Healthy Meals/Best Protein

Sunderland2022

Subs Bench
I am trying to get back into exercise after I stopped playing football last year and I’ve become very inactive and piled a stone in. I am attempting to get into a position where I can play Sunday league again but actually be pretty fit with it! The last couple of years or so playing I was just turning up once per week and doing no other exercise until the next week. If I am to play again I’d actually want to take it seriously.

I’ve joined the gym and been on a few runs in the last few weeks (only around 2km so far as I’ve found it hard going). In the past I’ve struggled with diet as I absolutely love food and I am a bit lazy during the week with work dinners and making tea after work. Can anyone recommend any healthy meal ideas for on a night and also easy meal preps for work dinners?

Also, can anyone recommend the best protein powder? Is optimum nutrition gold standard still the go to?

I am trying to get back into exercise after I stopped playing football last year and I’ve become very inactive and piled a stone in. I am attempting to get into a position where I can play Sunday league again but actually be pretty fit with it! The last couple of years or so playing I was just turning up once per week and doing no other exercise until the next week. If I am to play again I’d actually want to take it seriously.

I’ve joined the gym and been on a few runs in the last few weeks (only around 2km so far as I’ve found it hard going). In the past I’ve struggled with diet as I absolutely love food and I am a bit lazy during the week with work dinners and making tea after work. Can anyone recommend any healthy meal ideas for on a night and also easy meal preps for work dinners?

Also, can anyone recommend the best protein powder? Is optimum nutrition gold standard still the go to?

If you want to do meal prep then the best thing is to batch cook on a Sunday. However you do end up eating the same thing over and over again which can become very boring.

For the Protein powder, I would go for something you like the taste of that is on sale. Others may offer better advice because I don't use it that often. I would get low carb stuff if your ultimate goal is weight loss with muscle gain.

You can achieve good results with a healthy eating plan. It might help in the long run getting into good eating habits rather than a short term fix. Nuts, berries, fish, beans, chicken, fruit, veg etc. Sit with you family (if applicable) and work out what you all like and plan around that.

Skyr is your friend. Skyr with a sweet fruit will give you a lot of protein and hardly any fat or carbs (other than the fruit).

I'm almost finished with football, my knees have about gone and are swollen for a week at a time now after each game and in the past when my football has dried up, I have always gained weight. I might be posting a similar thread in 6 months or so.

also find other activities you like, because my knees are my problem, I have been going to a commando boxing class to do something else.

I couldn't believe the price of powder from MyProtein last time I looked (impact whey isolate). I ended up with the vegan one which was a load cheaper, but is a lot more 'powdery' and generally slightly more unpleasant IMO. However I tend to just neck it so doesn't make too much difference to be honest.

In terms of cooking, the Pinch of Nom site is decent for low cal recipes and includes macros breakdowns on the recipes. If you're on Instagram let me know as I follow a load of accounts that post recipes, but no point listing them if you dont use it.

Back