Headland, Hartlepool.

If your calling at Verrills or The Pot House pub, you can also check out the ANDY CAPP statue on York Pl. I'll have a walk around there myself next time I'm down Hartlepool for a match, I don't know when that will be though?
I always see the Andy Capp statue outside the Harbour (pot house).
Years ago I went there to see a band at a pub on the headland called "The Fish".

Pulled up outside and it looked like the last place on earth you might want to drink. Went in anyway and it was like a scene from a cowboy movie when we walked in. Everyone just stopped. Decided to "have one and leave".

5 minutes later stood at the bar, loads of crack with the locals and a superb night. Completly the opposite of what we expected.

Nah... its dead
The fish was always canny.
It changed hands and ended up hosting new bands and having real ale nights.
A small but friendly place.
Warren Road chippy, is top notch, these days.
They only use beef dripping, to fry their fish 'n' chips in. đź‘Ť
Are you on about the one that's turned into a pizza and kebab house, now?

Last edited:

In the summer we cycle there and back from home in Durham along the old rail paths. Was pleasantly surprised the first time we did it. Lovely cafe in an old church we like going in, pre COVID of course.
Also some lovely houses on the front big 3 storey Georgian

Every Town and City has some wrong uns but from my trips to Hartlepool couldn’t say a bad word against the place and people.
Used to love the pub on the Marina when it was owned by a Hartlepool fan. Blue and White Shirts and scarfs on the walls. 5 of us crammed into a car drove up early and walked into the pub.
The locals and Landlord were unbelievably friendly and made us welcome. Was one of my most memorable drinking sessions before a game with the locals. Just laughing and everyone getting on superbly, like a party.
Walked to the ground with them. Next time we went back it was owned by a restaurant chain, still decent but never the same.
Up the Pool.

Love the NE Coastline.

In the summer we cycle there and back from home in Durham along the old rail paths. Was pleasantly surprised the first time we did it. Lovely cafe in an old church we like going in, pre COVID of course.
Also some lovely houses on the front big 3 storey Georgian
That cafe is closed down now. Was called Rowntrees. There’s other great cafes along Northgate.

Yep. It's still decent enough and it is still limited in opening times.
The one further down northgate is canny as well. It didn't used to be too clever from what I remember, years ago but me and our lass got one about 2 years ago and it was nice.
Verrills do proper mushy peas and their curry's decent.
99% of the time I would get a half lot with scraps and a carton of mushy peas.
On my greedier days I'd add a carton of curry to that and a bun or a savoury patty to share with my wife. All washed down with a can of fanta or sunkist or sprite or coke, depending.

Oh, I do go on a bit. :)
Diet drinks I hope

I always see the Andy Capp statue outside the Harbour (pot house).

The fish was always canny.
It changed hands and ended up hosting new bands and having real ale nights.
A small but friendly place.

Are you on about the one that's turned into a pizza and kebab house, now?
I am.
They still knock out fantastic fish & chips, just like from the 1970's, with the beef dripping, though I dunno about the kebabs or pizza's, as I've not had one from there.

There’s a beauty for sale on right move right now. Fantastic views, it’s on South Crescent if you wanna look. Only problem with those houses is they have all back yards, not back gardens.
Is there anything of interest in that cemetery ? Never been in.
Wow, that's a beauty - bit out of our price range like.
Seen that house before , it's really nice and like you say , great views.

The Cemetery hasn't anything of 'specific' interest, just a lot of very old graves (obviously), and there's one close to the exit towards the beach thats from WW1 (not a military grave- a child i think).
I like it in there for photography, some great shots from differing angles etc.
There's also a Jewish area - at the end towards the new houses.

Yep. It's still decent enough and it is still limited in opening times.
The one further down northgate is canny as well. It didn't used to be too clever from what I remember, years ago but me and our lass got one about 2 years ago and it was nice.
Verrills do proper mushy peas and their curry's decent.
99% of the time I would get a half lot with scraps and a carton of mushy peas.
On my greedier days I'd add a carton of curry to that and a bun or a savoury patty to share with my wife. All washed down with a can of fanta or sunkist or sprite or coke, depending.

Oh, I do go on a bit. :)
Fuck me, any salt and vinegar

Resident there until I was 13 before moving to Sunderland. Great place to be a kid. Would live to live on the Town wall. Beaconsfield Square and Northgate was where I lived. I'm sure the blue plaques will be on my old homes, I haven't checked back in a while.

One of my mates who you know has a Facebook post on all the old Headland characters. It’s hilarious!

Hoping plenty of mentions for Billy Nunn
Back in the day you could go in there at tea time and have Fishermen , Binmen, Dole Wallers,Policeman, Doctors, Chavs all walks of life putting the World right.
The best pint of Strongarm anywhere helped like.

I suspect you might be well acquainted with a least 2 of my uncles :lol: I think they stick to the Cos these days.

Last edited:
Resident there until I was 13 before moving to Sunderland. Great place to be a kid. Would live to live on the Town wall. Beaconsfield Square and Northgate was where I lived. I'm sure the blue plaques will be on my old homes, I haven't checked back in a while.

Hoping plenty of mentions for Billy Nunn

I suspect you might be well acquainted with a least 2 of my uncles :lol: I think they stick to the Cos these days.
Aye, Billy Nunn’s mentioned a canny few times. Over 400 replies on his post, if you’re from Hartlepool, you might know Buck who posted it, well worth a look.

Aye, Billy Nunn’s mentioned a canny few times. Over 400 replies on his post, if you’re from Hartlepool, you might know Buck who posted it, well worth a look.

Think I've found him, three mutual friends but he looks like a rampant mag :lol:
edit - if its him I can't see the post :evil:

Last edited:

Back