Heart disease - Stents

I had a hearty six years ago and had a stent fitted. It hurt a canny bit, but not as bad as a good dose of gout.
Worst thing about it was, I woke up in hospital in Sunderland and I’m black and white :)

Not sure if it's the same, then. They said he was quite lucky to survive, mind, and that they'd earned their crust working on him that night, the glorious bastards.

You're probably right according to this...

The left main coronary artery divides into two branches called the left anterior descending (LAD) artery and the left circumflex artery.

It does splay out in several directions afterwards.

Was very strange for me. One day I'm taking people into and from the catheter unit and the next I'm in a bed in it surrounded by faces I normally work alongside.

Last edited:
I'm on my second heart attack. The first one i didn't even know I'd had. Three stents. After the op i just wanted to run up and down the stairs. 10 years later and four more stents, i can't run the length of mesell. The best of it was though, the second time, and we still laugh. The 'first responder' tried to run through our caravan door with her git big fuck off bag on her back, and got wedged half way. She looked in after the op and told me i laughed myself back to life while our lass was trying to free her. 😁

Not sure if it's the same, then. They said he was quite lucky to survive, mind, and that they'd earned their crust working on him that night, the glorious bastards.
Whilst LAD is the real killer, if the blockage is at a junction I think it's trickier to fit stents, so I imagine they had a right clart on (think that's the medical term :lol: ) trying to fit them.
Mine were in relatively straight bits so I was in and out in 90 minutes.

Whilst LAD is the real killer, if the blockage is at a junction I think it's trickier to fit stents, so I imagine they had a right clart on (think that's the medical term :lol: ) trying to fit them.
Mine were in relatively straight bits so I was in and out in 90 minutes.
I was in about an hour to fit one stent and the worst bit of the procedure was that they couldn't access the artery through my arm and I felt the tube jam in my forearm a couple of times. After that they went through my groin which made the recovery more difficult.

I was in about an hour to fit one stent and the worst bit of the procedure was that they couldn't access the artery through my arm and I felt the tube jam in my forearm a couple of times. After that they went through my groin which made the recovery more difficult.
They went in through my arm both times but last week it seemed to get stuck a bit so he had a couple goes at it.

Absolutely nowt to worry about. I didn't even have to change into a gown or anything, just in jeans and t shirt. They explain everything really well and some things that are a little odd like the x ray machine almost touching your face are expected so you don't worry about it.
They give you a cuppa and a sarnie straight afterwards as well.
Tell her to nip to the toilet beforehand though. ;)
It makes me feel so sad to see this thread pop up again as I remember posting a couple of things about my Mum. She went in and had the operation after being very close to not making it and then it was touch and go whether she`d be able to physically handle the procedure due to her hip problems and whether she could lie still for the length of time needed. She got through it and got a pacemaker and the docs were very happy as we were. We felt it was a new lease of life for her. She got home just before Christmas 2019 and was at home for her birthday on Christmas Day then on New Year`s Eve she went back into hospital with pneumonia. On 2nd January 2020 she had made really good progress and we were told she would be going home in a couple of days so I got her shopping list and prepared for her to come home. On 3rd she was back on oxygen so a step back, which had happened before thinking she`d take two steps forward the next day but the next morning she died. Apparently she caught a secondary infection in hospital, probably sepsis so she`d got over breast cancer a couple of years earlier, then her heart problems were sorted successfully, then it seemed she was over the pneumonia ready for home and then she was gone. It`s over a year ago and still hurts like hell and feels such a kick in the teeth that she went through all of that, fought hard and successfully without a word of complaint only for a secondary infection to get her. Sorry for the post, it just brought back a few memories :cry:

It makes me feel so sad to see this thread pop up again as I remember posting a couple of things about my Mum. She went in and had the operation after being very close to not making it and then it was touch and go whether she`d be able to physically handle the procedure due to her hip problems and whether she could lie still for the length of time needed. She got through it and got a pacemaker and the docs were very happy as we were. We felt it was a new lease of life for her. She got home just before Christmas 2019 and was at home for her birthday on Christmas Day then on New Year`s Eve she went back into hospital with pneumonia. On 2nd January 2020 she had made really good progress and we were told she would be going home in a couple of days so I got her shopping list and prepared for her to come home. On 3rd she was back on oxygen so a step back, which had happened before thinking she`d take two steps forward the next day but the next morning she died. Apparently she caught a secondary infection in hospital, probably sepsis so she`d got over breast cancer a couple of years earlier, then her heart problems were sorted successfully, then it seemed she was over the pneumonia ready for home and then she was gone. It`s over a year ago and still hurts like hell and feels such a kick in the teeth that she went through all of that, fought hard and successfully without a word of complaint only for a secondary infection to get her. Sorry for the post, it just brought back a few memories :cry:
Emote away dude, better out than in. Hospital infections are very common, and that's before Covid19. Trish Keenan from Broadcast died of pneumonia following swine-flu, aged 42. A friend of mine nearly died of pnuemonia from out of the blue aged about 50.

I know a bloke, fell runner, fit as a fiddle, had to have a stent years ago, still alive at 90.

We come into the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That's the way that lady luck dances

Last edited:
Emote away dude, better out than in. Hospital infections are very common, and that's before Covid19. Trish Keenan from Broadcast died of pneumonia following swine-flu, aged 42. A friend of mine nearly died of pnuemonia from out of the blue aged about 50.

I know a bloke, fell runner, fit as a fiddle, had to have a stent years ago, still alive at 90.

We come into the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That's the way that lady luck dances
aye true. I had a stent fitted 5 weeks ago.i was on my turbo trainer in the garage.
No big deal no pain.
But it was the widowmaker i had.i was laid in the ambulance waiting for the shit to hit the fan but nothing much happened .
But i was straight through the door and on the bed.
As others have said for a life saving procedure it seemed to go very quick

Back