Heathrow crosswind landings

Always wondered about these streams, are they set up for morbid people waiting for a crash to happen?

I think in this case the bloke is in the Premier Inn waiting for a glimpse of BA's A350. Earlier he had a great view of the landings, but now that runway is being used for takeoffs. He's still live-streaming. He really should turn the sound off. When he goes to the bog, you can hear him.

(I haven't been watching all this time. It's on in the background while I'm working.)

I think in this case the bloke is in the Premier Inn waiting for a glimpse of BA's A350. Earlier he had a great view of the landings, but now that runway is being used for takeoffs. He's still live-streaming. He really should turn the sound off. When he goes to the bog, you can hear him.

(I haven't been watching all this time. It's on in the background while I'm working.)

Pretty sure I've seen something on social media like this, Big Jet TV I think its called.

Approached Newcastle once in a strong crosswind. Warned the little one it would be bumpy. Plane was swinging about all over the place then hit the ground with such a bang and all the doors on the overhead bins flew open. Some people screamed. The bairn looked at me with wide eyes and said "that was mint! I wish we could always land like that" :eek: :lol:
Had a firm landing in Berlin. (not a euphemism) When we hit the tarmac hard enough that the cockpit door flew open and I got to watch the pilots do their thing as we taxied to the gate. Since the cabin crew were facing the us, neither they nor the pilots knew until we got to the gate. It was really cool but I'd rather have had a smooth landing as I'm not a huge fan of flying.

I live on the end of Leeds Bradford and it's common for planes to come in sideways.
During the week, military aircraft practise touch and go landings.

Had a firm landing in Berlin. (not a euphemism) When we hit the tarmac hard enough that the cockpit door flew open and I got to watch the pilots do their thing as we taxied to the gate. Since the cabin crew were facing the us, neither they nor the pilots knew until we got to the gate. It was really cool but I'd rather have had a smooth landing as I'm not a huge fan of flying.
I read somewhere that on wet runways they land harder-no idea if true

Live at the moment, for those interested in this kind of thing. Flightradar24 will show you which flights are approaching.

You never experienced proper fear until you've landed at George Best Airport (formerly known as The Harbour Airport)

White knuckles aaaalrund
Amazing skills from the pilots, though I wouldn't have wanted to be aboard the Aeroflot A330 that touched down a few mins ago. The landing gear took quite an impact on that one.

Apparently this is just a foretaste. The worst of the wind will be from 4pm this afternoon.

They 'crab' the plane deliberately as this aids stability

Last edited:
You never experienced proper fear until you've landed at George Best Airport (formerly known as The Harbour Airport)

White knuckles aaaalrund

Worst for me by a mile was Dutch Harbor in the Aleutian Islands off Alaska. Next worst, Wellington in NZ.
They 'crab' the plane deliberately as this aids stability

No crabbing with yesterday's Aeroflot. The pilot just slammed it onto the runway and hoped it would stick.

Mind, there's been some heavy landings this morning. The Emirates A380 a couple of minutes ago left a fair amount of rubber on the runway.

Last edited:

Back