but they wanted 135 quid an hour to fit it and the bloke reckoned between 1 and 2 hours so I'd have to pay 270 quid. Fuck that I got the rubber and had my local garage do it for 35 quid. Main dealers are robbing bastards.

Last edited:
No, but I am a bit of a techy anyway. But to be honest thing kind of thing is exactly why I have repeatedly said people should be retested every so often. There is no hiding the fact that cars have changed over the years as have the roads. I passed 15 years ago, I learnt in a little Clio that's only tech was electric windows, now I drive an XC60 with cruise control, speed limiter, built in sat nav, etc etc on roads like motorways that I was not allowed to drive on and smart motorways that didn't exist.
So you now drive a shitbox?

I remember my boss asking me to move his Auto Volvo back in about 2005.
I drove a shitty Primera at the time.

I honestly couldn't work out how the fuck to even move it
Some of the tech like auto handbrake and adaptive cruise control is class. But as another poster said, at least 50% of the tech is pointless and you use it about twice before it becomes a pain or not relevant at all. Actually I’d say even the adaptive cruise control I hardly use anymore.
Adaptive Cruise is the one thing I won't buy another car without
And an auto box, so the adaptive cruise works properly

Thanks for all the comments, glad to hear I'm not the only one to struggle. We're not all Jeremy Clarksons.
The height of chic and sophistication in the 70s was reclining seats.
Not the slight , ergonomic tilty thing of today. Needless to say my Ford Cortina had them - fell almost flat to the back seat creating a wonderful bonking arena.
The only protrusion was the gear stick and one was liable for surprise , yet mildly titilating,rectal intrusions as you thrashed around on a cold winters night , safe in your steamed up hotbed of disco driven lust.
Car bonnets are still flat though (although I've heard some lasses enjoy the extra tittilation of a bonnet ornament...hence the name "Spirit of Ecstasy" on a Rolla.
I have repeatedly said people should be retested every so often. There is no hiding the fact that cars have changed over the years as have the roads. I passed 15 years ago.
I passed in 1972... back then a bloke used to walk in front of every car waving a red flag.

The biggest change with cars that has thrown me over recent years, is the auto engine cut out.

Took me ages to get used to it. Thinking I’d stalled, when I stopped at the lights etc.

Combine that with the electric handbrake when stopping on a bank. It took a while to get used to.

It is worse when it's your job.

My first job with an agency working within the Nissan 'empire' was as a driver for NDS. Nissan Distribution Services. Every time was a different make and model and sometimes I would be going from a Nissan to a Dacia. Then there was the NV200 and eNV200 vans. I had to drive both. And even when I got two models in a row that were the same the transmission would then have been different. I wouid be going from a manual to an auto. Or key ignition to the push start ignition. Where you depress the clutch and press 'start'. No two makes/models, transmissions and ignition types were ever the same.
I passed in 1972....

RIP @gluepot.

Last edited:
Yeah I felt like a "car jockey" yesterday, they must get confused and stuck at times. I do remember in somewhere I used to work, there was a story that one of the car park jockeys had pranged a ferrari... pretty sure it was true.

Noo!! Who on Earth would be daft enough to prang a car!! Shocking! 😂 😂

Actually when I was trying to drive it and I couldn't work out how to take off the handbrake off, the car refused to move, I was blocking the road, so the MILF in a X5 got out and drove for me... but even she struggled. Talk about embarrassing. She had to google how to take the handbrake off, I didnt have my phone with me at the time or I might have tried that.
Totally over engineered. My Harley has no key . I'd imagine the car locks itself as you move away .It must have a fob of Some kind? My bells and whistles insignia does my head in
Didn't ask for or want all the tech .
Told me " attempted theft " yesterday. It hasn't been touched.
I remember hiring a Renault when the electric handbrake first appeared . 4 of us sitting trying to drive away

I borrowed a merc the other day and couldn’t work the handbrake or start it
I got in one of the new tiguans and it didn't have one....

Had to Google it whilst sat in it before I pulled away. It had a button... with 2 modes. Auto on or press to engage.

Strange times we live in :)
The biggest change with cars that has thrown me over recent years, is the auto engine cut out.

Took me ages to get used to it. Thinking I’d stalled, when I stopped at the lights etc.

Combine that with the electric handbrake when stopping on a bank. It took a while to get used to.
You can turn that off though on most models aye?

Last edited:
Noo!! Who on Earth would be daft enough to prang a car!! Shocking! 😂 😂
Its all coming back to me, it was a while ago, the jockey told me he scraped the ferrari on the wall - it was an underground car park. He said quite a few car owners had accused him of scratching their cars (over a period of time, not every day :)) so they had to get more cameras installed.

Thats the problem, might be good when they work but if they go wrong its often dealer to stick it on the computer.

working on my own cars used to be fun, now its almost impossible

Thats the problem, might be good when they work but if they go wrong its often dealer to stick it on the computer.

working on my own cars used to be fun, now its almost impossible
Yeah exactly - I used to change points and plugs, oil etc, now its a new energy management system for £950 (thats if youre lucky)

Not to mention the difficulty in trying to get the voice controlled options to understand a North East accent. Cause of more road rage that any other road user.

Back